Sun rises 2 days earlier in Greenland | INFJ Forum

Sun rises 2 days earlier in Greenland

Sep 20, 2009
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/20/sun-rise-early-greenland_n_811657.html

Vampires aren't the only ones who worry about the sun rising. After living in complete darkness for a chunk of winter, one might think Greenland citizens would be happy to finally see sunlight. But instead, the first sight of sun sent residents of Ilulissat, a town on the western coast, into a panic, with good reason - the sun supposedly rose two days early.

According to LiveScience, Ilulissat is about three degrees north of the Arctic Circle - where the sun doesn't set during summer solstice, and the sun doesn't rise on winter solstice. In other words, people living near this region experience winters without any sunlight. Ilulissat normally sees its first sunrise on January 13th - this year, the sun allegedly rose on January 11th instead.

Scientists are puzzled by this phenomenon, and theories are circulating like wildfire. Some speculations have already been squashed - the 2012 leap year and changes in constellations are both considered unlikely explanations.

Could it all just be an illusion? Maybe so, according to Thomas Posch, with Austria's Institute of Astronomy. He hypothesizes that the sun's rays may have had a stronger bend than usual, resulting in the sun appearing earlier.

But the most troublesome theory may also be the truth. Some scientists suggest that the sun rose early due to global warming, namely, Greenland's melting ice caps. In the past year, temperatures in Greenland have risen three degrees Celcius above average. As icecaps melt, the horizon sinks down as well, which makes the sun appear earlier over the horizon. According to Tim Dixon, a professor of geodesy, "It is well known that global warming is causing most of Greenland's outlet glaciers to melt faster and draw down the inland ice." That said, there is debate over whether the melting ice sheet would affect the sunrise, given the ice's eastern location.

If Greenland's early sunrise is due to global warming, it is just the tip of the iceberg (no pun intended). Beyond the commonly spoken results of global warming, there are many unusual occurrences around the world that may also be due to our changing climate. While it seems counterintuitive, the bizarre blizzards that have recently hit the US may in fact be due to a warming Arctic. Another weird result of global warming may be that satellites speed through air faster due to increased levels of carbon dioxide creating a less dense atmosphere. Global warming has also been blamed for increased allergies, raging wildfires, and the potential reintroduction of smallpox from dead corpses. Very weird.

And now, we just may have to add "early sunrise" to the list.

Do you believe this any evidence of Global warning? With the recent events posted by the media (floods, animal deaths, earthquakes etc), are this events real signs or exaggerated?

Nothing against you or the author of the article, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people use "global warming" interchangeably with "climate change". One is an effect of the other, not the same concept.

Other than that, I think it may be too early to tell for certain whether changing weather patterns and extreme weather events are happening as part of a natural cycle or due to climate change. I'd have to learn toward the latter, though.

Nothing against you or the author of the article, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people use "global warming" interchangeably with "climate change". One is an effect of the other, not the same concept.

Other than that, I think it may be too early to tell for certain whether changing weather patterns and extreme weather events are happening as part of a natural cycle or due to climate change. I'd have to learn toward the latter, though.

I am aware of the difference, so I apologize for adding the term global warning. I believe it has been ingrained in our heads to the point that we no longer recognize the difference and believe it to be the same. Of course, this is used by the right to their advantages when they see "snow falling" or other weather that's not really related to the planet warming up.

I also leaned towards the latter, although natural changes are to be expected, the rate at which they are happening is what's alarming.

I am aware of the difference, so I apologize for adding the term global warning. I believe it has been ingrained in our heads to the point that we no longer recognize the difference and believe it to be the same. Of course, this is used by the right to their advantages when they see "snow falling" or other weather that's not really related to the planet warming up.

I also leaned towards the latter, although natural changes are to be expected, the rate at which they are happening is what's alarming.

You're right...the media and politicians especially seem enamored with "global warming" and anyone who reads the news or watches TV can expect to have it drilled into their heads over and over. It's such a loaded term.

I agree...we (as humans) have been flirting with the breaking point for a while now, and who's to say we haven't passed the point of no return? (Okay, that sounds slightly dramatic...but I guess what I mean is, maybe everyone who wants to "save the earth" is too late, and we've already done all the damage necessary? I don't know, just a thought.)

What about how the earth shifts on its axis? I mean I don't know much but I doubt the early sunrise is do to global warming, it would have to be the way the earths axis is shifting.

No, when the sun rises would have nothing to do with global warming. What it means is that someone calculated wrong.

Reactions: middle1