Star Trek Types | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Star Trek Types

I always considered Picard to be the INTJ, though some people put him down as INFJ. That is hilariously idiotic.

Wait, there are people who type Data as anything other than INTP? o_O

Or is this one of those things where people type Picard as an INFJ instead of an INTJ.

Picard is a clear-cut, exceptionally healthy INTJ.

INFJ...Picard as an Fe-user :joycat: OMG

I'm swamped at work this morning but I'll try to get all my TNG types up today...

I'm swamped at work this morning but I'll try to get all my TNG types up today...

:bouncy:

Looking forward to this! No pressure or anything.

Not to fire any shots, but I have to confess... I think the whole INTP/INTJ Spock thing is due to bias, as in, well... anti-sensor bias. Almost like people can't envision such a beloved, treasured character of theirs possibly not being an N. Redonkulous. I've seen this with other characters too. "Well I like this character, so they have to be INFJ." :unamused: No, they really don't.

TNG: Fairly certain on these. I will admit to being outside-influenced on a few of these I originally wasn't sure of, thanks to some really strong analyses I've read online.

Jean-Luc Picard - INTJ
  • Ni: Frequently provides simple solutions to seemingly complex problems in a sudden flash of insight. Works with consistent forward momentum and rarely relies on past experience or 'the way it's always been done' as a guide. Requires considerable time alone to sort through and process his thoughts and ideas.
  • Te: Is process-driven; values planning, structure and order to get things done efficiently. In staff meetings, canvasses the entire senior staff for practical ideas ("Suggestions?") in order to exhaust all possibilities. Once the proper direction is determined, wastes no time putting the plan into motion ("Make it so!").
  • Fi: While primarily a logician, Picard holds fast to his values, particularly those involving his professional duty (e.g. the Prime Directive). Not overly expressive emotionally, but maintains moral consistency.
  • Se: Has difficulty letting himself live in the moment (note that all of Picard's romantic interests actively encourage him to do so). Discovers an affinity for creating music, but only after living an entire lifetime in another man's shoes. Occasionally enjoys cosplaying in the holodeck as an early 20th century detective.
William T. Riker - ESFP
  • Se: Riker is a natural performer. He enjoys playing a musical instrument on stage, of a type and style (jazz trombone) that favors improvisation over rote memorization. While his role as first officer generally limits showy displays, he still finds subtle ways to express himself in a unique fashion ("Rrrrrrred Alert!," the infamous chair-straddle). Charismatic, outgoing and fearless; can readily step into a new situation and thrive (ex - the Federation/Klingon officer exchange).
  • Fi: Has a distinct sense of right and wrong that will often override strict adherence to protocol. Challenges Te-aux Picard on the morality of ship and crew actions as they relate to codes of regulation. Sometimes defies orders in favor of what he feels is right (ex - The Pegasus).
  • Te: Deftly manages complex routines and issues with personnel aboard ship. Respects the chain of command (so long as his Fi values are in alignment) and will quickly dress down a junior officer for not showing proper respect.
  • Ni: Holds stubbornly to his own ideal outcomes, foremost being his desire to eventually captain the Enterprise which causes him to pass up numerous other opportunities along the way. Continues to carry a torch for Deanna and clearly sees her as his one romantic ideal, rarely pursuing anyone else in a serious manner.
Data - INTP
  • Ti: Highly systematized problem solver thanks to his positronic brain. When asked a question or faced with a dilemma, pauses to first consider, then responds with the complete truth as he understands it. Constantly works to improve his knowledge and understanding of everything. Always seeks to understand the "why" (not just the what) of any situation.
  • Ne: Lives in a world of external possibility and theory. Is fascinated by new ideas and enjoys discussing and building upon them. Often improves and refines the ideas of others, rather than suggesting the first workable idea himself.
  • Si: Utilizes existing information not as a foundation, but as a supplement for knowledge (Ti/Si). Is very interested in his past, and in knowing more about his creator Dr. Soong and his brother Lore.
  • Fe: Data isn't inherently programmed for emotion, and thus has a limited understanding of group dynamics. While always having the best intentions, he is forced to learn appropriate social cues through the framework of his experience (Ti/Si) rather than through inherent emotional comprehension, often failing at the nuances. Despite these limitations, one of his great desires is to better understand emotional reactions in order to more readily "fit in."
Dr. Beverly Crusher - ENTP
  • Ne: Actively seeks the most creative solutions and openly embraces new ideas in her field of expertise. Has a broad variety of outside interests and seems to find time for all of them. Adapts well to changing circumstances. Is exceedingly open-minded (ffs she had sex with a ghost).
  • Ti: Adept problem solver who works well on the fly. Doesn't let protocol get in the way of making the right calls in the most efficient manner. Stands up to Picard's need to rigidly enforce the rules (Te) on a regular basis. Tends toward an irreverent sense of humor, particularly compared to the rest of the senior staff.
  • Fe: Effectively communicates urgency, using emotion-tinged rhetoric when necessary. Shows ample concern for her patients. Makes an effort to be a good friend to all the main cast of characters.
  • Si: Retreats and broods when stressed. Occasionally slips up on the details at work; Nurse Ogawa (Si-dom) helps to fill in the gaps in this regard.

