Resident palindrome
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 21, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
What "subculture" are you part of, or did you "grow up in"?

What impact does it/did it have on your life?
And your beliefs?

Do you think it shapes (shaped) how you behave and speak with people?

Stoner subculture.

Life is a haze. Weed is the love of my life.
I usually exclude myself from social interactions so I can go and blaze alone.
Or blaze with my bestie.

Second to that would be the 'conspiracy' subculture.

This can be broken down into several subcultures that most people are ignorant in regards to...
Don't really know what to say about it, although there's lots to say I'm sure.

Thirdly, I'm going with INTP 8w7.

I stand apart from most INTP's and most other 8w7's.
My own personal subculture is giving a fuck, then not giving a fuck, making the rules and then breaking the rules.. and yea, more not giving a fuck.

Fourthly, I don't know if this counts as 'sub culture'. But I was raised by the Irish in England, who are very accommodating of the English, but not the British.

Oh oh oh, and I suppose UFO subculture in some regards. I've seen things man.

Half the world believes me, the other half think I'm nuts.

All of these things combined helped create me. For the most part, I'm all face value.. 'Cept when it comes to me and commitment, in which case Im as slippery as an eel.

Last edited:
Stoner subculture.

Fourthly, I don't know if this counts as 'sub culture'. But I was raised by the Irish in England, who are very accommodating of the English, but not the British.
- What does that mean? (Just curious.)
Also, I imagine that has to shape who you are and how you behave.

Oh oh oh, and I suppose UFO subculture in some regards. I've seen things man.
My SO is really into "life on other planets" and whether they visit us.
While I agree that it is possible there is life on other planets, I think he is kinda nuts (in a warm-hearted, fuzzy way). :)

The things about my upbringing that have shaped me weren't that subculture to begin with and are really pretty common these days. My dad met my mom abroad while in the military, I was born overseas, and we settled down here. Literally the only half-Asian family in a small ass town in MN. It was traumatic having to explain to all the lefse-eating kids on the block what the hell chicken adobe is and why our house smelled like fried Asian fish.

Now I can say I'm am in the “Asian girls with freckles” subculture [pretty sure that’s a fetish somewhere]. Lucy Lu knows my feels. <3

Besides that I prefer to eat a vegetarian diet, but do eat some poultry (like chicken and turkey). I strictly eat no red meat (beef or pork). I also hate seafood. The only way this really affects my life is needing to throw a veggie burger on the grill instead of a beef patty; I'm still invited to the BBQs.

The only other thing that’s more subculture for me is my spirituality. Like yoga and meditation is totally becoming more mainstream, but “paganism” is still pretty bizarre. I have a lot of wiccan friends. No, they don’t dance around fires in the nude. Yes, we do read tarot cards and believe that it can be a form of spiritual direction. Generally, I'm not very open about my spirituality unless I feel like I'm in similar company.

Though I'm not super active in the LGBT community I do totally support it. I have a trans brother and know many gay/lesbian couples that I would consider dear friends.

- What does that mean? (Just curious.)
Also, I imagine that has to shape who you are and how you behave.

The stoner bit or?

'Classic' stoner subculture.. I got the attitude and priorities of a stoner.

I've decided that the other isn't 'sub culture', but just 'culture'. In regards to being raised by the Irish. But I suppose there is a whole Celtic subculture going on in my home town. Birds of a feather, flock together. Having an Irish family has greatly influenced my political views in Britain.

My SO is really into "life on other planets" and whether they visit us.
While I agree that it is possible there is life on other planets, I think he is kinda nuts (in a warm-hearted, fuzzy way). :)

Yea, the whole Alien/UFO issue is greatly obfuscated, complex and multi faceted. Occams razor on both side of the mainstream fense are significantly incorrect, I think.

I've witnessed numerous UFO's, which I suppose have been a major catalyst in widening my perception, and fields of interest.

Sorry that this isn't really in depth at all.. I'm never really sure where I'm going with stuff.

Good thread!

I Grew up with kids and parents of kids heavily into anthroposophy (it involves a pretty non-traditional education and copious fairies and gnomes for those of you not in the know). I guess it impacted my life in that, whether I like it or not, I am likely to look at everything from a different angle than the mainstream, prevailing views. It made me somewhat of a contrarian because it became habit to never fit in with the going cultural norms. I am more opening to the mystical/unexplained, but also because the anthroposophs are ultimately so full of shit, I am weirdly cynical/skeptical as well. Because they were anti-materialism, I have a side of me that guiltily seeks out luxuries and fripperies, perhaps to excess. It also made me both more likely to take risks (and have successes) that other people would not experience, as well as more likely to simply fail at things for lack of finding a common ground with people when I need to.

It impacted my beliefs by, on one hand, making me more wary of weird, culty groups like the anthroposophical community, and on the other hand, being way more open minded to ideas and people that deviate from the norm.

It definitely impacted my interpersonal behaviors and relationships. I am much more open to non-conformist people, and even quite uncomfortable around what I guess is the societal status quo type. It also made getting by in the world more difficult socially for me. It's clear to most people prima facie that I am coming at things from alternative perspective and that I don't quite fit in. I used to try so hard to hide this, which only made my inherent social awkwardness waaaay worse because people can sense inauthenticity a mile a way. Doing better once I started to accept myself for who I am, as well as for who I am as a product of where I came from.

