"Society's Bias Against Motherhood Is Creating a New Problem" | INFJ Forum

"Society's Bias Against Motherhood Is Creating a New Problem"

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
[h=1]Agree or disagree? Have you experienced this in your own circumstances?

Society's Bias Against Motherhood Is Creating a New Problem With No Name[/h]Posted: 12/05/2014 5:35 pm EST Updated: 12/05/2014 5:59 pm EST
Lisen Stromberg

Award-winning writer/journalist focusing on women, work, and life in Silicon Valley.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisen-stromberg/societys-bias-against-mot_b_6277194.html

You may have seen it. A recent report by the Harvard Business Review indicating that while only 25 percent of its Gen X female graduates expected to be focused on child rearing, a full 42 percent of its Millennial female graduates do.

This follows a recent analysis of jobs data by Vanderbilt Law Professor, Joni Hersch, who found only 45 percent of women from elite schools who are mothers work full-time versus the nearly two-thirds of mothers from less selective universities who still do.

Given all of the hype and media frenzy, one wonders, why aren't these well-educated and presumably highly employable women "Leaning In"?

One answer may be simply a matter of practicality. The Harvard Business School Gen X graduates who believed they would take the world by storm soon faced the realities of the work environment. Limited advancement, pay inequity, and unfriendly family policies became the dismaying truth for many of those bright and ambitious women once they became mothers.

As a result, over 40 percent of HBS's Gen X cohort of women ended up in traditional arrangements with a male breadwinner husband and the female primarily responsible for the children. In sum, their expectations did not reflect their realities.

Millennial women may be looking at their older sisters and realize the underlying structures have not changed. There is still no national child care, paid family leave, or pay equity policies to support working mothers (or fathers, for that matter).

In truth, those elite Harvard Business School Millennials who are planning on having children are calling it like it is. They know they will be responsible for child-rearing and aren't trying to pretend otherwise.

However, there may be something else afoot. Much has been written about women, careers, and the work/life balance issue, but few in the media are focusing on an underlying (and seemingly obvious) truth: Despite all of the mom and apple pie rhetoric, we devalue parenting, and motherhood specifically.

The sad reality is that professional women who want or have children are often told to hide or deny this side of ourselves. We are told if we don't, our careers will be even more stymied because the research shows the bias against mothers is real.

And yet, many high achieving women have, for a period of time, pulled back on their careers to focus on their families. Take Patricia Nakache. She is one of the few female venture capitalist in Silicon Valley. When her children were young she worked part-time for Trinity Ventures, the firm where she is now a full partner. Sandra Kurtzig, another Silicon Valley icon, founded her first company when she was home caring for her two children.

Moving farther afield, did you know Sandra Day O'Connor was a stay-at-home mother after law school? She launched her incredibly successful judicial career once her children were older. These women, and many like them, have leaned in to the full bloom of their lives trading off between focusing on paid work and personal work as needed. They debunk the stereotype by showing you can't briefly "opt out" and then recommit to your professional life to great success.

But as the Vanderbilt study has confirmed, "opting out" is mostly the purview of the wealthy, an exclusive club for graduates of highly selective universities. The hard truth of the matter is that most of us can't take time out of our careers. The financial strains are too great. And, or, we don't have spouses with whom to partner.

So, we cobble together solutions that are sub-optimal leaving us exhausted and feeling like failures. While the elite vote with their feet and leave, the vast majority of us are forced to make due.

Is this what the previous generation imagined when they rallied to break down barriers? Our mothers (or grandmothers as the case may be) worked hard to battle the bias that kept them from the workplace, but we have a new problem with no name: A bias against motherhood that keeps us (even if only temporarily) from focusing on hearth and home.

Like those before, we have come to believe the problem is with ourselves and search for individual solutions. In the end, this means we don't work together to create institutional systems that would benefit all.

Rather than deepening the already vast class divide, let's find meaningful solutions that support work/life integration and place family as a priority. Because the truth is, no matter what school we went to, women (and men) will never have balance until society truly values that which matters most: our children.

