The benefits of a positive attitude | INFJ Forum

The benefits of a positive attitude

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
What do you think, does thinking good thoughts equate to being happier, more fulfilled, and more productive in life? Or is it just a form of delusion?

Likewise, does a negative attitude make genuinely bad circumstances, worse?

Some people say you need to be positive in order to acheive anything in life. But what if what you have doesn't justify being positive? At what point does "realism" cross over into pessimism - even cynicism?
And is optimism a natural consequence of success and achievement, or a CAUSE of the same? In other words, do people get things because they are optimistic, or as they optimistic because repeatedly they have gotten things and have learned to expect it?

Obviously May,

Attitude will always decide your altitude in your decide.

One time positive thinking will not build positive attitude you needed, we need to consistence for it.

I everyday spend time (about one hour) with positive thinking to make that bond stronger. I feel, everyone need practice and hard work. :)

Well stress can certainly lead to or exacerbate health conditions such as cardiovascular disease and hypertension. There's nothing imagined about those.

If success was a series of destinations and your body was a vehicle, wouldn't your ability to get there depend upon its integrity (i.e. wholeness and functionality)?

I believe in having a positive attitude...I am genuinely a positive person...Always try to remain looking forward to everyday...

BUT, what do you do when no matter how positive you stay, negativity follows...

Am I doing it wrong?

What do you think, does thinking good thoughts equate to being happier, more fulfilled, and more productive in life? Or is it just a form of delusion?

If you think about it, any sort of perspective you hold can be called a delusion. Life is certainly no better if you approach it from a cynical or pessimistic perspective. Interestingly enough, however, you can equally line these cynical and pessimistic viewpoints up against an optimistic, positive outlook, and it's the positive outlook that gets the most backlash for being the least realistic, when really, neither of these approaches are even close to resembling the actual picture. It seems that people are more like to line themselves up for being surprised than disappointed if their situation turns out to be the opposite of what they've expected.

Likewise, does a negative attitude make genuinely bad circumstances, worse?

I think a negative attitude breeds more of a negative attitude, the same way a positive attitude breeds more of a positive attitude. Which one is right or wrong in the given moment doesn't really matter. In the end, I think it all boils down to which one is more beneficial in the long term. Whatever the attitude, you're going to be looking for evidence to justify it, and I believe justifying a positive attitude opens you up to more opportunities than trying to build a case for a pessimistic outlook. I'm not saying to buy into the mystical force of the law of attraction by any means here, but I do say that logically, if you look for something, you will find it... sometimes at the expense of not seeing what is in front of you. And if you're in a bad situation, you can't afford to be blinded to opportunities that could resolve the issue.

Some people say you need to be positive in order to acheive anything in life. But what if what you have doesn't justify being positive? At what point does "realism" cross over into pessimism - even cynicism?
And is optimism a natural consequence of success and achievement, or a CAUSE of the same? In other words, do people get things because they are optimistic, or as they optimistic because repeatedly they have gotten things and have learned to expect it?

That's the million dollar question right here. Personally, I think there's a fine line between any one of these points of view. I think you start crossing any of those lines when you choose to exclusively gather evidence for only one perspective over the other at consequence of ignoring the realities of the situation.

Still, if I had to choose between the lesser of the two evils, I'd pick optimism. Like I mentioned above, you're more wont to scanning the horizons for the opportunities you expect than counting the bothersome pebbles in your shoe and sinking into a victim mentality. It's no coincidence that you see more happy people steadily climbing their way to the top than you see depressed people moving at the same momentum. If you act like a victim, everyone treats you like one; and nobody is ever going to put the wounded gazelle as the head of the panel of a pack of wolves. You got to grow some balls and show that you can handle most of the tough situations that comes your way. That's the whole theory behind success, isn't it? You got where you are because you were competent enough to find a solution to the problem, not because you were able to correctly identify the appropriate emotional response.

I think that either point of view is the hand that feeds itself. The more reasons you have for remaining optimistic, the more optimistic you become, and vice versa. Fortunately, these are just lenses that you can look through; the situation itself isn't ever inherently pessimistic or optimistic, good or bad. It's whatever you choose to pay attention to that stands out and colours your perspective. And perspectives themselves are neither right or wrong. They're just choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: TinyBubbles
Well, from what I have observed our perceptive frameworks which can entail and can be shaped by our thoughts may be at the centre of our emotional responses to that which we experience. For example, if someone was to believe that storms destroying houses were the result of the presence of someone that green eyes entering a town, they incorporate that into their preceptive frameworks,and they spot someone with green eyes after their house's roof was unfortunately blown off, they may feel angry at the person with green eyes. If said belief was not part of their framework they might not have been mad, seeing the abysmal occurrence as a mere coincident and thus their emotional response may differ.Analogously to incorporate a positive outlook on life into the very manner into which one understands the world may be conducive to the production of " positive " feelings.

At the same time though we must not say that one's emotions are solely the result of one being unable to keep up the production of positive thoughts.And we must remember that sometimes it is emotional pain that helps us to appreciate happiness

There is something related to positive attitude that, to me, undergirds the whole matter. That is, do we see ourselves living in a world of abundance or of lack? If lack then there is never enough. If abundance then there is always plenty. Imagine how this might work with one's overall attutude and ability to engage in life. A prevading sese of lack may mean we hold back significantly, or that fear overshadows us excessively. A sense of abundance may give us the inner freedom to be more welcoming, giving, open.

I think this sense of abundance can come from many things...creative endeavors, from a loving relationship....for me this comes from long-term connections to religious spirituality. What I'm speaking of is a world view and a life approach in the macro...that doesn't mean we are naive or simplistic in our thinking, but it is a deeper awareness that anchors us in something greater, beyond us, that gives us assurance, peace, and possibilities, even in the midst of all life throws at us.

On a broader scale I think if we all started giving off positive energy and kept our negative thoughts to a minimum this world would be totally different.
If we insisted that the media stop with the fear mongering and senseless negativity it would help enormously.
The negative forces in the world would fail because there would be nothing for them to feed off.
The world would blossom and we'd be running the show.
Positive thoughts and positive energy is the key to our survival I think.
Even around here I can see how it works. Whenever someone posts a problem or a concern and asks for encouragement it seems to work. When we all answer with a hug or good wishes, when our hearts are in it, the person will come back and said they could feel it and really be uplifted or strengthened by the collective good. The positive flow towards the person makes a difference, if they don't resist it.