Quiet

i know nothing
Dec 16, 2011
aus
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
1w9
This thread is for sharing information about the crimes of multinational corporations. These companies only exist and thrive because we give them money. If you stop buying their stuff, they start losing their power.

Not all corporations are bad and their supposed badness or supposed goodness is not the point of this thread. Nor is judging others for their choices. We live in a democracy and we all have a right to make choices. Each to their own. Being informed is the best way to excercise you power as a 'consumer'

Nestle corporate crimes
http://www.corporatewatch.org.uk/?lid=240

Unethical Marketing of Artificial Baby Milk
Exploiting Farmers
Union Busting
Promotion of GM Food
The Ethiopia scandal
Illegal extraction of groundwater
Pollution
Pyres of Burning Animals
Fraudulent Labeling
Perpetuating Sexism
Promoting unhealthy food
Promoting untested nano-technology
Backlashing against Fairtrade

Reactions: wolly.green
If you want a real challenge, try naming the good ones.

Yeah, I almost prefer not to know. I'm too poor to be choosey so I end up just feeling guilty.

Reactions: wolly.green and acd
I'm too poor to be choosey so I end up just feeling guilty.

My every trip to Walmart... *sigh*

Some corporations are too big to stop giving money to:

GE-TV.gif

That's without mentioning Time-Warner, News Corp, CBS, Disney and Viacom. And that's just the TV industry.

^Well, you could always ditch your TV and internet and focus on local live acts and theater.
But then, no Breaking Bad is simply not an option for me.

As a consumer, I judge a product on its own merits - irrespective of the label/brand.

I guess that indirectly says that I don't give a shit about corporations, or how they operate. I am just interested that they provide what I, as a customer want.

Advertising, on the other hand, I kind of resent, because it attempts to tell me what to want... but this is easily remedied by avoiding advertising, using the usual means.

The problem is that the corporations have basically taken over government

Here's a link to an article about how the charity Oxfam has found that the richest 100 people made $240 billion in 2012 which is enough to end global poverty 4 times over. But usually it is those very same people who don't pay any taxes
https://rt.com/news/oxfam-report-global-inequality-357/

There are many reasons i dont support coca cola. Their harmful advertising aimed at children, the sugar content in their drinks, their use of aspartame and saccharin, the ridiculous amount of water used to make their products, the amount of environmental waste produced by making and packaging and disposing their products, for their many shoddy work practices around the world etc.

This website http://killercoke.org/ talks about some of their criminal activity aroung the world. I havent read the entire website and i do not endorse the website. But the webiste does contain some useful information

Corporations are neither good nor bad. That's the problem. They aren't living beings at all, but they keep gaining rights as if they were and hold to much sway over politicians in general and even individuals when they become monopolies.

Power corrupts.

Scary news about the Supreme Court nomination...Kavanaugh? He seems to think that iSP's should have free speech rights. I believe his view is that an ISP should be allowed to control what content is served to their customers as if they were serving the content itself and not just providing access to it.
Editorial discretion I believe.

WOW!!! WTF??

I'm ready to put out some seriously nasty scenarios for anyone hopping on that train.

Championing the cause of a corporation has got to be the worst idea in the world. Personal responsibility is at best weak due to anonymity. Corporations aren't supposed to limit themselves as people are taught culturally. They are supposed to go right up to the red line laid down by law in order to make money. There is no conscience. You get removed from leadership for not considering the controlling stockholders bottom line. Ethical motivations are usually just another way to sell the company rather than actual concerns.

People that build empires tend to think that something getting in the way of doing what they set out to do is anything but reasonable. We have rights, regulations and watchdogs just because of this type of thinking. Many even go beyond ambitious into the realm of sadistic.

Anyway, I'd be watching this SCOTUS pick. The last thing we need is a corporation deciding what information we have access to. Even I couldn't be trusted with that power, because I hate conspiracy theory and hate groups. I'd probably block em.

CocaCola is addictive. McDonalds is just fast and cheap.

And addictive and poisonous.

I like Coke and McDonald's. I know it's not good for me. I think pretty much everyone does. We have to be careful how we control access to things though, because that means someone gets to decide what is controlled.

I do believe in information and advocacy all the way. I prefer facts over emotional pleas and deception, but...people

Oh, I think I failed to mention before that corporations write lbills and hand them to our lawmakers. Sometimes they are submitted for votes as written...Not as suggestions, but word for word.

Let me just shut down my phone and computer forever.

Goodbye everyone!

Maybe that's not such a bad idea; we could all move into ashrams and legally smoke pot.

I'm down but I'll need my own pot free zone

Reactions: JennyDaniella
Reactions: Pin