Suicide Risk | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Suicide Risk

@wolly.green

But wouldn't saving a person from dying (such as someone on the verge of suicide) deliberately benefit that person, hence making it morally right (according to what yo just said)? We could also say that neglecting them when they cry out to you in pain (i.e. communicating their intent) is deliberately harming them.

I think there are reasons to help them from all of the major ethical orientations. It would be virtuous to do so according to the philosophies of Christianity, Buddhism, etc. We also have a duty to help them vis-a-vis the categorical imperative or something similar. Finally, there are numerous good reasons to help the person from a consequentialist perspective, even if you wanted to make the explanation based in evolutionary psychology- something like generalized reciprocity. You help that person, they help another person, and so on.... and the world becomes a better place, which ultimately benefits you in return.

On a more personal level (still consequentialism), I do not think I could live with myself if I took no action and let someone die like that without doing anything. I have thought about suicide almost every day for about 15 years now, and so letting someone do it without trying to help them would basically be admitting to myself that suicide is an acceptable course of action- that the principle of suicide itself has validity.

Suicide has to be invalid. It would hurt me too much to let it be otherwise.
I think the hang-up is whether a moral system includes an implicit obligation to individuals who don't have their full faculties.

@wolly.green
Is there an obligation to assist others (without full faculties) in your moral system? I think you have answered no.

Are parents obligated to feed their infants?

Are society and/or children obligated to care for the elderly?

Is there any obligation to care for injured people in/out of medical settings?

I think the hang-up is whether a moral system includes an implicit obligation to individuals who don't have their full faculties.

@wolly.green
Is there an obligation to assist others (without full faculties) in your moral system? I think you have answered no.

Are parents obligated to feed their infants?

Are society and/or children obligated to care for the elderly?

Is there any obligation to care for injured people in/out of medical settings?

Yes, parents are obliged to feed their infants. No societies are not obliged to care for the elderly, support individuals without full functioning faculties or provide medical care. Parental care and self defense are the only exceptions.

Yes, parents are obliged to feed their infants. No societies are not obliged to care for the elderly, support individuals without full functioning faculties or provide medical care. Parental care and self defense are the only exceptions.
Isn't that just arbitrary?

I agree with everyone who says that we should talk about it. There is too much stigma around depression and illness today, even though it's definitely been worse.