...more later :blush:

Last edited:
TNG: Fairly certain on these. I will admit to being outside-influenced on a few of these I originally wasn't sure of, thanks to some really strong analyses I've read online.

Jean-Luc Picard - INTJ
  • Ni: Frequently provides simple solutions to seemingly complex problems in a sudden flash of insight. Works with consistent forward momentum and rarely relies on past experience or 'the way it's always been done' as a guide. Requires considerable time alone to sort through and process his thoughts and ideas.
  • Te: Is process-driven; values planning, structure and order to get things done efficiently. In staff meetings, canvasses the entire senior staff for practical ideas ("Suggestions?") in order to exhaust all possibilities. Once the proper direction is determined, wastes no time putting the plan into motion ("Make it so!").
  • Fi: While primarily a logician, Picard holds fast to his values, particularly those involving his professional duty (e.g. the Prime Directive). Not overly expressive emotionally, but maintains moral consistency.
  • Se: Has difficulty letting himself live in the moment (note that all of Picard's romantic interests actively encourage him to do so). Discovers an affinity for creating music, but only after living an entire lifetime in another man's shoes. Occasionally enjoys cosplaying in the holodeck as an early 20th century detective.
William T. Riker - ESFP
  • Se: Riker is a natural performer. He enjoys playing a musical instrument on stage, of a type and style (jazz trombone) that favors improvisation over rote memorization. While his role as first officer generally limits showy displays, he still finds subtle ways to express himself in a unique fashion ("Rrrrrrred Alert!," the infamous chair-straddle). Charismatic, outgoing and fearless; can readily step into a new situation and thrive (ex - the Federation/Klingon officer exchange).
  • Fi: Has a distinct sense of right and wrong that will often override strict adherence to protocol. Challenges Te-aux Picard on the morality of ship and crew actions as they relate to codes of regulation. Sometimes defies orders in favor of what he feels is right (ex - The Pegasus).
  • Te: Deftly manages complex routines and issues with personnel aboard ship. Respects the chain of command (so long as his Fi values are in alignment) and will quickly dress down a junior officer for not showing proper respect.
  • Ni: Holds stubbornly to his own ideal outcomes, foremost being his desire to eventually captain the Enterprise which causes him to pass up numerous other opportunities along the way. Continues to carry a torch for Deanna and clearly sees her as his one romantic ideal, rarely pursuing anyone else in a serious manner.
Data - INTP
  • Ti: Highly systematized problem solver thanks to his positronic brain. When asked a question or faced with a dilemma, pauses to first consider, then responds with the complete truth as he understands it. Constantly works to improve his knowledge and understanding of everything. Always seeks to understand the "why" (not just the what) of any situation.
  • Ne: Lives in a world of external possibility and theory. Is fascinated by new ideas and enjoys discussing and building upon them. Often improves and refines the ideas of others, rather than suggesting the first workable idea himself.
  • Si: Utilizes existing information not as a foundation, but as a supplement for knowledge (Ti/Si). Is very interested in his past, and in knowing more about his creator Dr. Soong and his brother Lore.
  • Fe: Data isn't inherently programmed for emotion, and thus has a limited understanding of group dynamics. While always having the best intentions, he is forced to learn appropriate social cues through the framework of his experience (Ti/Si) rather than through inherent emotional comprehension, often failing at the nuances. Despite these limitations, one of his great desires is to better understand emotional reactions in order to more readily "fit in."
  • Ne: Actively seeks the most creative solutions and openly embraces new ideas in her field of expertise. Has a broad variety of outside interests and seems to find time for all of them. Adapts well to changing circumstances. Is exceedingly open-minded (ffs she had sex with a ghost).
  • Ti: Adept problem solver who works well on the fly. Doesn't let protocol get in the way of making the right calls in the most efficient manner. Stands up to Picard's need to rigidly enforce the rules (Te) on a regular basis. Tends toward an irreverent sense of humor, particularly compared to the rest of the senior staff.
  • Fe: Effectively communicates urgency, using emotion-tinged rhetoric when necessary. Shows ample concern for her patients. Makes an effort to be a good friend to all the main cast of characters.
  • Si: Retreats and broods when stressed. Occasionally slips up on the details at work; Nurse Ogawa (Si-dom) helps to fill in the gaps in this regard.