EDIT: Also coming at the world from the perspective of having been raised by one mentally ill persona and one physically handicapped person. There isn't really a mentally ill subculture that we participated in, so to speak, as no one talked about mom's cray. But we were involved in the local community of blind people, and that made me vastly more interested in advocating rights of the disabled. In fact, the only serious work I ever did in law was advocacy to make sure the ADA was properly enforced in areas of public transportation and libraries for the blind. So yeah, there was that element to the subculture I came from as well.

Last edited:
Loner culture :D - The person who prefers staying in and reading a book instead of going to a social event. Pros: You enjoy your alone time and quieter activities. Cons: You delay building social network, and use your introversion or quiet, loner status as an excuse to avoid uncomfortable situations, which could challenge you and take you outside your social comfort zone. Sometimes, it makes it too easy to hide away from the world, instead of learning how to deal with it openly.

Reactions: PintoBean
It's fascinating to read these stories and learn how multi-layered people are. Thank you for sharing. :) Per usual, I’m really interested in all that you’ve written, but don’t really know how to respond.

I grew up in (and am still a reluctant part of) the 80’s and 90’s DIY punk/ hardcore/ metal culture. I’m very aware of how it shaped how I behave. In general, I get along with all different kinds of people, but I find it fascinating that when I’ve had conflicts with other subcultures (particularly peace-oriented subcultures) it is usually because we approach situations differently, and deem different behaviors acceptable or unacceptable. Friends describe me as both kind and outspoken. The outspoken, 'direct' part of my nature was definitely strengthened in that culture.

Ever since I can remember, I was part of my own culture really. As in, my own little micro-culture. I'd sort of introduce other people partially 'into it' in primary school - it's very strange, without even soliciting it, I had my own quasi small personality cult, especially in year 7 (ages 12) the guys would try and impress me and fight to sit next to me on the mat! Behaviour wise, it was a very good thing I went separate ways to them in high school, since I might have ended up in some bad places like they did unfortunately. I was 'the pack leader' in some weird way, and would easily act 'naughty' to impress them. "Don't let others drag you down" my year 7 teacher said. I remembered those words. In year 4 I introduced marbles and soon the whole school was playing them until they got banned. In year 7 I was obsessed with AC/DC and by mid year all the boys in the class were obsessed too. I quickly grew out of that phase, and it was replaced by an affinity for 60's psychedelica and 90's grunge which persited until I was 19 - now I'm more of a silence kind of guy, but once in a blue moon I'll listen to a tune, mainly classical though.

In high school I had about 8 different people I'd be semi-close friends with, hanging out with outside of school, but each belonged to separate groups. There was no sub-culture in any of my experience that I fit into or was drawn to. I went to a very sporty school, with engineering types on the one hand, and sporty types on the other. If I went to a school that was more humanities and arts focused, I think things could have been quite different. I really was in my own little culture for high school - into art, music no one else really listened to, and deeply spiritual and religious - all things which no one else had in common with me (and I went to a religious (Catholic) school). But nor do I regret going to that school, I loved it.

At uni I felt different to those who shared my same beliefs, and different to those who didn't have my beliefs. Within 2 years I felt 'a part of the uni community' in a comfortable way, but still, like everywhere I never felt like I truly belonged. But this feeling of never belonging I see as a great gift, since I no longer expect to belong anywhere outside of myself, since I'm at home within myself where I find not just myself (or that would be tedious and vain) but Other: the Divinity, the universe, and all humanity. It's a oneness, a total feeling of belonging, paradoxically arrived at through not-belonging. Not that I feel myself to be merged with what is Other in a way to loose my distinct identity and being, but more like a cleaving oneness, a unity, a solidarity.

There's much more that could be said, and certain key aspects I haven't even touched upon. Nevertheless, these particular experiences of what would seem to be a loner-culture, have helped form my own sense of individual identity, perhaps at one stage partly in relation against or apart from others, but exponentially for some time now, wholly in relation to and with others. I thus have a keen desire for each person to cultivate their individuality. Through belonging to 'my own culture' - ever influenced, fined tuned, etc., by encounters with people of all walks of life, and that grace with which each day is pregnant - my own beliefs have been solidified yet not to serve as a wall, but as a platform that helps me appreciate and see the true-self of my self, and others - a platform for authentic human encounter shed of pretense and insincerity.

Last edited:
Dysfunctional family subculture??? My parents divorced when I was 8 and I was a bit self-conscious about it as a kid. I felt kind of alienated from my dad's side of the family and my moms side oddly enough took my dad's side. I think as a result, I am very close with my mother and brother because grew up with it just being the three of us and we went through a lot of stuff together. As a result, we will all probably never live outside a 30 mi radius from one another. Also, I wonder if it influences my disinterest in marriage. I've been with my partner going on 7 years and he talks about it often. We live as a married couple, but legally, we aren't. Because it freaks me out. I imagine some day we may marry. But I always put it off to be some day in the future so that I don't have to plan for it now.

