The Gilad Shalit swap | INFJ Forum

The Gilad Shalit swap

GracieRuth

Permanent Fixture
Aug 19, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
The swap of one Jew for a thousand Palestinians. The more time goes by, the more this bothers me.

When I heard about the terms of the swap, the very first thing that went through my mind was little Palestinians value life. If I were Palestinian, I would be deeply insulted at the thought that a Palestinian life is only worth 1/1000 that of a Jew.

My second thought was that I'm relieved Gilad is home.

Then my mind begins a more serious inquiry into, "Then why do I still feel depressed about this?" I think it is because it appears that Israel has capitulated to terrorism. The Israel I'm in love with is the Israel that defeated Egypt, Syria, and Jordon in six days, and which provides a homeland for Jews all the world over, especially holocaust surivors and survivors of Soviet religious oppression. This new Israel that kisses the butts of terrorists is NOT an Israel I care for. Why? Because utlimately this kind of pacifist activity will only lead to MORE deaths than ever.

I take into consideration the Jewish concern for life. There is no other object so valuable to us, so holy, as the Torah Scrolls. Yet we are required to sell our Torah Scrolls to redeem a captive Jew. The captivity of Gilad Shalit has GRATED upon Jewish nerves for five years now.

But our concern for life needs to look further into the future. By caving in to terrorist demands, ALL of Israel is essentially held captive.

Besides the obvious possibility of them planning/doing violence... it may also work to build some trust. That could be an intention of it.

Or that these 1000 prisoners actually aren't dangerous, but were kept to be used as a "trading" tool. Just saying...

Reactions: muir