SOPA is evil. Help the internet! | INFJ Forum

SOPA is evil. Help the internet!

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by Jill Hives, Jan 12, 2012.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by Jill Hives
  1. Jill Hives

Jill Hives fhtagn
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    Felt like I had no choice but to do my part to spread the word regarding this atrocious bill.

Here are a couple articles concerning SOPA, which is a bill that is possibly about to be passed by congress. Essentially, if it passes, it will fuck the internet. Youtube and other streaming sites will be fucked. Forums even, will be fucked. This place could be effected as well, because it would be hard to stop people from posting potentially copywritten material. This is an American bill, but it will effect the rest of the world, as the DNS root is in America. Websites the entire world uses could be in jeopardy.

Here is the wiki article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

Here is what the in house lawyer for Riot Games has to say concerning this bill : http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/oco15/iama_attorney_for_riot_games_directing_our/

From the sounds of things, one of the real problems with this bill seems to be the ambiguous wording. A copywrite holder could go after someone on a forum simply for referrencing a movie or song lyrics that that person does not legally own.

Now...here is a personal rant.

This is just the beginning, the Rothchilds (just if you didn't know this family owns the central banks in Britain, and pretty much control everything) even said that the internet never should have been given to the general public. Without the internet, it's unlikely something like the Occupy Movement could even have taken flight remotely close to as well as it did. They do NOT WANT US to have this much freedom in access to non government regulated information.

And finally a video -

[video=youtube;JhwuXNv8fJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM[/video]

Taken fom above reddit site, posted by in house lawyer of Riot Games-

If you are voting in the US (or are referring US voters) please send them here: https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8173
    If you're not a US-citizen, but want to make YOUR voice directly heard, please go here: http://americancensorship.org/modal/state-dept-petition/index.html

EDIT - I thought that it would be a good idea to also post a link to the actual bill itself.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.3261:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Jill Hives, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    muir likes this.
  2. OP
    Jill Hives

Jill Hives fhtagn
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    Oh, and...um..THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!!! Truly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Peppermint

Peppermint Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    _
    Enneagram:
    _
    I'm sorry, but when I clicked the thread, this is all I got. :(

[​IMG]

4. OP
    Jill Hives

Jill Hives fhtagn
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    HAH yeah...disturbingly amusing.

It actually horrifies me. :[

5. this is only temporary

this is only temporary Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    There seems to be quite a large amount of resistance to this bill.

Congress is (sigh) voting to begin (sigh) MORE DEBATE on the stupid thing on January 24th, the day they return from a break. Just... OMG. politicians.
    There's another bill called PIPA which is basically the same thing.

This is a website I like, because it tells you the schedule, details and actual text of the bills in question, and you can see exactly who sponsored the bill and who voted for and against it:
    http://www.opencongress.org/

http://www.opencongress.org/articles/view/2460-Jan-24th-Our-Best-Chance-to-Kill-SOPA

And from what I've read, there is enough highly credible opposition to this that I doubt it will pass. However, I could be wrong.

6. OP
    Jill Hives

Jill Hives fhtagn
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    I hope you are right! It seems there is much more opposition than not, but...with the right lobbyists rooting for it, anything is possible.

7. Kmal

Kmal Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sx/sp
    Theyre trying to tire us out. Dont give up.

8. This

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    Bills pass then they get tossed when actual enforcement reflected upon to real people starts to happen, it's kinda like when the government decided they were going to force us all to buy health insurance. The bill passed but so far I haven't seen anything enforced about it.

9. OP
    Jill Hives

Jill Hives fhtagn
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    As far as I know it has not passed yet. The Senate is voting on this very soon though, the 24th of January.

10. charlene

charlene never mind no matter nevermind

Threads:
    MBTI:
    letters
    Enneagram:
    numbers
    This is a terrible bill and must not be passed. Thanks for letting us know about it. I have been living under a rock the past 2 months.

The internet is like our collective conciousness and this would be the death of that. It will be a pain in the ass to enforce the bill and it will also probably lead to more covert and illegal websites. If passed, I think that it will eventually end up working as intended though because people will try to stick to mainstream 'clean sites' and avoid the smaller sites as viruses and malware will become rife on these.

