Subconscious Filtering Negative Phrases? | INFJ Forum

Subconscious Filtering Negative Phrases?

Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
Dec 27, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I dunno, I see a lot of people filtering out the positive out of anything anyone tells them. I don't really think this works, maybe only on stupid people who are already prone to spend given any reason to, (which is exactly the people who marketers what to trap and trick). I can't see this being applicable to real life, just marketing strategies.

It's a false accusation against other competitors. Can't be trusted because more often than not, there are other alternatives, even if they're not comparable. It gives you the impression that there are no other choices, hoping you'll take their word for it.

Last edited:
Actually it works. If I say "don't think of a cat" the immediate thing that comes to mind is a cat. This is because the brain filtered out the "don't".

We don't like being told negative things I guess.

In that case, does that mean it's better do the following when telling people negatives:

1. You are fat. > You are not thin.

2. He is poor. > He is not rich.

3. He will die. > He will not live.

4. This is the worst. > This is not the best.

yeah i've heard this before, it's that idea that your mind is naturally affirming again, and it can't conceptualize a negative thought. it would automatically convert it into a positive. if someone says don't think of a pink elephant, you're going to think of a pink elephant. likewise, if you tell yourself not to be scared, you'll focus on BEING scared and go into a negative/positive loop trying to talk yourself out of it.

(^now THAT was some random psychobabble, lol)

Actually it works. If I say "don't think of a cat" the immediate thing that comes to mind is a cat. This is because the brain filtered out the "don't".
Uh, no, it's not because we filter out the word "don't." We're simply not following directions either way, but thinking about whatever is mentioned.

Reactions: Trifoilum
Uh, no, it's not because we filter out the word "don't." We're simply not following directions either way, but thinking about whatever is mentioned.

Except we don't think about whatever is mentioned, not unless the word "think" is involved.

Hell our minds could be completely blank until someone says "don't think of something", then our brains go haywire.

Psychology gurus; please help me out?

I read from a website that;

Now I find the website personally ....suspicious, but I remembered my friend saying the same thing (in fact I searched for it because of this), and now I'm curious as per the truth of this phrase. Is this ...uuh..true? backed up? Or it's just another psychobabble?

I never really seem to think of things in negative terms.
For me, it's a problem with books and shoes, I always tell myself
"you will find this for a better price elsewhere"

I can see how your mind may filter out the negativity however I feel as though this is probably only relevant to a certain point. If our brains filtered out all negativity we'd all be living in Gan 'Eden or whatever with no "sin" happy as a lark.

"You move towards what you think about - whether it's good for you or not." ....Luis Tice

Telling oneself to "Not" eat that cookie results in the mind focusing on the cookie. The more you try "not" to do something the more you will (or at least want to).

Instead of telling oneself "I will not eat cookies every again" (which is impossible in my mind :lol:) the person needs to find out what prompts the over eating of the cookies. Once you find out what environment this occurs in - you then imagine and tell oneself that you "Do" something else in that environment or under those circumstances.

For example: I'm an emotional eater. I also have very old habits of eating while watching a movie. One would think that I should tell myself "I will not eat while watching a movie". Since this will cause me to actually visualize myself eating in a front of movie - because this is what my mind is focusing on - I tell myself " I relax while watching a movie". Then I visualize myself relaxed with my feet propped up while watching the screen. I see myself in my mind just kicked back and enjoying the show.

This has worked better - not always yet - because others eat while watching a movie - but there has been significant improvement. I am now able to watch more movies without eating - than when I do. :wink:

LastMohican has the gist of it.

Reactions: Trifoilum