Strengthening your abilities | INFJ Forum

Strengthening your abilities

ashclayy

Jul 31, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Good Morning all,

Let me first start off by saying I am so excited to discover that I am not alone in this world. All of my life I have been titled the wise mature one. Even at an early age of 10 people would take my advice.. and by 22 I have people coming to me that are double..even triple my age that need my advice. I am able to look at someone and within seconds and get an idea of who they are behind the scenes.. by a few minutes I am able to tell you their motives and how true their hearts are. I thought everyone could do this but I guess I was wrong.

I am a very sensitive person. I am also emotional. I keep all of that inside though. When I was little I would see things before they happened. I would hear things before they happened. I would dream things before they happened. I would get visions, feelings and hunches. I was always in the know.

When I was 16 I fell madly in love. From what I can remember it was such a deep love. I got my heart broken and it did just that.. shattered into a zillion pieces. I wasn't the same after that happened. I went into a obsessive spiral and then eventually I couldn't handle the pain anymore. I shut everything off. My feelings were off. My imagination was off. My happiness was off. I was at a neutral place. I stayed like that for years. I felt like I was just "here" looking in from the outside. All of my intuitive qualities faded. I became very depressed last year. I forgot who I was and I was miserable because of it.

Last year I started realizing this and began my journey on self discovery. Flash foward to now and I am doing great. My intuition is back for the most part.. I feel connection with the outdoors as I once did and my imagination is back. Since my intuition is back, I feel as if I can tap even more into my personality. I feel like there is more than what I am experiencing now. But how? How do you do this? Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Meditation? Paying more attention to your intuition and following it?

Ashley

I wasn't the same after that happened. I went into a obsessive spiral and then eventually I couldn't handle the pain anymore. I shut everything off. My feelings were off. My imagination was off. My happiness was off. I was at a neutral place. I stayed like that for years. I felt like I was just "here" looking in from the outside. All of my intuitive qualities faded. I became very depressed last year. I forgot who I was and I was miserable because of it.

Last year I started realizing this and began my journey on self discovery. Flash foward to now and I am doing great. My intuition is back for the most part.. I feel connection with the outdoors as I once did and my imagination is back. Since my intuition is back, I feel as if I can tap even more into my personality. I feel like there is more than what I am experiencing now. But how? How do you do this? Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Meditation? Paying more attention to your intuition and following it?

I went through a similar process ~12 years ago. A relationship that was ostensibly headed towards marriage fell apart due to my emotions staging something akin to a psychic coup. Realistically, there were dozens of other factors involved aside from my relationship - namely some unresolved issues with my family and an unyielding adherence to nihilism as a personal philosophy. Those other factors loaded the gun but it was the relationship that pulled the trigger.

It was interesting because a lot of what was causing the problem was enmeshed in the same thing that often inspired and motivated me (a sixth sense about my life, a low-level emotional pull towards certain pursuits, etc). It'd served me well but suddenly it was fucking my whole life up. Like one day finding out your best friend can also betray you and try to drive the car you're both in off a cliff. So I lost trust in myself - or at least held distrust towards anything that wasn't perceptible with my analytical mind.

There is no doubt I became a colossal bore in the following years; effectively turning myself into an emotionless robot (AKA: ISTJ) who had no direction or faith. The aspect of me that fueled my endeavors was now the thing to be avoided.

Anyway, I just worked through my bullshit and grew up some. Everything turned out fine. I never had any pre-cognitive senses like you, but I certainly had emotions and intuition which restored themselves with time and use.

Reactions: Odyne
I can relate. I recently went through some really traumatic experiences and it was like a black veil shrouded over my intuition. Almost all of the things I used to use as a guide just were no longer at my disposal. I really had no idea how much I relied on them until they weren't there. It's almost like the world suddenly became one dimensional. During the first few years I felt like I had lost my vision or hearing; it was that dramatic of a change. Then as a few more years passed I reluctantly started to get used to it, but it really felt like how I was experiencing the world lost a lot of it's color. These were rough times in my life. Now, my intuition is slowly returning, but not as fast as I would like. For me, I'm wondering if it will ever return to how strong it was before. I don't really know how to strengthen these abilities, some other people on this forum may know. I've always just lived with these abilities and used them as a guide to help me. Up until they were no longer available to me I looked at them as nothing more then a heightened sense of common sense. Now I can see they are so much more than that. What happens now only time will tell :smile:

Good Morning all,

Let me first start off by saying I am so excited to discover that I am not alone in this world. All of my life I have been titled the wise mature one. Even at an early age of 10 people would take my advice.. and by 22 I have people coming to me that are double..even triple my age that need my advice. I am able to look at someone and within seconds and get an idea of who they are behind the scenes.. by a few minutes I am able to tell you their motives and how true their hearts are. I thought everyone could do this but I guess I was wrong.

I am a very sensitive person. I am also emotional. I keep all of that inside though. When I was little I would see things before they happened. I would hear things before they happened. I would dream things before they happened. I would get visions, feelings and hunches. I was always in the know.