Btw, this is brilliant! :kissingheart:

Jean-Luc Picard - INTJ
William T. Riker - ESFP
Data - INTP

LOL, Picard and Riker are duals :D! They actually complement each other in commanding the Enterprise, that is, when they don't step in each other's way, like when Riker doesn't respect the chain of command for some reason. But I don't think that it harms the relationship, as they are both capable of understanding one another.

I can't wait for the next bunch. Will you do Guinan and Wesley too?

LOL, Picard and Riker are duals :D! They actually complement each other in commanding the Enterprise, that is, when they don't step in each other's way, like when Riker doesn't respect the chain of command for some reason. But I don't think that it harms the relationship, as they are both capable of understanding one another.

I can't wait for the next bunch. Will you do Guinan and Wesley too?

Yes! Once I figured out they were duals I started looking at their interactions in a completely different way. They frequently disagree, but almost always come to an amenable consensus. Each is an excellent complement to the other, which drives their effectiveness as a team.

I haven't decided how much depth I'll explore on all the secondary characters yet but I will definitely put something out there for them.

good instead of evil ;)
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Picard - INTJ
William T. Riker - ESFP
Data - INTP

Really great assessment! I'm so looking forward to Deanna (lol @Happy Phantom that my autocorrect wanted to say 'Dean') and YUSSS GUINAN, Q, and everyone else. Thanks for taking the time to do this. ❤

Doing INTJ the right way. The healthy way. I think people don't see it sometimes because INTJs are usually villainized.

INTXs usually are :(

They're just too awesome to believe when they're using their powers for good instead of evil ;)
:heartu:to all the above. It's important to make the distinction between healthy types and not their typical negative stereotypes.

It's important to make the distinction between healthy types and not their typical negative stereotypes.

YES!!!

*ahem... clears throat*

Pardon the enthusiasm, I just think this happens far too often. I remember having a lengthy discussion with a member on here about INTJs in particular, wherein she was transferring her negative experiences with an unhealthy INTJ onto the type as a blanket negative bias. It's good to take a step back and consider whether an individual is coming from an unhealthy, or a healthy state of mind, regardless of it being a fictional character, or a real individual.

@infinite dreams

Your analyses of the characters were wonderful once again, considering not only the functions as they might manifest, but how they might manifest depending on their order in one's stack. The nuances between aux and dom Ne, for instance. It's awesome to see that captured and articulated so well. :smile:

YES!!!

*ahem... clears throat*

Pardon the enthusiasm, I just think this happens far too often. I remember having a lengthy discussion with a member on here about INTJs in particular, wherein she was transferring her negative experiences with an unhealthy INTJ onto the type as a blanket negative bias. It's good to take a step back and consider whether an individual is coming from an unhealthy, or a healthy state of mind, regardless of it being a fictional character, or a real individual.

