Thank you for being sexist | INFJ Forum

Thank you for being sexist

slant

Capitalist pig
Donor
Dec 30, 2008
MBTI
None
In every day life there is a lot of sexism, especially regarding certain topics. I've talked about a few of them: male rape, that's a hot spot for sexism.

A more recently thread created on strippers, that was a big sexist thread.

Why is it that we assume, we as a society, (and I'm talking mainly western society so the rest of you can go pick dandelions) think that certain genders are more prone to doing certain things when they're actually not?

Females are not more likely to be strippers they are just paid more attention to because western society highly sexualized women rather than men, and due to that these young clad-dressed women who are stripping are stereotypically attributed to the job. What about prostitutes? Are we automatically thinking of poor, STD prone, defenseless and weak crack addicted women? Or do we stop to consider the high market of male prostitutes, a lot of whom are homosexual teens that were kicked out of their house for their orientation, or the fact that there are a lot of homeless males in general who are being forced into prostitution in career mainly dominated by men wanting to pick them up and take them for a spin, which is particularly distressing if they are not gay.

If you think about it, we could come up with a million different examples of society's sexism.

But did you know that western society is actually thanking us for these assumptions? Our culture makes a lot of money off of our collected sexism?

For example, studies have shown that men in the workforce who believe a woman should be at home doing the housework make more money than those who don't: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/AheadoftheCurve/story?id=5868121&page=1

Maybe that isn't convincing enough for you.

Or what about how the system is so easy, and women so believable that she can make a false harassment claim against her male co-worker and most likely win, causing the men to be demoted or possibly lose their job?

Or what about the fact that men are discriminated for work at food-joints like hooters to the point that they have to sue? http://www.caller.com/news/2009/jan/13/local-man-sues-hooters-claims-gender-bias-seeks/

All in all, these problems are profitable for companies, lawyers, and easy for commerical advertisers to latch onto and feed you with a spoon so you'll go out and buy their products.

Can I have a "thank you" for being sexist?

Western money making corporations sure will give you one!

Reactions: muir
Society is crazy. I'm glad there are people like you around to challenge it, Slant, so I can continue to hide in a corner and pretend to be an elf.

Reactions: slant
*Grabs video camera and follows Slant*

-off topic, just wanted to make this comment- Has anyone seen that new micheal moore film, "Capitalism: A Love Story"? At the end of that when he's putting the yellow caution tape around the banks? When my mother and I were watching that she said she could imagine me doing something like that. I'm an ac-tuuu-vissst.

But anyway....

-off topic, just wanted to make this comment- Has anyone seen that new micheal moore film, "Capitalism: A Love Story"? At the end of that when he's putting the yellow caution tape around the banks? When my mother and I were watching that she said she could imagine me doing something like that. I'm an ac-tuuu-vissst.

But anyway....

You definitely have that fire. I haven't watched the film yet.

Slant you may be listed as 16 in our country's record system, but there are these posts that possess the clarity of a much older being. You make some very good points in your post.

Never been to a hooters, my one strip club visit was only for the experience. I like looking at the female form, although there is definitely a correlation between the more skin showing and a my ability to make rational decisions.

I consider a women my equal, but chivalry and gentlemanlike conduct is hardwired into my DNA. I don't think of every woman as a dainty flower that cannot take care of themselves but I still hold doors open, pull chairs out, and assist any that are in distress. I'll hold doors open for men and assist any that are in distress, but I won't pull a chair out for one.

Playing into those sexual stereotypes is part of what marketing is all about. I don't think it is healthy for our society overall to keep buying into it and let the corporations run rampant with it. It is however a mostly free country and there are alot of other issues I'd like to pound the shit out of corporations with, might as well stack this baby on it too.

Reactions: muir
We actually had an interesting thread on chivalry recently.

Yeah at the time I saw the thread my mind couldn't decide on an avenue of approach to express my thoughts on the matter. Something in the way Slant approached this made it just pop out there. *shrugs*

-pokes topic-

INPUT. Wheres satya?! TLM? Indigosensor?! Restraint?! ALL OF THE PLAYAS!

What about Questingpoet? What the heck are you all doin rather than talkin to me?!

I'm sure they'll check it out eventually bud :p Saturday and all I think QP was wanting to have some soul time this weekend.

you are welcome.

If your point is that men are more likely to pay for sex therefore women are more prone to be prostitutes and that is sexist, then.....what is your point?

I agree, western society sucks because of the people who take advantage of stereotypes associated with gender and sexism and propigate them for their own means.

I think stereotypes are mainly a creation of the media, but carried on through people - because they're safe and well-known, I suppose.

Sexism stems from the same idea, that it's something that's gone on for a long time. Lots of people don't like change, so things don't change. And companies play off what sells well, and that's stereotypes - partly because they're safe and appealing (to some), partly because they're used to comic effect.

Unfortunately, that's business (at least in the Western world).

But then, it's gotten a lot better than it used to be, right?