There needs to be a better solution to copyright infringement. They have been unsuccessfully trying to stop piracy forever. Even some of the straightest and wholesome people I know seem to have no problem pirating. This is a very tough issue. I hate copyright and patenting in general but alas people need to get paid so they can eat.

Without the internet and blatant abuse of copyright laws a lot of artists and media would never have been heard anyway, the internet takes the message and makes it viral, enabling them to reach billions of people. So how will people get heard now?

Apparently Trent Reznor produced some band and he put free downloads of their songs on their website that were of a poorer quality, and gave people the option to purchase higher quality downloads. He also tells people at his concerts to burn and rip his music illegally because he thinks that his record company is ripping people off.

CDs and DVDs are dead. The internet is the main source of information and media entertainment for most people living in developed countries. We live in an era where information is available to anyone that cares to learn and can no longer be restricted to only the elite. Its a new age for media and our laws and cullture need to adapt.

Any ideas for better copyright laws?

11. 894tt3h9

On Holiday

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Beep Boop
    Enneagram:
    Beep Boop
    [video=youtube;WJIuYgIvKsc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc&feature=colike[/video]

This is my contribution.

12. muir

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    This is part of a creeping process of removing our rights and liberties

Even if they aren't aggressively enforcing things now they are putting the aparatus of control in place so that when the crack down comes everything will be ready

The struggle has started whether we like it or not. Its an uncomfortable reality but it's best faced if it is to be stopped.

This is part of a move to put us in a state of neo-fuedalism where the ruling class has dominance over a serf-like population

The 'banking crisis' has not hurt the bankers....they have been bailed out and are still getting massive bonuses; it has hurt the middle classes who are seeing their savings and pensions dissapear so that they will merge with the 'working class' as what will effectively be a slave class of people controlled by a totalitarian surveillance society run by the coporate interests

The internet brings people together and allows coordinated resistance so it was always inevitable that at some point they would seek to control it

At some point there's going to be a backlash from the people that's going to make OWS look like a picnic and that is why the government has passed the NDAA allowing the US military to detain US civilians without trial.

13. Peppermint

Peppermint Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    _
    Enneagram:
    _
    Kgal likes this.
  14. dwr46y

dwr46y Well-known weirdo

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    best case scenario is that the whole internet will become a tor network

15. Feelings

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    -
    Yeah SOPA's a problem. My response to SOPA is "you fail. Please try again". I'm all for curbing on-line piracy, but it has to be done right. I'd like to see punitive measures to be more progressive, and reflect the gravity of the infraction. A site that has 90% pirated material shouldn't have the same consequences as a site that has 0.01% pirated material. As it stands now, SOPA may very well end up shutting down a lot of great value adding services on the internet, that are primarily legal.

Hell, SOPA might even shut down INFJf. We have links here to music videos on the internet that might not have a license to host those videos.

16. christmas

christmas is such a boss bitch.
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    i wonder if anyone reads those e-mails.

muir likes this.
  17. Deathjam

Deathjam ooooh
    Staff Member Tech Admins

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    obama's actually done something good.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jan/16/sopa-shelved-obama-piracy-legislation

18. Stu

Stu Pre-Pottery B Neolithocrat
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    Insouciant
    I just finished contacting my Congress Rep and two Senators to stand against this.

19. Vict

Vict mechanical and habitual agent

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTP
    Enneagram:
    This is like prohibition.

20. Stu

Stu Pre-Pottery B Neolithocrat
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    Insouciant
    my senator's reply

"Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3261, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). I appreciate hearing from you.

Let me begin by saying I strongly support safeguarding the intellectual property of all Americans. Intellectual property rights are vital to our economy. Every day that intellectual property is insufficiently safeguarded, American businesses stand to lose billions of dollars that result in the loss of thousands of jobs due to copyright infringement and the sale of counterfeit goods. As you may know, I supported the America Invents Act (P.L. 112-29), which passed the Senate on September 8, 2011. This legislation would streamline the patent application process, establish new rules to protect inventors and eliminate unworthy patents, and create consistency for all applicants and patent owners in the application and litigation processes. It provides for the first significant changes to the nation

#20 Stu, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012