Slavery | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Slavery

My opinion is that they stop being slaves once they are given freedom, however in reality is is not as clear cut as your story makes it. As long as you continue to control the means of production they still as dependent on you as before you declared them free, only now you can rid yourself of the responsibility to take care of them. They are not truly free as long as they depend on others. However none of us are truly free in that sense anyways.

Perhaps they will no longer be slaves when instead of declaring them 'free', declare that they will now participate as equally as you in the profits of the business as well as the suffer the consequences of poor business performance.

Yes, I agree that my story isn't reality… but I think that when you get to the point where people aren't locked into their jobs, then after they've been working for a while, they can always use the money they've earned to quit and do something on their own.

But of course, there are no guarantees that they'll succeed, so they might end up back where you started… still, the option is (or should be) there.

Yes, I agree that my story isn't reality… but I think that when you get to the point where people aren't locked into their jobs, then after they've been working for a while, they can always use the money they've earned to quit and do something on their own.

True but this is becoming more and more difficult thanks to increased regulation. The sad part is, the people in power seem to be convincing us that regulation is a good thing. They convince you that it's good for you and then tighten their grip around your life. It's so sad.

Also... just a side thought... I hate that corporate America's culture discourages us from talking about how much we get paid in the work place. It seems like nothing more than an oppressive form of cognitive dissonance to me. It's just one of the many ways we keep each other silent.

But of course, there are no guarantees that they'll succeed, so they might end up back where you started… still, the option is (or should be) there.

That depends if you pay them enough that they will have eztra left over to use.

What do you mean by this?

[video=youtube;itlu1RVCtfU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itlu1RVCtfU&feature=related[/video]

I'm probably just bitter because I'm still job-hunting.

But there's a flavor of serfdom going on with college grads/inexperienced workers and the workforce nowadays.

Nowadays, to even have hope of supposedly "progressing" to an entry-level job that actually requires 3+ years of experience in this, 2+ years of experience in that, etc, you're basically left only the option of taking an unpaid internship = slave labor.

And the BS "stipends" don't cover any substantial living expenses, but DO supposedly cover the 40+ hours a week you're still expected to work. All the while, dangling the empty promises of "potential for paid opportunities one day". You don't have time to look for real jobs while breaking your back in their silicon plantations, much less be able to work at another job to pay the bills.

Internships should be banned.

Reactions: muir
I'm probably just bitter because I'm still job-hunting.

But there's a flavor of serfdom going on with college grads/inexperienced workers and the workforce nowadays.

Nowadays, to even have hope of supposedly "progressing" to an entry-level job that actually requires 3+ years of experience in this, 2+ years of experience in that, etc, you're basically left only the option of taking an unpaid internship = slave labor.

And the BS "stipends" don't cover any substantial living expenses, but DO supposedly cover the 40+ hours a week you're still expected to work. All the while, dangling the empty promises of "potential for paid opportunities one day". You don't have time to look for real jobs while breaking your back in their silicon plantations, much less be able to work at another job to pay the bills.

Internships should be banned.

I must agree. Although if you are 16 yo, living with parents and being fully supported by parents, it would make sense to sacrifice a year or so in such an internship, just so you have something to put on cv + getting some experience for yourself, but I think 1-2 days a week besides uni-college should do the trick, 40+ hours a week for an adult who has to make a start in life is unreasonable.... But I'm looking for a job now. Out of all adverts I've seen yesterday, 50% are apprenticeships and internships. I wouldnt mind if those jobs would normally require some kind of education, but they dont. It doesnt take a degree to be a receptionist, answer the telephone and transfer the call to the correct department, to open a letter, to photocopy a document, print out a bill, etc... People are taking the piss way too much.

Slavery is a system where people are bought, sold, traded and more often then not treated as property. Compare yourself to the chair you are currently sitting in(or have most currently sat in), if you share more qualities with it then the person you last talked to then you are probably a slave.

Slavery is a system where people are bought, sold, traded and more often then not treated as property. Compare yourself to the chair you are currently sitting in(or have most currently sat in), if you share more qualities with it then the person you last talked to then you are probably a slave.

unless the person you talk to is a slave too

Reactions: the
unless the person you talk to is a slave too

The point is more towards people who aren't slaves, most slaves are usually aware of their enslavement.

The point is more towards people who aren't slaves, most slaves are usually aware of their enslavement.

I wonder if this is really true. Would they define themselves as a slave, or would their pride prevent them from acknowledging it?

A man chooses. A slave obeys.

Rather, a slave cannot choose. Obedience implies a slave owner.

I suppose that someone who is bought, paid for, and set to work could choose/accept this lifestyle for himself and so be free within himself. This is especially true if other ways of life are known to him - and he could realistically imagine himself living such alternative lives.

Are we slaves to terrestrial life? We don't have any alternative choice. However, most people (except Star Trek and Avatar fans) would say that they freely accept to live on Earth.