Speaking Employerese | INFJ Forum

Speaking Employerese

evalura

Regular Poster
Jun 19, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
My boss popped in on me at work yesterday. I really like this person but the whole time he was there I was aprehensive because sooner or later I knew he going to ask me a question that I would have to answer quickly and to his satisfaction. There's a different language spoken in the business world. For instance, If the boss were to ask me why I didn't get better sales last week, there's no point in telling him that barely anyone came into the showroom. In Employerese any excuse isn't a good excuse. Any question that's asked is a loaded one, it's just a matter of figuring out what he wants to hear. Also, I need to know all the specifics to a question to come up with an instant answer, broad questions makes my mind whirl like a gyroscope. The problem is that when a question is directed at me it takes a moment for my brain to sort through all of the possibilities. If I rush my answer there's a 50 -50 chance I'll miss the mark. This pause makes me feel like I appear stupid. I've spent my life secretly wondering if I actually am stupid.
After the boss left I went to the movies with my daughter. I went to bed last night at my normal time but today I feel completely fried. Does anyone related to this?

I crossed paths with the owner of the company I work for just this morning.
He asked me how sales were this month. (We are a printer)
I replied that we have been "Steady".

I then said to him, how's that for a safe answer?
I didn't get a reply. He is hard to read. Always gives you a look that makes you think you are on his shit list, when in fact he may be thinking the opposite.

I worked for another company in the 90's who's owner was into that corporate babble lingo/slang speak.

"We leveraged our position to better partner with our end users, and our vendors on the front end, to create a complete synergistic landscape within the B2B paradigm."
:kev:

I think you should read this thread: http://forum.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=3391&highlight=slow+thinker

It really shed a lot of light on this problem when I felt the same way as you did. Hopefully you'll see how it happens often and it evens out for all the other traits we have. ^^

I suppose I should reply in that thread, but I am here already.

I don't understand why I can't have just 5/10ths of a second to compile my thoughts before giving an answer with some people!
Then I am just pissed off! :mad2:

Last edited:
I crossed paths with the owner of the company I work for just this morning.
He asked me how sales were this month. (We are a printer)
I replied that we have been "Steady".

I then said to him, how's that for a safe answer?
I didn't get a reply. He is hard to read. Always gives you a look that makes you think you are on his shit list, when in fact he may be thinking the opposite.

I worked for another company in the 90's who's owner was into that corporate babble lingo/slang speak.

"We leveraged our position to better partner with our end users, and our vendors on the front end, to create a complete synergistic landscape within the B2B paradigm."
:kev:

I suppose I should reply in that thread, but I am here already.

I don't understand why I can't have just 5/10ths of a second to compile my thoughts before giving an answer with some people!
Then I am just pissed off! :mad2:

It sounds like a good answer to me! It just bugs me that the boss's question was used to size you up. I get that all the time. My, how clever they are.