When I was 16 I fell madly in love. From what I can remember it was such a deep love. I got my heart broken and it did just that.. shattered into a zillion pieces. I wasn't the same after that happened. I went into a obsessive spiral and then eventually I couldn't handle the pain anymore. I shut everything off. My feelings were off. My imagination was off. My happiness was off. I was at a neutral place. I stayed like that for years. I felt like I was just "here" looking in from the outside. All of my intuitive qualities faded. I became very depressed last year. I forgot who I was and I was miserable because of it.

Ashley

Hey. Your description of yourself is somewhat how i would describe myself. I understand what you mean, very strongly.
I have a very high level of intuition and visions as well to some degree.
I have gone through a journey (still am) of self discovery for most of the past 10 years.
I strongly recommend either one (or all together in a reasonable dosage): Yoga, Tai-Chi, Vipassana, Writing down your dreams (literally what you dream at night, it connects different parts of the brain together).
Going for walks is superb. Running as well.
Good luck with your journey brother.

Good Morning all,

Ashley

I went through a similar process ~12 years ago. A relationship that was ostensibly headed towards marriage fell apart due to my emotions staging something akin to a psychic coup. Realistically, there were dozens of other factors involved aside from my relationship - namely some unresolved issues with my family and an unyielding adherence to nihilism as a personal philosophy. Those other factors loaded the gun but it was the relationship that pulled the trigger.

It was interesting because a lot of what was causing the problem was enmeshed in the same thing that often inspired and motivated me (a sixth sense about my life, a low-level emotional pull towards certain pursuits, etc). It'd served me well but suddenly it was fucking my whole life up. Like one day finding out your best friend can also betray you and try to drive the car you're both in off a cliff. So I lost trust in myself - or at least held distrust towards anything that wasn't perceptible with my analytical mind.

There is no doubt I became a colossal bore in the following years; effectively turning myself into an emotionless robot (AKA: ISTJ) who had no direction or faith. The aspect of me that fueled my endeavors was now the thing to be avoided.

Anyway, I just worked through my bullshit and grew up some. Everything turned out fine. I never had any pre-cognitive senses like you, but I certainly had emotions and intuition which restored themselves with time and use.
I can relate to both stories...
I have a sneaking suspicion that to someone who is a highly sensitive person such as an INFJ and other types, that love, can be both our kryptonite and our strength/inspiration.
I won’t bore you with the details of my past love life, but I’ve had some relationships that ended up to be extremely harmful personally when they ended.
At 19 I almost succeeded in killing myself if not for a random passer-by who found me passed out in my car...it was not solely because of a relationship, but it started me on a downward spiral of depression and also brought about the realization that this life was more difficult than you think it is as a child. It overwhelmed me, and I didn’t feel I had the strength or resolve to fight all the way through it.
I think there comes a moment for everyone when they realize life is a constant struggle and not the auspicious thing you thought it was as a child, and if you haven’t yet learned how to let it roll off your back it can be frustratingly bleak.
I too have had some ESP type, psychic expressions and feelings...but what’s more I feel even as a small child that I have felt waves of what you might call collective consciousness...or maybe I was just more aware and empathetic to the world in general. I have never really had precognitive dreams, but I am convinced that as a child I would go out-of-body in my sleep; it scared the shit out of me nightly until I learned to wake myself up around age 9.
I have had many unexplainable occurrences in my life thus far...too many to put down in a short post.
To attempt to answer your question...I think, yes, your abilities can certainly be strengthened and honed by meditation, practice, etc.
But I more strongly feel that as a highly sensitive person you have to come to terms with the suffering in the world and in your life...the ideal would true acceptance, but to understand it and reach sort-of an agreement with life is a good first step (not that life still won’t fuck with you...lol).
I believe until you reach that point that the disappointments and hurt that come along will always agonize your emotional state and in turn screw up your intuitive/psychic process. As to how you reach that point, that takes a good deal of internal thought and often turmoil....and some just cannot ever reach any sort of acceptance...I really can’t help you any more than that as I think it is a personal struggle for each person.
I hope that helps.

Last edited:
When my ex broke up with me a few years ago, I lost my singing voice, and shut everything and everyone out of my life for almost a year. I just wanted to numb every feeling of pain that I could. I realized after a time that I had stopped loving myself over a boy, and that was utter ridiculousness. When I came to this realization, my intuitive hits started coming back gradually. First the feelings/knowing, then the hearing, and now the seeing is gradually getting clearer and clearer. I think that you should work from the bottom up, healing your connection to earth, your self-love and relationship, acknowledging what it taught you and release it. You can incorporate meditation/yoga and such too, definitely, but definitely focus on self-love and embracing who you are most of all.

