The first book you really loved is who you really are | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

The first book you really loved is who you really are

upload_2022-1-27_19-11-38.png

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. :)

Awww! I loved this! <3 <3

Can't remember which books I loved first. The first authors I used to binge read were Nancy Drew Mysteries, Grace Livingston Hill Christian novels, and Danielle Steele romances. My mom grew up with them and loved them and I came to love them. She introduced me to so many good books. Literature books I loved were A Little Princess, The Secret Garden, and A Basket of Flowers. And then there is Jane Eyre, Great Expectations, and Wuthering Heights. Hard to put just one book. Most of the books I grew up falling in love with were romance, mystery, adventure, or fantasy.

I'll go with Nancy Drew

51TqRgyE7ZL.jpg

Last edited:
The first book you really loved is who you really are

"Where The Wild Things Are" by: Maurice Sendak
A1wx+e0rJ2L.jpg

This book I read when I was 4, I think. I loved the illustrations. I don't know if shows "who I really [am]", but I guess there could be a correlation there.
1591285119.jpg

Last edited:
Who else loved Shel Silverstein when they were little!? I actually just learned some of his books were banned from a few schools for promoting disrespect and disobedience lol. I thought they were funny as a kid. They were also supposedly promoting satanism, violence, suicide and cannibalism. I never got that out of them but the adults on those school boards must've had their minds in the gutter to get all that out of it. I really loved Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic.

Last edited:
Who else loved Shel Silverstein when they were little!? I actually just learned some of his books were banned from a few schools for promoting disrespect and disobedience lol. I thought they were funny as a kid. They were also supposedly promoting satanism, violence, suicide and cannibalism. I never got that out of them but the adults on those school boards must've had their minds in the gutter to get all that out of it. I really loved Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic.
Wow.
We lived in a town with one of the top rated school systems in the US for a few years. They always did fun projects with the kids, one included involving picking a poem from one of Silverstein's books and making a presentation out of it. (my kiddo was in 2nd grade).

To call the book satanic etc is ridiculous. Might as well ban Mary Poppins for promoting the fanciful life of jumping into chalk paintings or having a tea party on the ceiling.

There's a polar bear in my frigidare. He like it because it's cold in there... :hearteyes:

Who else loved Shel Silverstein when they were little!?

I’m not sure why or how, but I was basically 40 (2009) before I knew who he was. I never knew of his books.

I remember certain children’s books that were my sister’s, like Maurice Sendak’s Where the Wild Things Are, but I don’t remember anything outside of The Chronicles of Narnia series, or The Hobbit that were specifically mine.

I *loved* this mass market paperback when I was an eight-year-old! :p

Cheers,
Ian

I loved different books in different ways as a kid. First love among the fiction was The Hobbit but the Narnia stories were very high up there too. I read the Narnia books the wrong way round because our library only had some of them and The Dawn Treader was the first one I came across. I liked it so much I bought a copy like the one in the picture, and I can still almost smell it's gorgeous new book scent of ink and paper when I first got it. My brother bought The Hobbit so I read his over and over - both of these got read to death and fell apart by the time we were in our late teens.

I see I'm not the only one to pick these two :) - we have good taste here I think.

I can't remember much about books from my infancy, but we must have had some. My dad read The Wind In The Willows to us when me and my middle brother were five or six, and I liked that too but not so much as the others. I'm a bit like Badger these days I suppose :tearsofjoy:

I must have read all of these (and all the rest of the Narnia books) dozens of times over since I was a child, and I still read them all now from time to time.

The little book in the picture about the weather I got when I was seven or eight I think and is another love, so it wasn't just all fiction - it was my way out of being frightened of storms and then I took off with it and ended up liking storms instead of fearing them. This book I've still got, still readable after all these years, but the cover's long gone.

upload_2022-2-3_16-28-11.png

414ReD-hFAL._SY346_.jpg image.png EEAaTWRXYAEcHeY.jpg

Similar to American history, we had a migration of people from the Southernmost part of Africa to the area of Zimbabwe today. The Afrikaners (a mix between Dutch traders, French Huguenots and German settlers) broke away from the Cape which was taken from the Dutch by the English and moved over the Drakensberg mountains looking for grazing for their cattle.

They had to face wild animals, natives who were constantly at war with each other, disease, malaria, yellow fever, horse sickness and famine. The migration was called "The Groot Trek" - the Big Trek and was done by oxen wagon and on foot.

There are many stories entrenched in the Afrikaner culture on the deeds of courage it took to survive all this.

Racheltjie de Beer is my favourite. Her name is a diminutive form for Rachel and she is considered a heroine for saving her brother Dirkie.

Story:

During the winter of 1843 Rachel's family was part of a trek from the Orange Free State in the middle of the country to the northern province Transvaal.

The trek party camped out each evening when the oxen were rested. It was during one of the nightly stopovers that one of the members realized that a calf called Frikkie, much loved by the children, was not with them.

They formed a search party in which Rachel and her six year old brother also took part. As it became dark quickly, Rachel and her brother got lost and separated from the rest of the party. The darker, the colder it became and then it started snowing.

Rachel grew up trekking and knew their chances were slim to survive, so she found an anthill that was hollowed out by an aardvark (ant eater), took off her clothes, commanded her brother to get into the anthill and covered him with the clothes. She then lay in front of the opening of the anthill to try and seal the opening from the cold.

The children were found the next morning by the trekking party. Rachel was dead, but her brother had survived.

download (1).jpg images (18).jpg

Last edited:
Yes! seeing some love for A Wrinkle In Time and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader!
Those were definitely high on my list though my favorite was the Book of Revelations. It felt a little like skipping to the end, because I'd not read much of what comes before. It was hypnotizing and I could read it over and over again.
I haven't in some time and maybe I should.

Alchemist-750x386.jpg

This is always the first book I order whenever I change audiobook platform. Picked it up as a kid and never let it go. Jeremy Iron's delivers a masterful performance in it.
I've heard very good things about this and should read it sometime <3 maybe with jeremy Irons like you say.

I'm going to go with Cordury, the little bear who lost his button and went on and adventure in a closed down department store to find it.
4BpFkU57D7Txh08vYoR-tvBskYk8-dklc0vsGrNv-7xoNHZ17_hW1Q2NiyK_b3kn6XY=w200-h300

You just sent me on a flashback spiral to kindergarten. I think we had to wear corduroy to class as part of a project? And does this book have a sad moment? I associate it with some kinda melancholy.

Who else loved Shel Silverstein when they were little!?

I remember his jacket photo. I may look sorta exactly like this now.

0*BvhrPWiHPE0XpEHD.jpg

Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery

Ooh I read a spooky story by her recently. It's worth the read.

"The House Party at Smoky Island"