I was going to go yay at thinking I was one of those non-sexist posts in the stripper thread but after rechecking my post I realise I inadvertently did imply I only note the female variety. Whups.
I think the same about male strippers as I do about female strippers, and I think the same about the people who go to them regardless of gender.

Thing about false harassment claims, even if they are proven to be false the male will still be labelled under it regardless. Society is bullshit.
Women, or anyone really, who make up stories of assault or harassment should be punished severely for it. They cripple the system, they ruin the person they lie about but they also hurt the real victims who are then put in doubt as more and more people make up nonsense.

In every day life there is a lot of sexism, especially regarding certain topics. I've talked about a few of them: male rape, that's a hot spot for sexism.

A more recently thread created on strippers, that was a big sexist thread.

Why is it that we assume, we as a society, (and I'm talking mainly western society so the rest of you can go pick dandelions) think that certain genders are more prone to doing certain things when they're actually not?

Females are not more likely to be strippers they are just paid more attention to because western society highly sexualized women rather than men, and due to that these young clad-dressed women who are stripping are stereotypically attributed to the job.

I think men are more likely to procure the service of a stripper than a female is. And, being such, I think more female strippers are hired than male strippers. I can only think of a few clubs that have a significant amount of male strippers. That's not inherently sexist.

What about prostitutes? Are we automatically thinking of poor, STD prone, defenseless and weak crack addicted women? Or do we stop to consider the high market of male prostitutes, a lot of whom are homosexual teens that were kicked out of their house for their orientation, or the fact that there are a lot of homeless males in general who are being forced into prostitution in career mainly dominated by men wanting to pick them up and take them for a spin, which is particularly distressing if they are not gay.
The reason male prostitutes are so expensive is because they are harder to procure. Many families are willing to give up women but not men. Typically it's not economical to give up men. Unless my view of history and current prostitution rings are outdated.
If you think about it, we could come up with a million different examples of society's sexism.

But did you know that western society is actually thanking us for these assumptions? Our culture makes a lot of money off of our collected sexism?

For example, studies have shown that men in the workforce who believe a woman should be at home doing the housework make more money than those who don't: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/AheadoftheCurve/story?id=5868121&page=1

Maybe that isn't convincing enough for you.

Or what about how the system is so easy, and women so believable that she can make a false harassment claim against her male co-worker and most likely win, causing the men to be demoted or possibly lose their job?

Or what about the fact that men are discriminated for work at food-joints like hooters to the point that they have to sue? http://www.caller.com/news/2009/jan/13/local-man-sues-hooters-claims-gender-bias-seeks/

All in all, these problems are profitable for companies, lawyers, and easy for commerical advertisers to latch onto and feed you with a spoon so you'll go out and buy their products.

Western money making corporations sure will give you one!

Yeah, sexism is real. Pretty much everyone knows about it and only a few people are so blatantly sexist that it completely infringes on the rights of others. Also, your link of sexist men making more money is interesting but I'm not sure how relevant it is at all.

It's relevant because this thread is about sexism and how it is profitable.

Wasn't that made clear in the opening post?

For those who have asked what my point is, it's basically: sexism=money so thank you for being sexist so that big comapnies get more money in their pocket.

It's an angle. Just an angle to approach this topic from.

It's relevant because this thread is about sexism and how it is profitable.

Wasn't that made clear in the opening post?

For those who have asked what my point is, it's basically: sexism=money so thank you for being sexist so that big comapnies get more money in their pocket.

It's an angle. Just an angle to approach this topic from.

I understand the point you were trying to make with your topic, I'm not sure if that particular study really showed an example of out right sexism in a particular work place (I was thinking more sexism in corporation, but the article seemed to imply that women might make less because they work in environment that doesn't make as much money and then to ad their gender on top of it.) You article IS relevant, just not to the particular brand of sexism I thought you were discussing.

Sexism is such a difficult thing to get around because our species has distinct sexes that are easily identifiable. (In all but exceptional cases).

While this distinction/difference may have no bearing on how a bank, for instance, is managed - it has an intrinsic connection to one of our three basic biological functions. Some - if not many - people cannot operate with indifference to their basic functions in almost any setting. How much office time is wasted over considerations pertaining to food and drink (especially coffee); and how much angst is expended over sex/gender issues.

The practical solution to innate sexism (prevalent in many if not most people) can take two major approaches: combat it - and try to elevate people's operating psyche above the basic biological functions; or recognise the fact that most people will, without a lot of conscious effort interract in a sex-biased way --- and then structure environments to reduce this problem (ie. separate sex schools, work places etc.).

The former is socially more appealing, the latter is economically and practically far more efficient.

Should both be considered according to circumstance? Should one or the other be rejected and more importantly, why?

Last edited:

You sure about that?
Where are you getting this information?

Anyway.

I'm not trying to troll you here, slant..
But--
Do you think it could be sexist that you identify as a man because you hate shopping and other 'girly' things? (As you've stated someplace on this forum.)