Pin

"Magnificent Bastard" / Ren's Counterpart
Jun 26, 2017
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4, 3-8-7
He is my new source of amusement.

My thought process regarding the economy and orders of the world are different from his in that I don't subscribe to a Marxist understanding of the economy, specifically the labor theory of value. I think that subjective theories of value are more sensible. The kind of economic order that follows from my point of view is radically different from Zizek's. Because I support more subjective theories of value regarding economics, I tend to subscribe to a more market-oriented position. I don't know how possible it is to plan an economy. My middle-ground answer with regards to this subject is to say that I prefer a more mixed-market arrangement because markets aren't perfect after all and need to be corrected for failure. Anyway, the role of state planning is up for debate. I generally oppose this as a matter of course because of my preference towards more market-oriented arrangements.

This brings us to Zizek. Because he subscribes to the labor theory of value and traditional marxian criticisms of capitalism, his perspective of what the world will be like going forward is notable. He believes that the future will be utopian, a reality where whims are instantly satiated. Despite our differences in foundational economic preference, I am inclined to agree with Zizek. I do think that the future is headed in that direction.

My plan is to read more of his work because I'm dumbfounded as to how he arrived to his foundational understanding of the economy.

It's Slavoj* :grinning:

He's an enigma. I think he is too broad to be described simply as a Marxist.

That's why Peterson had trouble debating him. He expected a Marxist ramblings, but instead Zizek barely went into that direction. Peterson admitted that he was nervous and his hands were shaking after the Zizek speech.

You'll never get a predictable answer from him. That's why I like him - he seems to be above any ideology.

That being said, I would take his economic predictions with a pinch of salt.

And I don't think he is advocating planned economy at all. It's hard to pin his ideas down, actually.

All I can say is that he is pro democracy and against consumerism.

That being said, I would take his economic predictions with a pinch of salt.

And I don't think he is advocating planned economy at all. It's hard to pin his ideas down, actually.

All I can say is that he is pro democracy and against consumerism.
Democracy is something I support strongly.

As for consumerism, I think that people should demand high quality goods as a matter of course. Everyone should have fine clothes, nice cars, the latest gadgets. I love luxury goods.

What does he dislike about consumerism?

Democracy is something I support strongly.

As for consumerism, I think that people should demand high quality goods as a matter of course. Everyone should have fine clothes, nice cars, the latest gadgets. I love luxury goods.

What does he dislike about consumerism?

I'm with you - I like it as well. In moderation of course. I like to own high quality gadgets. I get pleasure from using them every day, and I don't need to replace them as soon as something fresher comes out.

Why he dislikes consumerism? It probably comes down to old Marxist term, commodity fetishism.

He is also worried about all the waste and pollution we produce and the impact it has on the environment.

I am not much familiar with his work, only partly through environmental humanities.
He certainly is interesting, I like it that he doesn't sugar-coat his positions regarding environmentalism.
Perhaps you could look there a bit for his points on consumerism too.

He seems like he's on drugs but actually isn't.
In other words, my kind of dude.

"I bet the question he was asked here was: "So .. How are you, Slavoj? Enjoyed the trip to Wilmington?""

I know Zizek in a wholly different context. He helped loads with my Detective Fiction research :tearsofjoy:

It's Slavoj* :grinning:

He's an enigma. I think he is too broad to be described simply as a Marxist.

That's why Peterson had trouble debating him. He expected a Marxist ramblings, but instead Zizek barely went into that direction. Peterson admitted that he was nervous and his hands were shaking after the Zizek speech.

You'll never get a predictable answer from him. That's why I like him - he seems to be above any ideology.

I think he's good at sparking ideas, provoking thought etc. He has quite a fertile mind, and like you said, he's way more open that one would expect.

I see him as someone who helps us ask questions about the world, or see a matter from a different perspective than the commonly accepted one, rather than as someone who provides answers.

We need those kinds of thinkers too.