[Film Club] - Solo: A Star Wars Story | INFJ Forum

[Film Club] Solo: A Star Wars Story

As with all Star Wars movies I'm going to try to go into this thing as unspoiled as possible. Folks are up in arms over the director change, and there are rumors flying about how much it's going to suck, but people said the same thing about Rogue One after all the reshoots and I thought it was great.

Han Solo is an iconic character. That said, as we saw from the prequels it's possible to take an existing iconic character (Obi-Wan) and create a younger/recast version that is generally beloved. Do I think that will happen here? Probably not to that extent. But I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise.

Bottom line - it's Star Wars, I seriously doubt that I'll hate it, I even love the fucking prequels. I'm probably the wrong person to ask if you're looking for a meaningful opinion. :tearsofjoy:

I thought that was the release date for the film itself? I seem to recall it would release in May.
May 25th is the film's release date, but now i'm reading all kinds of different release dates for the trailer, one date was Feb 1 (that's right, yesterday) the other was May 18th which seems insane, and another is February 5th. So I just don't know anymore lol.

May 25th is the film's release date, but now i'm reading all kinds of different release dates for the trailer, one date was Feb 1 (that's right, yesterday) the other was May 18th which seems insane, and another is February 5th. So I just don't know anymore lol.

Probably Sunday during the Superbowl

Things that will be worth seeing:
1) Han and Chewie meeting for the first time
2) The Falcon doing more cool shit
3) Donald and Emilia being awesome

Things that might suck:
1) CGI
2) Story
3) Dumb "fans"

Movies nowadays are technically and visually impressive but usually lack depth and charm. If Solo fails in both the depth and charm department it's going to be a disaster. I won't make any statements about the overall quality of the film until I've seen it, but I would be perfectly happy if it was cohesive, entertaining, had some unique quality to it and maybe a little more depth than a puddle. I don't really need much more than that from a movie.

Last edited:
I noticed that Emilia's character's name is Kira, which is what Rey's name was originally going to be.
Could this be a hint at her playing somebody related to Rey? That would be a cool connection, assuming the movie doesn't suck ass.

I noticed that Emilia's character's name is Kira, which is what Rey's name was originally going to be.
Could this be a hint at her playing somebody related to Rey? That would be a cool connection, assuming the movie doesn't suck ass.
:chuckle: I personally like the idea of her parents just being some random losers who are junk traders, maybe that's an opinion for the Last Jedi thread, but I kind of like unexplained things in movies (when leaving it unexplained doesn't ruin the movie of course). The best example of this is the three seashells in Demolition Man, never explained but still totally hilarious, plus you get to wonder about it which is sometimes better than the film just giving you an answer. I don't know if you understand what i'm even talking about at this point but used selectively I think unexplained elements in movies are great, and in the Rey situation it would work well for the message of "It doesn't matter where you come from but rather what you do". Maybe even empowering for orphans somehow, I don't know.

:chuckle: I personally like the idea of her parents just being some random losers who are junk traders, maybe that's an opinion for the Last Jedi thread, but I kind of like unexplained things in movies (when leaving it unexplained doesn't ruin the movie of course). The best example of this is the three seashells in Demolition Man, never explained but still totally hilarious, plus you get to wonder about it which is sometimes better than the film just giving you an answer. I don't know if you understand what i'm even talking about at this point but used selectively I think unexplained elements in movies are great, and in the Rey situation it would work well for the message of "It doesn't matter where you come from but rather what you do". Maybe even empowering for orphans somehow, I don't know.

Yea I get you and agree. I was thinking in a more distant sense, but even that much may detract from the idea. It's better to go fully one way or the other imo. Either she comes from nowhere and we never know anything, or her lineage is extremely important somehow.

This is just my opinion, but I think Star Wars is better if characters are just individuals instead of part of groups, I mean the prequels kind of made the Skywalkers very important as a family lineage... I don't know that I really want to see that repeated too much. If Han Solo is just some guy and not Luke's cousin or Darth Maul's nephew or whatever it doesn't take away from his character- if anything it makes him more relatable because he's just some guy.

This isn't a direct response to anything written in this thread, just a thought. Because it seems quite possible that they might try to put some connective tissue between characters by making them relatives and in my opinion, which I don't expect others to necessarily share, that would be very stupid- to make Solo Luke's cousin or something like that. I really hope that the filmmakers aren't that foolish.

Qxh7i6X.jpg

Can I out like @Free? Dunno but imma try! :tongueclosed: