Space | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Space

I don't think there are any aliens ahead of us in development in our galaxy or they'd be here already. If we head on out ourselves and meet aliens out there then it all depends - if we compete for the same types of space real estate and resources then Darwin probably rules and it becomes survival of the fittest. Doesn't necessarily mean warfare - it could be as simple as who can tolerate the widest range of interstellar environments at the lowest expenditure of resources, who self-replicates more quickly, etc.

Gosh that first question you asked Willenstarke is as big as space itself. And is this the only universe? In which case are you asking the question about just our own universe or about the matrix that holds all the universes (if there are any others)? This article is an interesting take on the subject:

https://www.edge.org/response-detail/26594

That's a good read. I do like the idea of endless energy, but how and where it would come from would worry me. As it could be a natural resource from another planet or man-made with potential dangers.

I have thought about multiverse. I mean is there another universe out there besides the one where living in? Lol all this sciencey stuff .

Good points @JennyDaniella, if other humans do exist then it's possible that they went through similar events we went through. Although, I wonder how technologically advance they are with the possibility that they do exist. Hopefully one day space travel will become prominent (gonna need that Millennium Falcon). I'd love to travel to all the planets even Pluto.

Thoughts on space travel?

Hmmm, my thoughts on space travel is hopeful; however, my gut feeling is telling me I won’t ever see or witness a time that interstellar travel will be possible in my lifetime, or even my kids’ lifetime.

Even a typical space travel is a very difficult and tedious process that involve unpredictable dangers, disruptions, and/or mechanical break-downs.

Eventually there will come a time that space travel will be a reality, but it’s going to be centuries till that happens. It’s still an unknown right now due to the complexities and the amount of physics required to create such a device. To find a way on how to create a machinery/vehicle to travel at the speed of light is going to a tremendously difficult feat. You have to also take into account on Einstein general theory of relativity. The whole ‘mass reaches infinity’ theory. We will have to find a way that a spacecraft is physically capable in traveling at the speed of light.

Is it possible though? Hmmm, I think it is. But we have a lot more advancement to do! We somehow have to find a loophole or short-cut to make such a travel possible.

Wbu? What are your thoughts?

Hmmm, my thoughts on space travel is hopeful; however, my gut feeling is telling me I won’t ever see or witness a time that interstellar travel will be possible in my lifetime, or even my kids’ lifetime.

Even a typical space travel is a very difficult and tedious process that involve unpredictable dangers, disruptions, and/or mechanical break-downs.

Eventually there will come a time that space travel will be a reality, but it’s going to be centuries till that happens. It’s still an unknown right now due to the complexities and the amount of physics required to create such a device. To find a way on how to create a machinery/vehicle to travel at the speed of light is going to a tremendously difficult feat. You have to also take into account on Einstein general theory of relativity. The whole ‘mass reaches infinity’ theory. We will have to find a way that a spacecraft is physically capable in traveling at the speed of light.

Is it possible though? Hmmm, I think it is. But we have a lot more advancement to do! We somehow have to find a loophole or short-cut to make such a travel possible.

I want one of these - when I was a kid I though how if you had a machine that could alter probability it would be like magic. Good to see some other weirdo had the same idea.

But more practically, I think space travel will be possible - like you Jenny I don't think I'll live to see it beyond maybe an attempt to go back to the moon, but I'm a lot older than you so you should see a lot more with any luck. I bet we'll be all over the solar system in a few hundred years. Interstellar - yes that too, but the trouble is there'll be no coming back to where we started because of time and space dilation. If we had the ability to accelerate constantly at 1G we'd be able to get 440 Million light years in 20 years as we experience it in the spaceship - but the earth would have aged 440 Million years. You've than got 20 years to stop, and 40 years to come back, so you'd be away 80 years, but the earth would be 2.5 Billion years in the future. You could get to nearer stars and back in a few years or a couple of decades, but your friends and family would have aged a lot more than you .

Maybe there's a way to warp space so that we can travel stellar distances without this problem. The way the technology might work is a bit spooky though - I've seen suggestions that sound a bit like putting a black hole near each of the places you want to travel between. And the same technology, if it is possible, would allow you to travel back in time to before you started. I can think of all kinds of ways we could trash ourselves with that kind of stuff - I dread to think what a breakdown would be like! Great to speculate about this at a safe distance though.

