Some Unflattering Research About Introverts | INFJ Forum

Some Unflattering Research About Introverts

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Agree or disagree with the interpretation of the introvert research results?

Finally, Some Unflattering Research About Introverts

The Huffington Post | By Carolyn Gregoire

Posted: 12/17/2014 3:36 pm EST Updated: 12/17/2014 3:59 pm EST

n-INTROVERT-large570.jpg

Introverts have many wonderful qualities that help them shine in the workplace. They have a capacity for deep thought and meaningful (if fewer) relationships, they are able to intensely focus on important tasks and they have heightened emotional sensitivity, to name a few. But when it comes to supporting the success of their extroverted colleagues, introverts may fall short.

Introverts are more likely to give low evaluations of job performance to extroverted coworkers, according to two new studies. They're also less likely to give them credit for their achievements or endorse them for raises or promotions, the researchers, led by Dr. Amir Erez of the University of Florida, found.

“The magnitude with which introverts underrated performance of extroverts was surprising,” one of the study's co-authors, business professor Keith Leavitt of Oregon State University, said in a statement. “The results were very consistent across both studies.”

In the first study, 178 MBA students at a large university in the southeast were assigned to four or five-person project teams for the semester. Halfway through the term, the students were asked to complete questionnaires about their fellow team members, team processes, and their own personalities.

The researchers found that introverts rated the performance of other introverts on the team more highly than they rated the extroverts' performance. The extroverts' ratings of other team members, however, were not influenced by the team members' level of introversion or extroversion.

In the second study, 143 students in a management program participated in a 10-minute online game with three teammates. The participates were not aware that the "teammates" were actually fake and controlled by the researchers. One of the fake team members' profiles and comments were manipulated during the game to make them seem more introverted or extroverted, but their actual performance on the task didn't change. The other two were given neutral personalities.

The participants then evaluated their team members and made suggestions about promoting or awarding them bonuses. The introverted participants gave lower evaluations and smaller bonuses to the "extroverted" team member, even though their performance was the same as that of the "introverted" team member. Extroverted participants, on the other hand, gave evaluations and bonuses based on merit rather than personality.

So why do introverts seem to have a bias against their more gregarious colleagues? Introverts may just be more sensitive to others' personality traits, and may have an aversion to high levels of extroversion or assertiveness, the researchers note.

"Any time we evaluate others, there is a potential for bias, in that we can only remember and process a limited amount of information about that person," Leavitt said in an email to The Huffington Post. "So, we filter information based upon what is most “useful” to us. Because introverts themselves tend to be lower in assertiveness and thus prioritize harmony, there is value for them in quickly recognizing traits that signal the potential for conflict."

The research is the first to show how having an introverted personality affects othersin the workplace. Previous studies, however, have shown introversion affects an individual's own job performance. Introverts may have more trouble concentrating in noisy open-concept offices than extroverts, and therefore may do better in smaller workplaces, or working for themselves.

"At the heart of it, introverts and extroverts respond really differently to stimulation,"Susan Cain, author of Quiet: The Power Of Introverts In A World That Can't Stop Talking, told The Huffington Post last year. "Introverts feel most alive and energized when they're in environments that are less stimulating -- not less intellectually stimulating, but less stuff going on."

This sensitivity may in fact be another reason that introverts judge their extroverted teammates less-than-favorably.

"Extraverts tend to be 'high stimulus' people -- by talking loudly, passionately, and frequently, they quickly overwhelm their introverted teammates," said Leavitt. "Accordingly, we found evidence that introverts experience more negative arousal/strong negative emotions after interacting with extroverts, and generally rate them as being less likeable."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...lace_n_6341204.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Last edited:
Reactions: cvp12gh5
I'd believe it; it makes sense.

Would like to see other studies, especially some done by actual psychologists, investigating from the same angle as this one. It seems like something worth knowing.

I think this is true but the evaluation is way off. I think I would say that its om for the person to be an extrovert so long as they accomplish the task set before them as expected. If they do their job, I do not care how they do it so long as it gets done in the time frame and without issue.
Interesting study. They need to have one that shows the MANY weaknesses of extroverts. I would be a much longer article I think.

