Stunning pieces of famous art | INFJ Forum

Stunning pieces of famous art

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, what are the most stunning pieces of art you've ever encountered or admired? Why did they stand out? What makes them significant?

For example,

A few years ago, I took an art history class and wrote a paper on the Winged Victory: Nike of Samothrace. Although she has been significantly reconstructed, I find her form so remarkable and beautiful. The detail and dimensions of the sculpture are profoundly outstanding. There was exquisite attention to detail in this sculpture that I cannot imagine how much time and intense effort it took to construct this beauty. It still astounds me when I look at it. I would love to visit the Louvre and see this in person some day.

5287.jpg

Last edited:
Mephistopheles and Margaretta - carved from a single piece of wood
faust-double-portrait-salar-jung-museum-2.jpg

I had started documenting some of my fave paintings in my blog. Here is an example:

The Astronomer by Vermeer (1668)

The Astronomer is a painting finished in about 1668 by the Dutch Golden Age painter Johannes Vermeer. It is in oil on canvas, 51 cm × 45 cm (20"x17") and is on display at the Louvre, in Paris, France.

Nice Large Detail: http://oldmasters.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/The-Astronomer-by-Vermeer.jpg

As you can see, the Dutch artist Vermeer was a bad man with the brush. I could just copy and paste wiki gargle here but I rather just keep it brief, so if youwant to learn more about him, just look him up and you probably should cause look at that painting. In the 17th century, being a scientist was hot sh*t and many paintings of the profession were commissioned. While the identity of the scientist in the painting was never confirmed, it is believed he was a close friend of the artist and was in multiple paintings in a series, the other painting is titled, The Geographer, which depicts a similar looking man contemplating a map of sorts.

Vermeer painted in the Baroque Style and it is believed that Vermeer only painted 34 works of art and while a genius, its evident he was very underappreciated as he never became wealthy and actually left his family in debt after his death. Did he squander his money? Was he a gambler? Was there illness that drained his earnings? sounds like stuff his biographies might talk about. [The Baroque is a style of architecture, music, dance, painting, sculpture and other arts that flourished in Europe from the early 17th century until the 1740s. In the territories of the Spanish and Portuguese empires including the Iberian Peninsula it continued, together with new styles, until the first decade of the 1800s]

I came across the painting years ago, being a fan of astronomy, it often appears in science magazines and blogs but never stopped to learn about it. This was one of many paintings taken by the n*zis in WW2 that were retrieved at the end of the war by The Monument Men, yes those Monument Men.

I love the painting because it reminds me of myself whenever I spot a globe. I just have to go look at it and hopefully get to touch it. I don't know why maps and globes really grab my attention, perhaps its my vivid imagination that instantly transports me to those geographical places. I like the work in the blue table cloth, blue was a very expensive color to buy and the way Vermeer folds the patterned fabric onto itself is just f*cking bad *ss. And the geometry that is played with the eyes, take the left corner of the painting in the background, it lines up with the top of the bottle and the corner of the hutch. I'm not gonna pretend I'm some art expert but I can see something going on with those lines. It's a simple moment but I feel Vermeer captured it superbly because it inspires exploration and seeking of knowledge and I see myself as that man touching that globe. Think about this, we can all replicate this painting, but think about how much more we know about the world and universe compared to what was known to astronomers back then. We just landed yet another more sophisticated rover on planet Mars last week!!!! So when we touch the globes today....we are very lucky to have unlimited knowledge at the touch of a finger. Like literally!!

Last edited:
A few years ago, I took an art history class and wrote a paper on the Winged Victory: Nike of Samothrace.

5287.jpg

I still have a 13” replica in my Amazon cart. I wanted to buy it last year but I realized the replica has bigger boobs and I really want a true replica. Then I forgot about it until now that you posted about it. I probably will never visit France, so watching tourist footage of them being in front of the real thing has sufficed for me. This is an amazing work of art with its beautiful textures and exquisite folds of her wet garment.

Reactions: Gaze and o2b
I have three oil reproductions in my home. So, while I never saw the original, I see a rendition daily as it is in my living room. I love it because it is of a beautiful woman's face. I lover her expression which seems thought provoking and pensive and like one really doesn't know what she is deep in thought about. I love the colors.

From wiki:
La Scapigliata[n 1] (Italian for 'The Lady with Dishevelled Hair') is an unfinished painting generally attributed to the Italian High Renaissance artist Leonardo da Vinci, and dated c. 1506–8. Painted in oil, umber and white lead pigments on a small poplar wood panel, its attribution remains controversial, with several experts attributing the work to a student of Leonardo. The painting has been admired for its captivating beauty, mysterious demeanor, and mastery of sfumato.

There is no real consensus on the painting's subject, date, history or purpose. It shows an unknown woman gazing downward while her hair fills the frame behind her. Many theories regarding the subject have been proposed, such as the painting being a sketch for an uncompleted painting of Saint Anne; a study for the London version of The Virgin of the Rocks or Leda and the Swan painting, now a lost work; or—for its aesthetic value—a purposefully unfinished painting.
disheveled.jpg

One of my favorite 'modern' sculptures is named Luo Li Rong. She sculpts the female shape and fabrics in such a way that they appear life-like and stir one in their beauty. I adore how ethereal the cloth is draping across the form. It's incredible that many of these are primarily made from bronze.

luo li rong sculpture 5.jpg luo li rong sculpture 6.jpg red and black Luo Li Rong.jpgblustery day.jpg
luo li rong sculpture 2.jpg luo li rong sculpture 3.jpg luo li rong sculpture 10.jpg luo li rong sculpture.jpg