I cannot say that I ever went through a period where I didn't use my intuition. I also wouldn't say I was "sensitive" although I am very sentimental. I did, however, have an epiphany in my mid teens where I realized that not everyone was able to ferret out hidden motivations, details and causes as I could. I rather spectacularly destroyed someone once with my insights about them and what was going on in their life. The tears and heartache made me feel ashamed and remorseful. Not because I was right, but because I had thoughtlessly shared things I knew about them as if they deserved such a glaring spotlight on their inner selves. I don't claim to be special or have powers, but I do have a strong sense of intuition. I find that it helps to recognize the intuition for what it is, to know and see it as an highly probable assumption about the situation at hand. It allows for the margin of error that is likely to occur plus it trains me to recognize the "if", as well as, that I am actually using my intuition. I never assume that what my intuition is telling me is absolutely correct. I see it as a valuable tool and recognizing when you are using it is the first step. Often, my hunches come out of nowhere. Sometimes I am interacting with someone or within a situation, then all of a sudden, this grand insight pops into my head, I re-evaluate, and adjust my actions or responses accordingly. I sincerely doubt it is your intuition that went away, only that you suppressed it and refused to acknowledge it. There is some sense of certainty that most INFJs like to employ with their intuition, like it is always right or something. More often than not, I find that insights garnered through intuition are more along the "probably so" range than "absolute" margin. Given what you shared, it would seem that you experienced a significant heartache and like a lot of people, wanted some kind of absolute understanding of the situation which wasn't forthcoming, and then, like a lot of people, turned the further heartache of "not knowing/understanding what went wrong" against yourself and decided that something was wrong with you...in this case, your intuition. Just a guess, and I'm willing to be wrong. I would suggest you learn to see the gray areas in life and never forget the variable experience of the human condition. Realizing your own foibles and not insisting that you be perfect will help heal a lot of the angst you feel toward yourself and hopefully help you open up to the richness of your inner sense of guidance.

Last edited:
Reactions: jyrffw54
Given what you shared, it would seem that you experienced a significant heartache and like a lot of people, wanted some kind of absolute understanding of the situation which wasn't forthcoming, and then, like a lot of people, turned the further heartache of "not knowing/understanding what went wrong" against yourself and decided that something was wrong with you...in this case, your intuition. Just a guess, and I'm willing to be wrong. I would suggest you learn to see the gray areas in life and never forget the variable experience of the human condition. Realizing your own foibles and not insisting that you be perfect will help heal a lot of the angst you feel toward yourself and hopefully help you open up to the richness of your inner sense of guidance.

You're dead on. I started to self destruct. I have never been hurt like that ever before and if I think about it, even now I still feel the horrible pain. I guess I never did "lose" my intuition. I did lose a huge chunk of my inner core though. I lost my imagination. I think that was the major part of why I started to get depressed. My imagination is everything to me.

I have done everything that everyone is telling me to do. It is working. My self hate has turned to self love and appreciation. I feel more whole and I actually understand myself now. I just wanted to know if there is something more I can do to recover more of who I once was before my heart got demolished. It sounds to me like I am on the right path.

You're dead on. I started to self destruct. I have never been hurt like that ever before and if I think about it, even now I still feel the horrible pain. I guess I never did "lose" my intuition. I did lose a huge chunk of my inner core though. I lost my imagination. I think that was the major part of why I started to get depressed. My imagination is everything to me.

I have done everything that everyone is telling me to do. It is working. My self hate has turned to self love and appreciation. I feel more whole and I actually understand myself now. I just wanted to know if there is something more I can do to recover more of who I once was before my heart got demolished. It sounds to me like I am on the right path.
Overall, I think it just takes time to get over something like that...and honestly you may always feel that a part of you has changed/been lost...you can either be resentful and cynical because of that or you can use it to grow into someone stronger and more aware that the love we find in our lives is a very precious thing. Hopefully someday you can look back and remember the happy memories you had together without feeling the hurt.
Good luck.

Overall, I think it just takes time to get over something like that...and honestly you may always feel that a part of you has changed/been lost...you can either be resentful and cynical because of that or you can use it to grow into someone stronger and more aware that the love we find in our lives is a very precious thing. Hopefully someday you can look back and remember the happy memories you had together without feeling the hurt.
Good luck.

Thanks! I have been dating a wonderful man for almost 4 years now. I have my struggles finding connection at times and seem to be very harsh to him. I find that I have come a long way in 4 years with him. I am thankful that he stayed by my side because he really shouldn't have. I don't have the same over powering feelings that I had for my first love but I have different feelings. Maybe I'll get the "out of body" love with this guy, and then again maybe I won't. Time will tell. I do care and appreciate him as a person and for now, that is all I need.

Reactions: Skarekrow
I am able to look at someone and within seconds and get an idea of who they are behind the scenes.. by a few minutes I am able to tell you their motives and how true their hearts are. I thought everyone could do this but I guess I was wrong.

Have you actually had confirmation/ feedback on this? I.e. do you really know, or do you just think you know? In my experience, a lot of times intuition is right, but a lot of times it's also dead wrong. It has its limits just like logic.