@JennyDaniella , @Willenstarke where would you like to visit if you had the chance? I'd love to take my camera to Saturn and Jupiter. I'd love to stand on one of their moons and have the giant planets big in the sky with the rings clear and some little moons passing in front of the planet as dark spots. I'd like to see what the sky looks like ablaze with stars in the centre of the galaxy, and I'd like to see what our galaxy looks like from maybe 50,000 light years above or below it.

I do hope one day space travel will become real. I have to agree that hopefully one day our future generations will be able to visit another planet or even out of the Milky Way (that reminds me I have to go buy some candy for Halloween lol). Also, having the ability to travel at the speed of light is no easy feat and besides building the machine that can do it. There's also the energy or fuel needed as I'd imagine it would take some sort of intricate power source.

I want one of these - when I was a kid I though how if you had a machine that could alter probability it would be like magic. Good to see some other weirdo had the same idea.

But more practically, I think space travel will be possible - like you Jenny I don't think I'll live to see it beyond maybe an attempt to go back to the moon, but I'm a lot older than you so you should see a lot more with any luck. I bet we'll be all over the solar system in a few hundred years. Interstellar - yes that too, but the trouble is there'll be no coming back to where we started because of time and space dilation. If we had the ability to accelerate constantly at 1G we'd be able to get 440 Million light years in 20 years as we experience it in the spaceship - but the earth would have aged 440 Million years. You've than got 20 years to stop, and 40 years to come back, so you'd be away 80 years, but the earth would be 2.5 Billion years in the future. You could get to nearer stars and back in a few years or a couple of decades, but your friends and family would have aged a lot more than you .

Maybe there's a way to warp space so that we can travel stellar distances without this problem. The way the technology might work is a bit spooky though - I've seen suggestions that sound a bit like putting a black hole near each of the places you want to travel between. And the same technology, if it is possible, would allow you to travel back in time to before you started. I can think of all kinds of ways we could trash ourselves with that kind of stuff - I dread to think what a breakdown would be like! Great to speculate about this at a safe distance though.

@JennyDaniella , @Willenstarke where would you like to visit if you had the chance? I'd love to take my camera to Saturn and Jupiter. I'd love to stand on one of their moons and have the giant planets big in the sky with the rings clear and some little moons passing in front of the planet as dark spots. I'd like to see what the sky looks like ablaze with stars in the centre of the galaxy, and I'd like to see what our galaxy looks like from maybe 50,000 light years above or below it.

Hmm tough one, I'd probably try to find the center of the universe if possible. Although, planet hopping sounds more fun as there would be undiscovered places. I do like the Interstellar travel, but having others age while you remain about the same age makes me a bit sad.

Definitely Callisto! I always wanted to see what Callisto was like, it's such a beautiful and interesting moon. Another moon of Jupiter's would be Ganymede as well, can't imagine how it would be seeing massive Jupiter from there. Definitely would stay away from Io's blazing inferno though, haha!

I actually have this little interactive astronomy software that I was fortunate enough to download and was offered to me in my astronomy class last semester for university, it's an interesting software. You have the options in "traveling" to Mars, Venus, Mercury, the moon, and have this idea on what it be like to stand on their surface and observe the night sky. It's a neat thing. I need to budge around with it more.

One thing I would love to do is get myself a telescope. I always wanted to get myself one and be able to get myself a good shot of the moon, Venus, and some nearby galaxies.

Wbu? You have a telescope?

Definitely Callisto! I always wanted to see what Callisto was like, it's such a beautiful and interesting moon. Another moon of Jupiter's would be Ganymede as well, can't imagine how it would be seeing massive Jupiter from there. Definitely would stay away from Io's blazing inferno though, haha!

I actually have this little interactive astronomy software that I was fortunate enough to download and was offered to me in my astronomy class last semester for university, it's an interesting software. You have the options in "traveling" to Mars, Venus, Mercury, the moon, and have this idea on what it be like to stand on their surface and observe the night sky. It's a neat thing. I need to budge around with it more.

One thing I would love to do is get myself a telescope. I always wanted to get myself one and be able to get myself a good shot of the moon, Venus, and some nearby galaxies.

Wbu? You have a telescope?

Europa too! Someday we'll be out there drilling down into that sea beneath the ice - it would be amazing if we found life there. The astronomy programs are fun aren't they - I posted a screenshot in James's thread of what the night sky looked like from Bethlehem on 25 Dec the year Christ was supposed to have been born. The program authors claim the program's accurate to about 5000BCE. Isn't Callisto supposed to have a similar deep underground sea?