In school when I was a kid, I never really fit into a group. I had friends who were nerds and athletes and goths and punks, but I never really fit into one group. I never was really super into anything. Never really committed to an activity or hobby or genre, etc.

As an adult, I've been working in the social services field for years. I think as a result, I'm always assessing people and situations and trying to come up with resources and solutions and plans for people even when they don't ask.

Last edited:
Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever belonged to a subculture. I was kind of always doing my own thing. In elementary school I was friends with kids who were considered to be nerds, some of the cool kids and the girls who were crazy about horses. In high school I also didn't fit anywhere. I never felt the need to belong in a certain group, never even thought about it. Even now that I'm studying Japanese I don't consider myself part of the subculture with the people absolutely crazy about Japan (also sometimes negatively called 'weeaboos'). Even though I like a lot about the language, its pop culture and the country itself, I don't identify with that subculture.

I am part of some major fandoms, though I don't know if you can consider those subcultures. But some of those fandoms have had an impact on my life, I guess.

<--- Loner. .___.

''The bullied & loner kids group'' in school years, when no one else wanted to hang out with them, so they hanged out together in the breaks between the classes... Basically my life, from since kindergarten (10 years of my life). Now just a loner... Never fit in anywhere, the quiet & nerdy girl with glasses who reads books instead of going partying, mostly being alone. It definitely had a big impact on me. I'm so much more independent now and rarely ever need other people's company to be honest, though there's a risk to ''drop out'' from society if no people around (was very close to that when I was jobless for one year, add also a depression to it, lol). I feel really lonely sometimes but then I just think instead that how WEIRD it would honestly be to actually have friends in real life, since never had them and always been alone. Zero friends. It would be very strange but awesome of course! I am a naturally shy person, I've always been like this. Just quiet and observing things & people from distance ''a wallflower'' lol. I used to have horrible social anxiety and still sometimes even going to grocery makes me nervous but it's just something I have to overcome. I am a bit cautious around people in general but becoming more comfortable over time if talking with same person over and over again.

PC gaming subculture since I was young, slightly drifted from this though. By that I don't mean "I play PC games, therefore subculture", but more or less being very active on forum communities focused on PC gaming and the things the topics they tend to involve themselves in. There exists a definite subculture around this hobby with its own views on politics, social taboos, interests outside of games, inside jokes, etc. As I've grown older I've identified with it less and less, but still find something there appealing. It is a lot like nerd punk, if I were to attribute another subculture name to it. "Gamer Gate" on the anti-journalist side is its bread and butter (not something I personally agree with 100%, but do find some parts of it agreeable).

The other subculture I heavily identify with (don't laugh) is furry. I can't even begin to explain the impact it has had on my life or why it makes any sense, but there it is. Every deep friendship and relationship I've had in the past 5 years is thanks to it. And I've gotten to know many casual friends through it that live coast to coast. People I don't connect with perfectly or don't know very well but would still be comfortable offering me crash space if I were passing through. It has been a great source of happiness for me but also a great source of emotional burden. I don't think the burden has had anything to do with furry itself, but just getting unlucky with getting involved with bad apples.

Furries are generally a very open minded, approachable, and friendly bunch on the positive end. There is also a high % of gay people in the fandom and a higher % of geek-appreciation, which for me makes it really easy to feel like I'm a part of one big global family. It is really easy to establish long distance friendships because there is always a con or a get together right around the corner to hang out in person. What is really interesting to me are the depth and breadth of people involved in it - I know people working in aerospace research, student working on PdD, geologist, music video director, general gear head, etc in all sorts of age ranges, and all of us can hang out together on one common ground at a convention in a way that would otherwise never happen for such a wide group of people. It's pretty great. You can be friends with just about anyone no matter the background, and never have a shortage of interesting open minded people to meet.

But a large number of them are very cliquey as well. And there is a sense that a good chunk of the subculture sees themselves as superior than other parts of the subculture, which is a bummer. Drama is a very common thing and there are some real embarrassing bad apples on both ends up the spectrum for the subculture, it can feel like high school (the "I'm a self superior superdouche but with a popular group of friends that likes to pick on others" to "I have no social limits and you must accept me even though I just wore a diaper in the hot tub while smashing a bunch of beer bottles around"). It is easy to expose yourself to a group of people that just validate your shitty behavior, which means you never learn as a human being and can end up being a really toxic person. As such a LOT of people in the fandom use it as a means of escapism to validate their shitty behaviors. And for as many cool/interesting/wide variety of people in the fandom there are, there are just as many of the awkward stereotypes too. I don't mind the stereotypes that much though as long as they aren't being toxic to others. A mostly friendly bunch, even if they do like wearing skin tight bulge revealing tiger spandex while meowing at strangers in the street and having a shallow view of the world.

But again, I don't think this is a furry problem more than it is just a problem with a subculture that is socially-focused. I feel like the gay community runs into the same sorts of things for similar reasons.

Last edited:
Individualism. Although I do smoke weed often, but I don't feel part of any culture other than a heavy notion of Anglo-Americanism.