While not an elite Harvard Business School Millennial, yes. I have experienced this. I had a successful career, really enjoyed my work and was very good at it, and was treated respectfully and generously by my colleagues... until I got pregnant. Despite having received generous raises and bonuses in the years prior to my pregnancy, I never received more than a minimal cost of living raise during or after it. The professionalism of the behavior toward (many, not all) me by my male colleagues also underwent a negative transformation.

I would describe the months of my pregnancy and the two years I continued to work after my son was born as routinely emotionally challenging, degrading toward the end into hostility. There was a lot of - not sure how to describe this - confrontational commitment testing. For example, after I returned from my 6 week maternity leave, my new boss informed me that I would be traveling to London (from the US) for a week to attend what was basically a series of meet and greet cocktail parties (i.e. my attendance was not critical). I was nursing my son, but this didn't seem to be an adequate opt-out excuse for my boss. In fact he stated bluntly that I could be fired if I didn't "do as I was told" (that became a regular theme with several of the male execs: suggesting I should "behave and do as I was told". This sort of thing continued, I was routinely berated for "not having my priorities straight" despite no reduction in the quantity or quality of my professionalism or my work. I was eventually forced to resign when my son became chronically ill (as a result of long hours at daycare) and my requests to work from home or temporarily reduce my hours (so my son's hours at daycare could be reduced enough that his immune system could bounce back) were denied.

Interestingly, I was the only executive mother in the office. The majority of my colleagues were married men who's wives were stay-at-home mothers (three others were women - single - one married with no children). There were a number of occasions when one of the male executives was granted paid leave to help at home when his wife was diagnosed with postpartum depression. But I was refused that privilege.

It sucked, because I really did like the work I was doing. And the first few years were rewarding professionally, financially and emotionally. I honestly thought I would work there till I retired. The silver lining was very bright though. From the first month of staying home with my son, his health improved dramatically, and those first several years of raising him full time were without question the most fulfilling of my life.

So it was an uncomfortable and unpleasant (and unjust) experience, but ultimately led me to a path which I am grateful I was able to detour to. I guess the shame of it is that had they been more patient and compassionate, and spent less time cracking the dominance whip, I might have been able to do both.

Reactions: Gaze
Yes it is going to cause problems

So why is it happening?

Because we live in a patriarchal society.

Can you explain to me what a 'patriarchal society' is and how this works against motherhood?

I've read a number of your posts, muir. You seem to have well-oiled research skills and a hunger for the truth. How about you read up on it and tell me?

I've read a number of your posts, muir. You seem to have well-oiled research skills and a hunger for the truth. How about you read up on it and tell me?

I'm happy to put some ideas across...

Motherhood is absolutely sacred..as is fatherhood

Neither is being respected in the current system; there are other systems that would respect them even less

For example the state doesn't respect parenthood because the state sees itself as the prime authority figure; it basically wants to replace parents. The state wants to raise the children and it wants women and men working as much as possible so they can pay taxes to the state

If men and women are working all the time then they can't be parenting

We're told we all have to work all the time.....it's a hangover of the protestant 'work ethic' but the reality is that machines are replacing people more and more

So whats the solution?

In germany (which has a strong economy) women value motherhood

if a woman chooses her career over her child by returning back to fulltime work after giving birth she is insultingly called a 'crow'

Being a fulltime mum is respected in germany as equal in value and respect to a fulltime job; focusssing on raising children is respected and valued by german society

In the US and UK many women care more about their 'career' than being a mum

They seem to want to try and transcend their biology and some corporate women have frozen their eggs so that they can have children well into their 40's; presumably they hire a maid to raise the children while they pursue their all important duty to the corporation

But it's mens fault that women are the ones who have the children right? Its the 'patriarchy' (the conspiracy of men against women)

I'm not understanding the point you're trying to express. Could you distill it a bit?

I'm not understanding the point you're trying to express. Could you distill it a bit?

Sure...men and women are both being fucked over by a handful of people who have devised a system whereby motherhood and parenthood in general is not valued

people are being conditioned to buy into that system instead of buying into being human beings, imo

Sure...men and women are both being fucked over by a handful of people who have devised a system whereby motherhood and parenthood in general is not valued

people are being conditioned to buy into that system instead of buying into being human beings, imo

<makes post faulting mothers for their poor treatment in the workplace>

"No, guys, look, EVERYONE gets treated poorly, there's no systemic bias against women!"