I have had to do evaluations for review time in the past, and being an introvert myself, I can see some truth to this study. The only difference is that my personal feelings about the employee never affected the review. It's one thing to think an employee is loud and obnoxious, it's quite another to let my opinion reflect in an evaluation; especially if they get the job done right and efficiently. It is my belief that personal opinions have no place in these matters. Fairness should be paramount.

Which leads me to wonder if these introverts were thinkers or feelers. I'm an introverted thinker, therefore, giving a fair, unbiased evaluation is a piece of cake. I think a feeler would be more prone to letting their personal feelings colour the eval.

Last edited:
I disagree with this interpretation of the study. And I wonder about this so-called "assertive" behavior. Assertive can mean many things and this interpretation doesn't specify exactly what kind of behavior they categorized as "assertive." It could mean forceful behavior, aggressive behavior, confrontational behavior, etc. There are a lot of kinds of behavior that could be categorized as assertive.

My interpretation of the study is different. I admit that there isn't much for me to interpret, but let's give the introverts the benefit of the doubt for a moment. Let's say the researchers categorized aggressive, forceful and confrontational behavior (nearly the literal definition of the word, by the way) as assertive behavior. These "assertive" people wouldn't be pleasant to work with for an introvert (or many people at all). They would very likely be annoying, pushy and invasive. And people with a "high level of assertiveness" may simply steamroll some introverts completely.

Personally, I've met people like that and I would take their behavior into account if there was room for that in an evaluation. And I don't think that's unfair. The overall effect they have on a group is normally negative. Pushing people to do things, imposing their will upon you and others, etc. Also, I don't think many would deny that personality and behavior have an effect on productivity and efficiency.

If part of the actual evaluation was an evaluation of behavior and how much they liked working with the extroverted or "assertive" people then I can certainly understand. I'd like to see some of the actual questions and answers in the evaluation, but that's probably not going to happen, haha. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
An introvert doing an evaluation of a coworker? Of course they're going to be bias! Extroverts take a hell of a lot out of introverts, and for one introvert to be working with five extroverts and one other introvert, of course that one other introvert is going to be held in a higher regard, because they are not causing the other to go brain dead! Lol it's like asking an extrovert to be around a certain personality that just annoys the living shit out of them and then asks them to do an evaluation of the other. Extroverts are draining to introverts, and after they are draining they are annoying.

I think this study is biased in more ways than one. For one, introverts may not be fans of people who use their extroverted energy to manipulate others to get things done. That's what the introverts in the study may be objecting to. I also agree with the person who questioned their use of the word "assertiveness." Someone being too gregarious has nothing to do with getting the job done. The study doesn't also acknowledge that introverts AND extroverts may misunderstand each others functioning causing these differences in evaluation. The study also implies extroverts are not capable of any bias, which is extremely odd, ignoring how often extroverted communication style is assumed to be the right way to be while introverted is assumed to be the wrong way to be. Also, introverts don't need as much external stimulation and motivation to get things done. As an introvert, I don't need someone standing over me telling me what to do, and extroverts have a tendency to sometimes, not always, be a bit overbearing about getting things done which usually doesn't help. The only thing I find a bit demotivating or difficult to push myself to get done are mundane or routine tasks. On the other hand, introverts can focus on a task for long periods of time. All this is mentioned to explain that the study seems to blanketly make judgments about introvert's responses without showing us how they evaluated the introverts, what introverts actually said, and how relationship dynamic between the person they assigned extroverted traits and those they assigned introverted traits actually unfolded. The study assumed that the introvert would somehow not see through the guise of the test subject to intuit whether they were really extroverted or introverted. The person who was supposed to be neutral, could be unknowingly give off vibes or signals which the introvert reacted to. Yes, introverts are capable of bias just like the next person, but I think the results will simply be used to justify further discrimination against introverts, assuming they are somehow more emotionally unstable and incapable of objectivity which only extroverts are capable of demonstrating exceedingly well apparently.

I think introverts can be as assertive and passionate as extroverts, but an introvert is focused on results, whereas extroverts are more focused on the process. When I'm part of a team, I expect everyone to do their part, and am NOT shy about pointing out areas of the project that need to be addressed. I have always noticed that extroverts push themselves as "idea" people, when in actuality, they are just "thinking aloud", and not really engaged in any type of discussion. (Their so-called "thinking" drives me insane.) I think this is another area of the research that is swept under the carpet.

irked me so that I'm just gonna log off now