The Higgs boson and God particle | INFJ Forum

The Higgs boson and God particle

Kmal

Jan 21, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8 sx/sp
Or the God process, or whatever/however science will use to explain the God effect. A friend of mine last night was talking about the higgs boson, which some have dubbed the God particle. My first thought was, "great, now athiests and religious people can be happy." Maybe the intricacies of the understanding will always be debated, but what sort of implications could that bring for us as a species, to scientifically be able to explain the God effect? The friend replied when I asked him that, "Nah, we'll never have peace- confilict is human nature." Human nature? Sure. God nature? No.

Imagination exercise: what would happen to the human species if we finally understood the God concept and could become as close to God as possible?

Last edited:
Or the God process, or whatever/however science will use to explain the God effect. A friend of mine last night was talking about the higgs boson, which some have dubbed the God particle. My first thought was, "great, now athiests and religious people can be happy." Maybe the intricacies of the understanding will always be debated, but what sort of implications could that bring for us as a species, to scientifically be able to explain the God effect? The friend replied when I asked him that, "Nah, we'll never have peace- confilict is human nature." Human nature? Sure. God nature? No.

Imagination exercise: what would happen to the human species if we finally understood the God concept and could become as close to God as possible?

We'd stop hurting/maiming/killing others on purpose because we'd finally realize that it's the same as doing it to ourselves and God.

We'd continue to move away from religion and move towards a spiritual relationship between ourselves and Spirit.

Of course religions won't like this at all and will escalate their war on science and the people in general. They have everything to gain by the current attempts to keep everyone scared and confused. Just like the other powerful entities in the world.

In many ways I envy your generation. Yours may very well be the first one to see the results of a significant rise in spiritual consciousness and a decline in adherence to religious dogma.

Reactions: Cornerstone
Can you explain what it is in the simplest terms possible please? My google search didnt yield an easy explanation.

Reactions: acd and Kmal
Of course religions won't like this at all and will escalate their war on science and the people in general. They have everything to gain by the current attempts to keep everyone scared and confused. Just like the other powerful entities in the world.
They have but a finite gain; if their deceptions are made known, they may awaken.

In the most basic way I see to describe the higgs boson is they're trying to create the energy that makes energy exist. It's physics, so I think there are some contradictions, but I think it is reallocating the quantum energy that is everywhere, yet 'nowhere,' for whatever we need. It wouldnt be susceptible to friction making perpetual motion possible. Think jetsons! :p

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...t-this-higgs-boson-thing-really-means/259438/

Media folks like to hype it up and call it God Particle.

From wiki...

The Higgs boson is often referred to as the "God particle" by the media,[SUP][70][/SUP] after the title of Leon Lederman's popular science book on particle physics, The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?[SUP][71][/SUP][SUP][72][/SUP] While use of this term may have contributed to increased media interest,[SUP][72][/SUP] many scientists dislike it, since it overstates the particle's importance, not least since its discovery would still leave unanswered questions about the unification of quantum chromodynamics, the electroweak interaction, and gravity, as well as the ultimate origin of the universe.[SUP][70][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP] Higgs is an atheist, and is displeased that the Higgs particle is nicknamed the "God particle",[SUP][73][/SUP] because in Higgs's view the term "might offend people who are religious".[SUP][74]

[/SUP]
Lederman said he gave it the nickname "the God particle" because the particle is "so central to the state of physics today, so crucial to our understanding of the structure of matter, yet so elusive,"[SUP][70][/SUP][SUP][71][/SUP][SUP][75][/SUP] but jokingly added that a second reason was because "the publisher wouldn't let us call it the Goddamn Particle, though that might be a more appropriate title, given its villainous nature and the expense it is causing."[SUP][71]

[/SUP]
A renaming competition conducted by the science correspondent for the British Guardian newspaper chose the name "the champagne bottle boson" as the best from among their submissions: "The bottom of a champagne bottle is in the shape of the Higgs potential and is often used as an illustration in physics lectures. So it's not an embarrassingly grandiose name, it is memorable, and [it] has some physics connection too."[SUP][76]
[/SUP]

Then the search of a God particle would be unnecessary. I believe your friend was right when he said it's in our nature to want conflict. It's kind of like the human race is looking for something. And everyone is looking for the same thing in different ways, which leads to all the conflict. It's this same reason scientist are searching for this Higgs Boson particle, even though it opens up tons of new questions to be answered.

Just a thought outside the box.

First thing is, this particle is the fundemental substrate that gives atoms the qualities they have, its not God, its the quintessential buiding block to the entirety of every thing,science is not trying to explain any thing to do with God, if you're reading science explaining God you're not reading science. Science as I hope you're well aware is the empirical study and pursuit of knowledge in the objective observable universe, God is not observable in our naturallg state thus God can not be observed, however the higgs-bosson is completely observable in our universe thus it was observed, just because they nicknamed it the God particle doesn't imply shit.

First thing is, this particle is the fundemental substrate that gives atoms the qualities they have, its not God, its the quintessential buiding block to the entirety of every thing,science is not trying to explain any thing to do with God, if you're reading science explaining God you're not reading science. Science as I hope you're well aware is the empirical study and pursuit of knowledge in the objective observable universe, God is not observable in our naturallg state thus God can not be observed, however the higgs-bosson is completely observable in our universe thus it was observed, just because they nicknamed it the God particle doesn't imply shit.

Ya. honestly, the term "god particle" was something the mediawhores at your local mediaMachine became orgasmic over because it would increase ratings more than even their smoking-hot-but-totally-fake-and-overly-perky weather girl could.

that name and reference should be stricken from use in any academic circles.

the concept of God or the reference to a god or gods in a spiritual or religious sense is about as relevent to the higgs boson as.... say... my own personal decision to marry my wife was based on the color shirt my brother was wearing on the wednesday before I took my wife on our first date.

discussing the the higgs b and religion/spirituality together is like discussing goldfish racing bicycles.

-E

Ya. honestly, the term "god particle" was something the mediawhores at your local mediaMachine became orgasmic over because it would increase ratings more than even their smoking-hot-but-totally-fake-and-overly-perky weather girl could.

that name and reference should be stricken from use in any academic circles.

the concept of God or the reference to a god or gods in a spiritual or religious sense is about as relevent to the higgs boson as.... say... my own personal decision to marry my wife was based on the color shirt my brother was wearing on the wednesday before I took my wife on our first date.

discussing the the higgs b and religion/spirituality together is like discussing goldfish racing bicycles.

-E

PR'much

Well... just don't tell that to the kansas city school board, lest you rock their unintelligent design boat.

Oh wait...I think the members responsible for passing that crock of nonsense have been recalled or lost in subsequent elections.

As a christian myself, I do thank God for giving humans the intelligence and sophistication to determine what is empirically valid to be taught as science, and what is better qualified to be taught as a matter of faith, or perspective, or religion.

I just hope this new attention to the rather abstract field of partical physics doesn't end up creating something along the lines of "the intelligent physicist". I think i'd have to get a law degree exclusively to end that type of "in your face" bullshit.

I have no qualms with religion nor science, how ever alot of people do because in the old days religiin reigned supreme what it said was right and what it said was wrong was wrong but, religion has slowly been loosing traction as of late when it comes to lets say more factual concerns, I believe that science and religionare like that one kind of scale that you see out front court housrs and such they should balance each other not hinder one another.

But then again I would be much happier not living under the reign of hypocritical religious zealots and letting civil sciences take its course and get me my flying car because I want to get a fuI

Human nature is not necessarily struggle or violence, they maybe reflect how difficult it has been to survive. Forever could be could a long time though if "time" is linear and really exists.

The only sure thing I'd say about science is that its a long history of discovering what we thought we knew was either slightly or completely wrong. As for faith, that's a personal thing, but I feel that science and religion are not opposites, despite what some say. In their best moments they are about truth, discovery and illumination.

Well... just don't tell that to the kansas city school board, lest you rock their unintelligent design boat.

