The infamous "I" mentality | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

The infamous "I" mentality

I had this very conversation over dinner with a friend last night. He wanted to understand my interest in MBTI because he can subscribe to type theory but he thinks of himself as an true individual. He believes his biological makeup, specific life events, trauma and journey is different enough from everyone else. He believes that he's unique.

I mean, we are all unique in our experiences and mannerisms.

But the way we receive and process information will be similar to others.

I think people who have that mentality just aren't familiar with psychology and the science behind human behavior.

He is right. He is an individual, but he is also connected to others and shares behaviors and physical (neurological) functions with others. We are ourselves, but we are also part of many different larger groups.
He is his MBTI (or any other system of differentiating who we are that will take the place of MBTI), for example, and his gender, and his heritage or race, and his family, and his friends, and his citizenship, and an Earthling, etc. As all of those things we need to accept and take responsibility for the "we".
None of those things should divide us.

None of those things should divide us.
Yes. And yes to the above too.

Strength and solidarity comes with a great sense of understanding.

If people were more educated on these things, we would be less divided.

Balanced right?

Does it take more Me or more We?
Yes, it must be balanced.

Take love - one can have a sense that 'our we' exists to enrich you (your beloved), as an individual.

I don't know about which is more. Modern economics is founded on the assumption that all 'wes' are ultimately based upon the rational actions of individual 'Is' (game theory, &c.), but that tends to ignore how powerful the 'we' entity is in its own right.

that tends to ignore how powerful the 'we' entity is in its own right.

sermon-slides-the-supernatural-authority-of-jesus-luke-82639-24-638.jpg

he can subscribe to type theory but he thinks of himself as an true individual

You can be part of lots of groups and still maintain individuality! If anything, engaging in them ensures it.

A trusted source for most philosophers, thank you dragu!
The dry take on it though is that we only have our own reality to confirm. We take in information with our senses, we process it through brains.
Everything else is, within a certain context, speculation. That does not mean "my" reality is the true observation, just my own perspective on it.

@Ren, i know this is more your field of expertise. So feel free to lecture (for real).

Nah I was just being a smartass, sowwie :m187:

Wittgenstein has an interesting proof against solipsism in the Tractatus which he considers decisive, though my brain power right now is too low to recall it in detail.

Nah I was just being a smartass, sowwie :m187:

Wittgenstein has an interesting proof against solipsism in the Tractatus which he considers decisive, though my brain power right now is too low to recall it in detail.
This will take a while.

Reactions: John K