Sophistication/sophisticated . . . | INFJ Forum

Sophistication/sophisticated . . .

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, why are people drawn to people or things which seem sophisticated?

Last edited:
question edited because it was just too much :D

sophistication implies class/intelligence/grace implies association with higher class implies ego stroking or raising social worth?

To echo from a different side, there's a generalization of people in lower / lowest social class instead resenting sophistication for all of its implication and association with that higher class for whatever reason.

At least that's my random pinpointing. It might be just a perspective, or I might be totally nuts here. :)

Reactions: Gaze
Oh res...lol

Hmm, it's not really people I'm drawn to, in that sense, but words, phrases, foods.

My friends in High school used to tell me, "You and your big, huge, sophisticated words"

The term has always had an elitist or snobbish connotation, but i realize it depends how it's used and what it is describing. It seems to be an attitude or way of being, often considered classy or more elegant or stylized. Sometimes associated with someone with a particular type of social education. On the other hand, it's also considered pretentious.

But there seems to be varying levels of sophistication. According to Merriam Webster:

: the process or result of becoming cultured, knowledgeable, or disillusioned; especially : cultivation, urbanity

: the process or result of becoming more complex, developed, or subtle

From the Free Dictionary, sophisticated means:

sophisticated [səˈfɪstɪˌkeɪtɪd] adj 1. having refined or cultured tastes and habits
2. appealing to sophisticates a sophisticated restaurant
3. unduly refined or cultured
4. pretentiously or superficially wise
5. (of machines, methods, etc.) complex and refined sophisticatedly adv

Still has this connotation of snobbery or false sense of pride in being "cultivated."

But is there a need for greater sophistication today?

Remember, sophistication can be defined in different ways.

This is the post i had originally with some editing, feel free to critique . . .

Last edited:
I'm not drawn to the stigma of superficiality but the genuine type of of sophistication. The type of sophistication that only comes when people don't try to be sophisticated?

And I do feel fancy when I have sophisticated things...like a glass of wine...or nice "things" but I do it for me rather than for show or anyone else.

I'm not drawn to the stigma of superficiality but the genuine type of of sophistication. The type of sophistication that only comes when people don't try to be sophisticated?

And I do feel fancy when I have sophisticated things...like a glass of wine...or nice "things" but I do it for me rather than for show or anyone else.

Agree.

But is there a need for greater sophistication or more sophisticated people today?

For aesthetic, sure. But for...practical reasons.....that sophistication should better have a good foundation to begin.

For aesthetic, sure. But for...practical reasons.....that sophistication should better have a good foundation to begin.

Could you elaborate a bit?

Could you elaborate a bit?
Suppose if a lot of people do change...I prefer a lot of them gaining enough sophistication but outstanding wisdom/wit/intelligence/strength/any other beneficial traits rather than the opposite.

Sophistication / class, without any depth, will be superficial and shallow (even when it doesn't look like it). Granted the definition of a wise/witty/intelligent/strong/anything good person might be different according to each person, so defining it would be slightly.....problematic.

But I was reminded of a quote a friend once gave me;
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Beauty is power; a smile is its sword. ~Charles Reade[/FONT]
in this case, sophistication is the figurative sword. Without the power, what use does a sword have?
But with sufficient power, the sword becomes a deadly weapon.

At least that's what I believed and working under. :|

Sophistication implies depth.
Something with layers of utility. Something finely crafted.
That which is appealing on more than one level.

Even if the sophistication is a mask, appreciate its aesthetics.
And the time it took to polish. The subtleties of the persona.

Reactions: Nixie and Gaze
Sophistication implies depth.
Something with layers of utility. Something finely crafted.
That which is appealing on more than one level.

Even if the sophistication is a mask, appreciate its aesthetics.
And the time it took to polish. The subtleties of the persona.

Ah! Nicely put! Me agree...