Oh wait...I think the members responsible for passing that crock of nonsense have been recalled or lost in subsequent elections.

As a christian myself, I do thank God for giving humans the intelligence and sophistication to determine what is empirically valid to be taught as science, and what is better qualified to be taught as a matter of faith, or perspective, or religion.

I just hope this new attention to the rather abstract field of partical physics doesn't end up creating something along the lines of "the intelligent physicist". I think i'd have to get a law degree exclusively to end that type of "in your face" bullshit.

The Kansas City school board? Intelligent design? What are you talking about?

Human nature is not necessarily struggle or violence, they maybe reflect how difficult it has been to survive. Forever could be could a long time though if "time" is linear and really exists.

The only sure thing I'd say about science is that its a long history of discovering what we thought we knew was either slightly or completely wrong. As for faith, that's a personal thing, but I feel that science and religion are not opposites, despite what some say. In their best moments they are about truth, discovery and illumination.

Not opposites... by very very distinct and seperate conceptual entities... yes. And in this case, the word phrase "god particle" has absolutely nothing to do with God, or gods, or religion, or faith, or anything. It is a poorly choosen slang terminolgy used to describe a particular concept in the field of particle physics.

It would be MORE CORRECT to call george washinton, the first president of the united states, the "god president", because he was the first president of a nation that used a particular democratic structure that later spread to many other nations across the world.

So...what would this have to do with George Washington being like God or a god? Nothing. And yet...it would be actually MORE CORRECT and MORE RELATED to ones faith than associating the Higgs Boson with God, or inferring it has something to do with religion and spirituality. At least good ole' George was an intelligent being, who in some extremely loose way did have something to do with shaping human cultures as he saw fit. Can't say the same for the good ole' Higgs B.

If it didn't feel sacreligious to me, I would probably start referring to myself as the "God Human" because it has a nice ring to it... and it's even more accurate than calling the Higgs B, the "God Particle"

Stupid slobbering media... Makes me feel even better about my decision to not own a TV

-E

The Kansas City school board? Intelligent design? What are you talking about?

Ah... the heart of the intelligent design debate was fought in some kansas city community or school district.... oh hm... are you not american? if not, you may not be familiar with what "intelligent design" is...

here's a wiki link for ya: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design

the relation I was making is that the "God Particle" has as much to do with God as "intelligent design" has to do with science.

I'd have to agree with ENT8-- a lot of organized religions are largely mythological, and have very little to do with science/reality. You can argue which one better explains our relationship with the universe, but you can't really argue that the two intersect, except perhaps in a metaphorical way.

And this particle doesn't create something out of nothing, it alters something that already exists by giving it mass. 'You' aren't your mass.

I'm not an expert, though.

Ah... the heart of the intelligent design debate was fought in some kansas city community or school district.... oh hm... are you not american? if not, you may not be familiar with what "intelligent design" is...

here's a wiki link for ya: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design

the relation I was making is that the "God Particle" has as much to do with God as "intelligent design" has to do with science.

I was raised in Kansas City, which is in Missouri. ;) I was never taught ID. ;)

I was raised in Kansas City, which is in Missouri. ;) I was never taught ID. ;)

Well, I'm pretty sure this is the KC in Kansas if I recall correctly... and I hate to put you on the spot CL...but, it would really depend on how old ya are now... since this was big news in...o0h.. i think about 2005.

WHOOPS! I was wrong... it was just Kansas state, not kansas city (there is still a kansas city in the state of kansas... but I digress...)

Here's a link to what i'm talkin bout:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/08/AR2005110801211.html

its the quintessential buiding block to the entirety of every thing
Now, what is God? It's recommended you don't immediately dismiss the idea that God can be explained through mathematics and linguistics. I'm not arguing the higgs boson is god explained- so dont worry about that. However, I do think science is trying to explain how we got here- some say it was God. The two are connected in this world, religion and science. As to whether God can be observed, I categorically disagree. He can most certainly be experienced, but not seen in the way that you cant taste your own tongue, or see what's immediately behind you.

Last edited: