Thank you for being sexist | INFJ Forum

Thank you for being sexist

Discussion in 'Relationships and Sociology' started by slant, May 29, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by slant
  1. slant

    slant Sedated slanty

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    332
    Messages:
    10,207
    Featured Threads:
    39
    Likes Received:
    15,729
    Trophy Points:
    1,741
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    Infp
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    In every day life there is a lot of sexism, especially regarding certain topics. I've talked about a few of them: male rape, that's a hot spot for sexism.

    A more recently thread created on strippers, that was a big sexist thread.

    Why is it that we assume, we as a society, (and I'm talking mainly western society so the rest of you can go pick dandelions) think that certain genders are more prone to doing certain things when they're actually not?

    Females are not more likely to be strippers they are just paid more attention to because western society highly sexualized women rather than men, and due to that these young clad-dressed women who are stripping are stereotypically attributed to the job. What about prostitutes? Are we automatically thinking of poor, STD prone, defenseless and weak crack addicted women? Or do we stop to consider the high market of male prostitutes, a lot of whom are homosexual teens that were kicked out of their house for their orientation, or the fact that there are a lot of homeless males in general who are being forced into prostitution in career mainly dominated by men wanting to pick them up and take them for a spin, which is particularly distressing if they are not gay.

    If you think about it, we could come up with a million different examples of society's sexism.

    But did you know that western society is actually thanking us for these assumptions? Our culture makes a lot of money off of our collected sexism?

    For example, studies have shown that men in the workforce who believe a woman should be at home doing the housework make more money than those who don't: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/AheadoftheCurve/story?id=5868121&page=1

    Maybe that isn't convincing enough for you.

    Or what about how the system is so easy, and women so believable that she can make a false harassment claim against her male co-worker and most likely win, causing the men to be demoted or possibly lose their job?

    Or what about the fact that men are discriminated for work at food-joints like hooters to the point that they have to sue? http://www.caller.com/news/2009/jan/13/local-man-sues-hooters-claims-gender-bias-seeks/

    All in all, these problems are profitable for companies, lawyers, and easy for commerical advertisers to latch onto and feed you with a spoon so you'll go out and buy their products.

    Can I have a "thank you" for being sexist?

    Western money making corporations sure will give you one!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    muir likes this.
  2. Puck

    Puck Perilous Pixie
    Donor

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2009
    Threads:
    33
    Messages:
    2,142
    Likes Received:
    461
    Trophy Points:
    215
    MBTI:
    Hey Ho
    Enneagram:
    flibble
    Society is crazy. I'm glad there are people like you around to challenge it, Slant, so I can continue to hide in a corner and pretend to be an elf.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    slant likes this.
  3. NeverAmI

    NeverAmI Satisclassifaction
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2009
    Threads:
    197
    Messages:
    8,794
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    949
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    *Grabs video camera and follows Slant*
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    slant

    slant Sedated slanty

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    332
    Messages:
    10,207
    Featured Threads:
    39
    Likes Received:
    15,729
    Trophy Points:
    1,741
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    Infp
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    -off topic, just wanted to make this comment- Has anyone seen that new micheal moore film, "Capitalism: A Love Story"? At the end of that when he's putting the yellow caution tape around the banks? When my mother and I were watching that she said she could imagine me doing something like that. I'm an ac-tuuu-vissst.

    But anyway....
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. NeverAmI

    NeverAmI Satisclassifaction
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2009
    Threads:
    197
    Messages:
    8,794
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    949
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    You definitely have that fire. I haven't watched the film yet.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    slant likes this.
  6. Skathac

    Skathac <font color=#27A601>Community Member</font>

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    215
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Slant you may be listed as 16 in our country's record system, but there are these posts that possess the clarity of a much older being. You make some very good points in your post.

    Never been to a hooters, my one strip club visit was only for the experience. I like looking at the female form, although there is definitely a correlation between the more skin showing and a my ability to make rational decisions.

    I consider a women my equal, but chivalry and gentlemanlike conduct is hardwired into my DNA. I don't think of every woman as a dainty flower that cannot take care of themselves but I still hold doors open, pull chairs out, and assist any that are in distress. I'll hold doors open for men and assist any that are in distress, but I won't pull a chair out for one.

    Playing into those sexual stereotypes is part of what marketing is all about. I don't think it is healthy for our society overall to keep buying into it and let the corporations run rampant with it. It is however a mostly free country and there are alot of other issues I'd like to pound the shit out of corporations with, might as well stack this baby on it too.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    muir likes this.
  7. NeverAmI

    NeverAmI Satisclassifaction
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2009
    Threads:
    197
    Messages:
    8,794
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    949
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    We actually had an interesting thread on chivalry recently.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Skathac

    Skathac <font color=#27A601>Community Member</font>

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    215
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Yeah at the time I saw the thread my mind couldn't decide on an avenue of approach to express my thoughts on the matter. Something in the way Slant approached this made it just pop out there. *shrugs*
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. OP
    slant

    slant Sedated slanty

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    332
    Messages:
    10,207
    Featured Threads:
    39
    Likes Received:
    15,729
    Trophy Points:
    1,741
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    Infp
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    -pokes topic-

    INPUT. Wheres satya?! TLM? Indigosensor?! Restraint?! ALL OF THE PLAYAS!

    What about Questingpoet? What the heck are you all doin rather than talkin to me?!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Skathac

    Skathac <font color=#27A601>Community Member</font>

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    215
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I'm sure they'll check it out eventually bud :p Saturday and all I think QP was wanting to have some soul time this weekend.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. the

    the Si master race.
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Threads:
    479
    Messages:
    14,392
    Featured Threads:
    9
    Likes Received:
    8,780
    Trophy Points:
    1,112
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    you are welcome.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    slant likes this.
  12. Stu

    Stu .
    Donor

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2009
    Threads:
    217
    Messages:
    12,456
    Featured Threads:
    16
    Likes Received:
    12,576
    Trophy Points:
    1,761
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    .
    MBTI:
    .
    Enneagram:
    .
    If your point is that men are more likely to pay for sex therefore women are more prone to be prostitutes and that is sexist, then.....what is your point?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Sparkz

    Sparkz Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2009
    Threads:
    5
    Messages:
    87
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ENFJ
    I agree, western society sucks because of the people who take advantage of stereotypes associated with gender and sexism and propigate them for their own means.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. laurie

    laurie Snowblind in Dreamland

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2009
    Threads:
    20
    Messages:
    1,382
    Likes Received:
    96
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I think stereotypes are mainly a creation of the media, but carried on through people - because they're safe and well-known, I suppose.

    Sexism stems from the same idea, that it's something that's gone on for a long time. Lots of people don't like change, so things don't change. And companies play off what sells well, and that's stereotypes - partly because they're safe and appealing (to some), partly because they're used to comic effect.

    Unfortunately, that's business (at least in the Western world).

    But then, it's gotten a lot better than it used to be, right?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Skoffin

    Skoffin <font color=#00EE99>She Whose Name We Do Not Speak

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2009
    Threads:
    26
    Messages:
    787
    Likes Received:
    68
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INTP
    I was going to go yay at thinking I was one of those non-sexist posts in the stripper thread but after rechecking my post I realise I inadvertently did imply I only note the female variety. Whups.
    I think the same about male strippers as I do about female strippers, and I think the same about the people who go to them regardless of gender.

    Thing about false harassment claims, even if they are proven to be false the male will still be labelled under it regardless. Society is bullshit.
    Women, or anyone really, who make up stories of assault or harassment should be punished severely for it. They cripple the system, they ruin the person they lie about but they also hurt the real victims who are then put in doubt as more and more people make up nonsense.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Reon

    Reon Midnight's Garden

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2008
    Threads:
    66
    Messages:
    1,768
    Likes Received:
    323
    Trophy Points:
    627
    MBTI:
    Questioning?
    Enneagram:
    5w6
    I think men are more likely to procure the service of a stripper than a female is. And, being such, I think more female strippers are hired than male strippers. I can only think of a few clubs that have a significant amount of male strippers. That's not inherently sexist.

    The reason male prostitutes are so expensive is because they are harder to procure. Many families are willing to give up women but not men. Typically it's not economical to give up men. Unless my view of history and current prostitution rings are outdated.
    Yeah, sexism is real. Pretty much everyone knows about it and only a few people are so blatantly sexist that it completely infringes on the rights of others. Also, your link of sexist men making more money is interesting but I'm not sure how relevant it is at all.
     
  17. OP
    slant

    slant Sedated slanty

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    332
    Messages:
    10,207
    Featured Threads:
    39
    Likes Received:
    15,729
    Trophy Points:
    1,741
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    Infp
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    It's relevant because this thread is about sexism and how it is profitable.

    Wasn't that made clear in the opening post?

    For those who have asked what my point is, it's basically: sexism=money so thank you for being sexist so that big comapnies get more money in their pocket.

    It's an angle. Just an angle to approach this topic from.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Reon

    Reon Midnight's Garden

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2008
    Threads:
    66
    Messages:
    1,768
    Likes Received:
    323
    Trophy Points:
    627
    MBTI:
    Questioning?
    Enneagram:
    5w6
    I understand the point you were trying to make with your topic, I'm not sure if that particular study really showed an example of out right sexism in a particular work place (I was thinking more sexism in corporation, but the article seemed to imply that women might make less because they work in environment that doesn't make as much money and then to ad their gender on top of it.) You article IS relevant, just not to the particular brand of sexism I thought you were discussing.
     
  19. Flavus Aquila

    Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    Threads:
    323
    Messages:
    10,047
    Featured Threads:
    49
    Likes Received:
    5,613
    Trophy Points:
    1,102
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Australia
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    10000
    Sexism is such a difficult thing to get around because our species has distinct sexes that are easily identifiable. (In all but exceptional cases).

    While this distinction/difference may have no bearing on how a bank, for instance, is managed - it has an intrinsic connection to one of our three basic biological functions. Some - if not many - people cannot operate with indifference to their basic functions in almost any setting. How much office time is wasted over considerations pertaining to food and drink (especially coffee); and how much angst is expended over sex/gender issues.

    The practical solution to innate sexism (prevalent in many if not most people) can take two major approaches: combat it - and try to elevate people's operating psyche above the basic biological functions; or recognise the fact that most people will, without a lot of conscious effort interract in a sex-biased way --- and then structure environments to reduce this problem (ie. separate sex schools, work places etc.).

    The former is socially more appealing, the latter is economically and practically far more efficient.

    Should both be considered according to circumstance? Should one or the other be rejected and more importantly, why?
     
    #19 Flavus Aquila, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  20. acd

    acd Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Threads:
    143
    Messages:
    15,135
    Featured Threads:
    11
    Likes Received:
    33,453
    Trophy Points:
    1,377
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    You sure about that?
    Where are you getting this information?


    Anyway.

    I'm not trying to troll you here, slant..
    But--
    Do you think it could be sexist that you identify as a man because you hate shopping and other 'girly' things? (As you've stated someplace on this forum.)
     
Loading...

Share This Page