In germany (which has a strong economy) women value motherhood

if a woman chooses her career over her child by returning back to fulltime work after giving birth she is insultingly called a 'crow'

Being a fulltime mum is respected in germany as equal in value and respect to a fulltime job; focusssing on raising children is respected and valued by german society

In the US and UK many women care more about their 'career' than being a mum

They seem to want to try and transcend their biology and some corporate women have frozen their eggs so that they can have children well into their 40's; presumably they hire a maid to raise the children while they pursue their all important duty to the corporation

But it's mens fault that women are the ones who have the children right? Its the 'patriarchy' (the conspiracy of men against women)

I think that's a bit off.

In Germany women value motherhood once they've had a baby - often taking a year or more to go back to work, if they go back at all - BUT here's the thing: women who really want to work there often end up not having kids in the first place, which is part of the reason the birth rate in Germany is in decline to the point where it's a worry and they're trying to entice stay at home mothers by giving them allowances.

http://www.euronews.com/2013/09/13/kids-or-career-germany-s-falling-birth-rate-dilemma/

I think that's a bit off.

No its not 'off' its a statement of fact...you just don't like what you are hearing

In Germany women value motherhood once they've had a baby - often taking a year or more to go back to work, if they go back at all - BUT here's the thing: women who really want to work there often end up not having kids in the first place, which is part of the reason the birth rate in Germany is in decline to the point where it's a worry and they're trying to entice stay at home mothers by giving them allowances.

http://www.euronews.com/2013/09/13/kids-or-career-germany-s-falling-birth-rate-dilemma/

The birth rate is in decline in the UK and US as well despite them putting pressure on women to go back to work soon after having a child

The birth rate is only worrying for the system that demands constant taxes and 'growth'

I'm saying stop buying into the system and start buying into humanity instead

Last edited:
<makes post faulting mothers for their poor treatment in the workplace>

"No, guys, look, EVERYONE gets treated poorly, there's no systemic bias against women!"

In terms of pursuing a career there is a biological bias against women

If you are an employer looking to hire you know that women are likely to suddenly drop out and have a child; they will then need to be subsidised for their maternity leave

This is all part of cultural marxism...to cause a decline in the white population; it's an effect of marxist feminism that women are prioritising their 'careers' instead of their children and the future of their community

European women and women of european descent are supposed to stop breeding..it's all part of the plan

[video=youtube;MFE0qAiofMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFE0qAiofMQ[/video]

Last edited:
In terms of pursuing a career there is a biological bias against women

If you are an employer looking to hire you know that women are likely to suddenly drop out and have a child; they will then need to be subsidised for their maternity leave

This is all part of cultural marxism...to cause a decline in the white population; it's an effect of marxist feminism that women are prioritising their 'careers' instead of their children and the future of their community

European women and women of european descent are supposed to stop breeding..it's all part of the plan

"supposed to stop breeding..it's all part of the plan" o.0

I'm guessing the US isn't in on the plan? Otherwise there wouldn't be so much impassioned rhetoric, time and money spent trying to pass, passing and defending legislation controlling the bodies of women, i.e. outlawing/restricting access to abortions, preventing sex education, installing impediments to obtaining birth control, etc.

"supposed to stop breeding..it's all part of the plan" o.0

I'm guessing the US isn't in on the plan? Otherwise there wouldn't be so much impassioned rhetoric, time and money spent trying to pass, passing and defending legislation controlling the bodies of women, i.e. outlawing/restricting access to abortions, preventing sex education, installing impediments to obtaining birth control, etc.

Hows your southern border doing? Is it being effectively policed?

Hows your southern border doing? Is it being effectively policed?

I don't understand your question in the context of this thread.

Reactions: SealHammer
I don't understand your question in the context of this thread.

The destruction of europeans and people of european descent

So in answer to your question....YES the US is very much part of the plan because it is controlled by the zionists

[video=youtube;ROGnoNJc6Nw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROGnoNJc6Nw[/video]