I've got a telescope I bought quite a long time ago, but I've only set it up and used it a couple of times. It's completely manual and you need a clear view of the night sky and a lot of patience - and good muscles 'cos it's heavy. I made a mistake buying it - I should have saved up more and gone for an automated one. That was 15 years ago, and the kit out there now has moved a long way since as far as I can see - a bit like the way digital cameras have evolved. They more or less set themselves up, and find and track what you want to see using software on a tablet or laptop. I think you can even sit inside and see what they are looking at on your computer screen - but imho that's no better than looking at any other online astronomy picture - I want to see things for real if I bother that much to set up, not at second hand.

I've found you can get great pictures of the moon with a digital system camera, a long focus lens and photoshop. I can't easily attach my system camera to the telescope without buying another adaptor, and optically the telephoto lenses for my camera are better than the telescope. I'll have to take a few more and post them! I posted a picture of Jupiter and its moons I took with a compact camera through the telescope in the Baby the Stars Shine Bright thread, but it's very hard to make it work well - got a long way to go before I can get a good shot of that sort myself.

Not up to the standard of the amazing Hubble Telescope pictures, but it's possible to get interesting shots of the Moon with an ordinary SLR and a 300mm zoom. Took this one this evening 3 days before full moon.

View attachment 42500

Well all this talk of astronomy inspired me to get my telescope out of the loft and set it up. I took this picture of Jupiter a few nights ago - magnification is about 100-150, but it's hard to be precise because I used the camera zoom to close in on it then enlarged it about 2x in Photoshop. The major moons were spread out nicely as you can see.

It's pretty fuzzy, with lots of chromatic aberration, but at least things are visible. The blue dot just above Jupiter is a star. Exposure is a problem - Jupiter is burnt out so there is no detail, but if I reduced exposure, the moons would just disappear. Probably need to take several pictures at different exposures than combine them.

Anyway, it's a start ....

View attachment 42773

Europa too! Someday we'll be out there drilling down into that sea beneath the ice - it would be amazing if we found life there. The astronomy programs are fun aren't they - I posted a screenshot in James's thread of what the night sky looked like from Bethlehem on 25 Dec the year Christ was supposed to have been born. The program authors claim the program's accurate to about 5000BCE. Isn't Callisto supposed to have a similar deep underground sea?

I've got a telescope I bought quite a long time ago, but I've only set it up and used it a couple of times. It's completely manual and you need a clear view of the night sky and a lot of patience - and good muscles 'cos it's heavy. I made a mistake buying it - I should have saved up more and gone for an automated one. That was 15 years ago, and the kit out there now has moved a long way since as far as I can see - a bit like the way digital cameras have evolved. They more or less set themselves up, and find and track what you want to see using software on a tablet or laptop. I think you can even sit inside and see what they are looking at on your computer screen - but imho that's no better than looking at any other online astronomy picture - I want to see things for real if I bother that much to set up, not at second hand.

I've found you can get great pictures of the moon with a digital system camera, a long focus lens and photoshop. I can't easily attach my system camera to the telescope without buying another adaptor, and optically the telephoto lenses for my camera are better than the telescope. I'll have to take a few more and post them! I posted a picture of Jupiter and its moons I took with a compact camera through the telescope in the Baby the Stars Shine Bright thread, but it's very hard to make it work well - got a long way to go before I can get a good shot of that sort myself.

Oh yes! I forgot to mention Europa! I did hear they are wanting to do that, I am actually quite excited to find out what they encounter. I also do hope they find life as well, water is very likely probable. And yes! Callisto is actually supposed to have an underground sea as well, I think they are planning on sending out a spacecraft to find out pretty soon. Europa and Callisto are definite high contestants for signs of water.

And I agree! I would want to see things for real, not sit inside and look through a screen, haha. If I recall, Amazon has great deals on various telescopes. I am fortunate enough to live in a state where there is barely any sky pollution, and I am near Tucson, just right where one of NASA's station is located. So getting a telescope is on my bucket list!

I did hear about that actually. My best friend has mentioned to me that a digital system camera is amazing on taking photos of the moon. I wish I took her advice around last January when the infamous super blood moon eclipse took place. I captured a mediocre photo of it on my iPhone and posted it on James' thread. It was quite a sight in person. My best friend captured amazing pictures of it on her camera!

I do remember seeing your post on Jupiter! It was amazing capture. Sure do miss James though. I hope he is enjoying the stars, wherever he is at.

Oh yes! I forgot to mention Europa! I did hear they are wanting to do that, I am actually quite excited to find out what they encounter. I also do hope they find life as well, water is very likely probable. And yes! Callisto is actually supposed to have an underground sea as well, I think they are planning on sending out a spacecraft to find out pretty soon. Europa and Callisto are definite high contestants for signs of water.

And I agree! I would want to see things for real, not sit inside and look through a screen, haha. If I recall, Amazon has great deals on various telescopes. I am fortunate enough to live in a state where there is barely any sky pollution, and I am near Tucson, just right where one of NASA's station is located. So getting a telescope is on my bucket list!

I did hear about that actually. My best friend has mentioned to me that a digital system camera is amazing on taking photos of the moon. I wish I took her advice around last January when the infamous super blood moon eclipse took place. I captured a mediocre photo of it on my iPhone and posted it on James' thread. It was quite a sight in person. My best friend captured amazing pictures of it on her camera!

I do remember seeing your post on Jupiter! It was amazing capture. Sure do miss James though. I hope he is enjoying the stars, wherever he is at.
Is it perhaps the Nikon Coolpix P900 your friend told you about? That camera has 83x zoom and I have seen some footage of the moon that was captured using that camera. It's kind of amazing really, especially considering the fact that it's not that expensive nowadays either. I saw that there's a newer generation released this year and that one has 125x zoom or something, but it's nowhere near as cheap as the other one. Maybe in a few years the prices will drop.

The Coolpix P900 has become quite popular in recent years among people wanting to take pictures of the moon. I remember it first caught my attention because there was lots of videos on youtube where flat earthers got this camera to prove that the moon was actually fake or something like that. I'm also somewhat interested in photography so naturally I looked it up.

Is it perhaps the Nikon Coolpix P900 your friend told you about? That camera has 83x zoom and I have seen some footage of the moon that was captured using that camera. It's kind of amazing really, especially considering the fact that it's not that expensive nowadays either. I saw that there's a newer generation released this year and that one has 125x zoom or something, but it's nowhere near as cheap as the other one. Maybe in a few years the prices will drop.

The Coolpix P900 has become quite popular in recent years among people wanting to take pictures of the moon. I remember it first caught my attention because there was lots of videos on youtube where flat earthers got this camera to prove that the moon was actually fake or something like that. I'm also somewhat interested in photography so naturally I looked it up.

Hmmm I am not quite entirely sure! I do believe it was a Nikon, but not sure of the exact model. My friend was always a great fan of the brand! I wouldn't be surprised if it was though, those cameras are quite spectacular!

Oh man, if its cheap, I am so getting one! I have always wanted to venture more into photography, it seems like a very fun and interesting hobby. :)

Hmmm I am not quite entirely sure! I do believe it was a Nikon, but not sure of the exact model. My friend was always a great fan of the brand! I wouldn't be surprised if it was though, those cameras are quite spectacular!

Oh man, if its cheap, I am so getting one! I have always wanted to venture more into photography, it seems like a very fun and interesting hobby. :)
It’s a great hobby for infjs - Ni/Se bliss

If it's not too much trouble, please ask your friend which model it was. I would be interested to know. The Nikon P900 goes for around 399 usd or something like that. You can easily check it out, there are lots of videos on youtube for example. The zoom range is no less than incredible.

However, if you are going for a more all-round friendly camera and you're not only going to shoot macro or take pictures of stuff in the far distance, I guess a DSLR with the ability to change lenses would be preferable. You will get a bigger sensor and sharper images with for example a Nikon D3300 and a Nikkor AF-S DX 35/1,8 G prime lens, and it's also a cheap setup, but you will never get the same zoom range with a D3300. So it's all about what you will be taking pictures of primarily.

great article on Oumuamua
OumuamuaTrajectory_860.gif

Just to toss this out there, with no sarcasim...but ;)...

If we, as a planet, are concerned with such ideas as to whether aliens are spying on us or not, then why aren't we developed in space checking out this flying junk rock so we can not only get an affirmative answer, but be prepared for company. (?)

Interestingly enough, I think there is more to the story. In talking with others, irl as well as online, I'm still on the fence regarding alien anything. If they show up at my door then I guess I'll have to believe in their existence, until then it's good to have an imagination. :D

upload_2019-3-3_17-6-52.png
must be that lead choreographer of the Space Force Mike Pence

Reactions: Wyote and Skarekrow
command_module_spinning_model.gif

Reactions: Will and Wyote