the

Si master race.
Banned
Feb 17, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
Im trying to get these down so that I can one day discuss them. One thing is hanging me up though (among others). Sometimes people say things like "My Ti and Fi clash". What does this mean? What does it look like in action? It could be any of the cognitive functions, that was just an example. Im looking for links, information, anything. Help!

Reactions: sassafras
same here, i feel like i'm not informed enough about the individual cognitive functions to be able to discuss them in depth.

but from what i know of Ti and Fi, a clash between these two would like a mental tug of war between practicality and ethics, between what makes sense logically and what you feel in your heart to be correct.

Ludicrous example:

Demons are about to burst out of a well and kill everyone in town. The only way to prevent this is to throw a four year old into the well, as a sacrifice to appease the demons.

The decision-maker's Ti:
Sacrificing one child to save thousands of people makes sense.

The decision-maker's Fi:
It's wrong to kill a child.

Ludicrous example:

Demons are about to burst out of a well and kill everyone in town. The only way to prevent this is to throw a four year old into the well, as a sacrifice to appease the demons.

The decision-maker's Ti:
Sacrificing one child to save thousands of people makes sense.

The decision-maker's Fi:
It's wrong to kill a child.

Don't sacrifice the child! If we slay an innocent to free ourselves then we deserve death.

We shall fight the demons!

Reactions: rawr
Don't sacrifice the child! If we slay an innocent to free ourselves then we deserve death.

We shall fight the demons!

spoken like a true hero!

I think..it is wise to understand, then assume, what in perspective could the function mean as, in these kind of context.

Indeed like April said, in those case it can very well be rephrased like this, "It's practical, but it goes against my values."

If anyone can give me a good explanation of Si and Se I'll be extremely pleased!

Se has to do with living in the moment, being aware of the details of what is happening around you at the current time, paying attention only to the immediate context of the inputs you see rather than looking for any further connections, being physically coordinated, enjoying physical activity, indulging the senses, doing things just because they seem fun, etc.

Si has to do with having present experiences evoke past ones. It automatically compares and contrasts what is currently being experienced with something already inside you, sometimes specific events that bore similarity and sometimes (more often with those with stronger Si) social norms. Those with dominant Si tend to be uncomfortable with how strongly they perceive things to diverge from the norm (how things "break the rules"), whereas those with less mature Si might be more upset when they see strong adherence to a norm that does not make sense. In a tertiary role at least, it leads towards lots of reminiscing and perhaps nostalgia, whereas when stronger it may actively try to return the world to the way it used to be. It has to do with remembering things in great detail, and conducting in depth research so that there is more to recall later. It deals with focusing on the intended goal of a task, rather than looking for other, potentially better, outcomes. Si also seems related to muscle memory, so while it does not have the natural coordination of Si it can train to be better.

Se has to do with living in the moment, being aware of the details of what is happening around you at the current time, paying attention only to the immediate context of the inputs you see rather than looking for any further connections, being physically coordinated, enjoying physical activity, indulging the senses, doing things just because they seem fun, etc.

Si has to do with having present experiences evoke past ones. It automatically compares and contrasts what is currently being experienced with something already inside you, sometimes specific events that bore similarity and sometimes (more often with those with stronger Si) social norms. Those with dominant Si tend to be uncomfortable with how strongly they perceive things to diverge from the norm (how things "break the rules"), whereas those with less mature Si might be more upset when they see strong adherence to a norm that does not make sense. In a tertiary role at least, it leads towards lots of reminiscing and perhaps nostalgia, whereas when stronger it may actively try to return the world to the way it used to be. It has to do with remembering things in great detail, and conducting in depth research so that there is more to recall later. It deals with focusing on the intended goal of a task, rather than looking for other, potentially better, outcomes. Si also seems related to muscle memory, so while it does not have the natural coordination of Si it can train to be better.
Thank you so much! No one's managed to explain it so I understand what they mean, well done sir!

If anyone can give me a good explanation of Si and Se I'll be extremely pleased!

Si: Recalling past experiences.

Se: Perceiving the present.

Just think of Si as memory and Se as your senses as these are really the functions in their purest forms.

Ti's highest value is Truth
Fi's highest value is Truthiness
What is truthiness? I know the origin of this "term", but how do you even define it in a way that you know what you really mean? How do you qualify what is "appeal to emotion"?

Or is it just: "all my claims are instantly validated, because I'm perfect, and all these people with different way of thinking are automatically discredited by using a cool word."

I suspect that:
- all people think
- all people are interested in the truth

Last edited:
What is truthiness? I know the origin of this "term", but how do you even define it in a way that you know what you really mean? How do you qualify what is "appeal to emotion"?

Or is it just: "all my claims are instantly validated, because I'm perfect, and all these people with different way of thinking are automatically discredited by using a cool word."

I suspect that:
- all people think
- all people are interested in the truth

"I think what I believed is true."

To be on-topic, I am not sure we have a good way of assessing the functions, rather than analyzing the behavior of people with this dominant function, and then how this could be a secondary or tertiary character nuance of other people.
"I think what I believed is true."
Those are just words. You can begin a sentence with "I believe that" or "I feel that" or "In my opinion", and then state something true, or you can just state it as if it's a fact, without it being even remotely true. People's "beliefs" do not appear magically in their heads. Those are thoughts, which inevitably come from interaction with reality.

I also think it's not enough to invalidate a false claim, but it's part of the discussion to get to the source of the reason for the other mind to think the way it does, so that you actually could help it see its fault, or that you realize yours, in the process.

Those are just words. You can begin a sentence with "I believe that" or "I feel that" or "In my opinion", and then state something true, or you can just state it as if it's a fact, without it being even remotely true. People's "beliefs" do not appear magically in their heads. Those are thoughts, which inevitably come from interaction with reality.

I also think it's not enough to invalidate a false claim, but it's part of the discussion to get to the source of the reason for the other mind to think the way it does, so that you actually could help it see its fault, or that you realize yours, in the process.
Not sure if I understand correctly, but I think you've mentioned the reasons yourself?

It's between what they have vs what they see, and in cases of truthiness, what they have usually affects what they see rather than the opposite.

Not to stomp on Fi, because I'm talking about single function here. Ti working alone means attaining / finding the truth no matter what the cost. Thankfully there are other functions to help.

Actually; Truthiness is a bit of Fi+Ni or Fi+Si, IMO.

It's between what they have vs what they see, and in cases of truthiness, what they have usually affects what they see rather than the opposite.
"Have" vs "see"? Hm. Do you mean lack of openness, being prejudiced?

"Have" vs "see"? Hm. Do you mean lack of openness, being prejudiced?
It's one superlative form of it, I'd think, but that's not the case in every way.