@infinite dreams

Your analyses of the characters were wonderful once again, considering not only the functions as they might manifest, but how they might manifest depending on their order in one's stack. The nuances between aux and dom Ne, for instance. It's awesome to see that captured and articulated so well. :smile:
Well said, as usual. :lovey:

Deanna Troi - INFJ
  • Ni: Deanna is sharply insightful into the mindsets of others. She is often called out by fans of the show for ‘stating the obvious,’ but this is short sighted. Everyone makes observations about others that seem obvious in the moment. The difference with Deanna is that hers are almost always right. This isn’t directly because of her half-Betazed sense of “empathy,” but rather her accurate interpretation of the information that sense provides.
  • Fe: Warm and effortlessly comforting. Often called upon to mediate disputes and to enhance harmonious first contact with alien races. Highly effective as a "counselor" even when simply speaking to a friend in need. Skilled at discerning the motivations and attitudes of others, and at helping them determine the best course of action.
  • Ti: Despite her warm outward demeanor, Deanna is highly analytical and communicates factual information clearly and effectively. Displays a mischievous, quirky sense of humor, especially when paired with her friend (and fellow N-dom Ti-user) Dr. Crusher.
  • Se: Deanna typically eschews the overly flashy, gaudy and loud, as evidenced by her always-uncomfortable interactions with mom (and warp factor 10 Se-dom) Lwaxana. Displays classic inferior-Se overindulgence through her weakness for chocolate.

Worf - ISFJ
  • Si: Steadfastly adheres to codes of honor, ceremony and tradition that date back centuries. Shows meticulous attention to detail. Places high value on the importance of his own past and that of the Klingon people. Staunchly defends the honor of his house (i.e., the memory of his father).
  • Fe: Self-sacrificing and duty-bound; places the needs of others ahead of his own. Openly critical of those he perceives as less honorable, lazy, etc. (thus failing to pull their weight in the group dynamic). Loves his family (including his adoptive parents), but is uncomfortable being the center of attention.
  • Ti: Maintains a serious demeanor, particularly while working. Highly self-disciplined; tends to be much harder on himself than on others. Can lead when necessary, but prefers to support the team in a secondary/background role.
  • Ne: Demonstrates little patience for foolishness or revelry. Usually pushes back against too many new ideas, but can derive new solutions when pressed - for instance, it was Worf's idea to request the highly uncommon practice of discommodation in order to protect the honor of his brother (Fe/Ne).
Geordi La Forge - ENFP
  • Ne: Geordi is a fountain of ideas. Enthusiastic, creative and energetic, all of which help him to succeed in a role normally reserved for more analytical types. Enjoys a close friendship and excellent working relationship with fellow Ne-user Data.
  • Fi: Deeply in touch and comfortable with his own emotions. Often goes with his gut feeling when solving problems rather than ticking off all the logical boxes.
  • Te: Effective with organizing repair processes, conducting maintenance and keeping complex engineering systems working smoothly. Delegates tasks efficiently and expects everyone to do their job (e.g. Barclay).
  • Si: Tends to trust in others for detail work while he focuses on the big picture (as opposed to S-type engineers Scotty and O’Brien who take a more hands-on approach). At his worst can Fi/Si loop into some weird places (ahem, Leah Brahms).
Wesley Crusher - DGAF. Seriously, shut up Wesley. :tongueout: Nah lol, INFP
  • Fi: Approaches almost all situations in terms of his own view of right and wrong, which he is continually refining. Asks pointed questions concerning the interpersonal impact of particular actions, which serve to help him understand the consequences (and convey their importance to others).
  • Ne: Most effectively solves problems by bouncing ideas around; especially thrives in this regard when working with fellow Ne-users Geordi and Data. Fast learner who can readily intuit improvements to existing processes (Ne/Si).
  • Si: Has a keen memory for specifics which he can easily access when needed. Interested in learning more about his father and other elements of his past.
  • Te: Despite being highly intelligent, continually harbors doubts about himself and his ability to fit properly into Starfleet. Often tries too hard to 'act the part' and thus comes across as a kiss-ass around superiors.

Others: Guinan INFJ, Q ENTP, Tasha Yar ISTP, Reg Barclay INTP. May come back to these and others at some point and dive deeper.

PS - Also, I’ll include O’Brien in my DS9 profiles :blush:

Last edited:
There was a recent post from August 2020 from screenrant that profiled the TNG crew. Not sure I agree with all of it but I think Deanna is the most obvious as an INFJ.

Reactions: flower