Should you spank kids? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Should you spank kids?

Spanked until I was 9. When I was what I call 'laced with the belt', (big red/purple welts on my back, backside and legs), for a crime I did not commit, and the sheriff was called to my elementary school nurse's office because I could not sit down in my seat, I was never spanked again.

To me that day was a beating and no where close to a spanking. We teach our young yes and no very early in life, often without realizing the desensitization we are inflicting upon them...physically as well as emotionally.

Back story is, my older sister, 14 at the time, took the money and pack of cigarettes off the kitchen table that my Dad had put there. He was working double and tripple shifts at work at the time and had just tossed the contents of his pockets on the table when he had come in from work. Upon waking to return back to work after only a couple hours, Dad noticed the items missing. He was pissed to say the least. He came in my room, turned on the light, and asked me where they were, while yelling my sisters name at the same time. My sister's room was off my room, meaning one had to walk through my room to get to hers. He was so angry he snatched my covers because I wouldn't get up. I hadn't done anything, so I assumed I was in the clear. Imagine my surprise when he snatched the covers and the money and cigarettes went flying in the air :( After he retrieved his stuff, he snatched me by the arm, I started bawling and pleading my case, as he dragged me kicking and screaming downstairs. He took his belt and beat me until my mother grabbed his arm and said stop. They argued, he went back to work.

Later, I went to school. I wiggled in my seat on the bus, and tried sitting in class, but it hurt so much so that I could not. The teacher was angry, I cried hysterically, and was sent to the principal for disrupting class. The principal called his secretary in, they then called the nurse, and I went with her. When the officer showed up I was crying silently because in my mind I was in big trouble. Mom had to come to school and get me. The sheriff, two state troopers and two CPA people searched my room and home. My mom was very upset when another state trooper walked through the door with my dad.

I was almost removed from my home that day...however, back then folks didn't view corporal punishment in the same way they do today. Dad got a slap on the hand, promised never to do that again, and everyone went away...so did some of my pride and spirit.

I do not believe in hitting, not a child, nor adult. To me there is no sensible reason for it. I don't believe in yelling either. Young children, (and adults), do need dicipline. I believe childeren learn self-discipline and a sense of right or wrong when we set them down and explain why their behavior is unacceptable, and privledges outlined that will temporarily be taken away for an agreed upon time. This works well with kids age 2 and up, I believe babies should be allowed to be babies ;). By the same regard, children should have it explained why when they behave well, that this is acceptable, praised and appreciated.

I firmly believe that many children do not know the difference between well-behaved and mis-behaved because they were not taught so when young. I also believe that many of the nerosis adults experience came from being hit and screamed at when young.

Childhood Schemeas are built between the ages of birth and 7 or 8. These schemas are used while an adult to problem-solve life experiences. These schemas also build an adult attachment style, which we use in the relationships we form in life. If all we see are our caregivers hitting and screaming, how then are we to grow into healthy adults and not settle our grievences with others without the hitting and screaming?? We teach our young people by example after all.
Perfectly said.. I am sorry this was your experience.. Hug

No. I'm completely 100% against physical abuse of children. As so many have said here, there are better ways. If you hit, or seriously think of hitting your child, you need to seek help. You're not teaching them, you're taking out your shit on another person, a person you chose to bring into this world.

My dad was fairly abusive to both myself and my brother. It never made us behave, never taught us a lesson. In fact it made us better liars, angrier, more disobedient. By the time I was sixteen, I was constantly butting heads with my dad. Telling to fuck off whenever he told me to do anything. I was bigger, stronger, more than ready to fight back. All that abuse hadn't helped me become a man, it had just fused into a ball of rage and bitterness. Feelings that took me years to get past.

Now I'm no longer bitter or angry at my father. I came to realize that, as misguided as he was, he did believe he was doing his best. And that the way he taught us was the way his dad taught him. But the way he treated me has left it's scars, and despite it being years, decades even, they can still be felt today. So I cannot stress how destructive corporal punishment can be, especially at the hands of someone who's suppose to look out for you the most.

What is your position on spanking kids if they don't listen?
I don't have one. Generally, I believe there are more effective ways of parenting.

Were you spanked as a child?
Sometimes, I'd consider myself a moderately good boy.

Reactions: Sandie33
It is *never* acceptable to spank, hit or in any other way use physical violence against a child. It is child abuse. It takes decades to heal the psychological damage left behind. Additionally, it only teaches the child to fear their parents, not to respect and listen to them. Fear isn't love! :rage::rage::rage:

Sometimes, I'd consider myself a moderately good boy.

upload_2018-7-31_14-25-45.jpeg

What is your position on spanking kids if they don't listen? Were you spanked as a child?

No, I was never spanked as a child and I am absolutely against spanking. There are other ways to be utilized without being physical. Spanking just creates fear and actually has more negative effects on a child than positive.

The same also applies to yelling. A child learns from their parent's behavior; you have to set a patient, loving but yet stern example in teaching your child from what's right or wrong. Most of the time, they don't understand that their behavior is not allowable, and hitting and yelling would do is just bring confusion.

It is never okay to hit your child.

Kinda humorous... I was spanked and because I was a sensitive child I cried... Up until the day I saw "First blood" first Rambo movie... I said if he doesn't cry when he's sewing up his arm... I don't have to cry when I'm getting spanked... So, I guess at the age of 11 my mother spanked me and I didn't react... Just gave her the look of death... Strangely I was never spanked again...

To answer the question, I don't believe in spanking, I use time outs, but only when my daughter gets cranky... Otherwise, I just remember how it was when I was a kid and act accordingly... Empathy isn't always crappy...

Spanking itself, I don’t think, harms anyone. It’s the emotions behind it that can be damaging. I think if you tell a three year old not to put whatever he/she finds on the floor into their mouth, they do it, and you spank them - you’re going to cause them psychological harm because three year olds are not cognitively developed enough to do what you’ve asked. If you ask an average six year old the same, they keep doing it, and you warn them that they will be punished with a spanking if they continue to do it, then I don’t think that is harmful - that is discipline. If the six year is spanked for any old thing that the parent dislikes, then yes, they will become anxious. Or, if they’re spanked only when the parent is in a bad mood, they too will become abusive. So, again, circumstances matter. I wouldn’t want my kids to be afraid of me.
This is where I stand, I think the law sums it up perfectly, spanking as long as it doesn't leave marks (like a bruise) is acceptable, but only as a last resort like others have said here. I was spanked as a child. My father would explain it to me, but I always understood anyway. I was a pretty good kid though, I didn't get spanked or in trouble anywhere near as much as my friends. I did fear my father, but not because of spanking at all, he only did that when he as calm and rational. What I feared was his words when he was angry. I would have taken multiple spankings to avoid his words.

Hitting a child in anger is different than disciplining her/him. I don't think I personally would employ such methods, but that depends on the child. To discipline using corporal punishment of any kind, it has to be stated clearly what they did wrong. Also, whatever it is they did wrong had to be clearly defined beforehand, a direct disobedience to something. I was spanked and so were all my siblings. All of us are fine, none of us became bullies, and none of us are in any way violent by nature. This is anecdotal evidence, however, so is the opposite in most cases. Also, we were never hit out of pure anger, it was discipline, and I do not regret it, and I'd go as far as to say I'd thank my parents for being the way they were. I don't judge any parent who chooses to use these methods, the correct way, I think it is up to the parents' discretion.

Also, we were never hit out of pure anger, it was discipline, and I do not regret it, and I'd go as far as to say I'd thank my parents for being the way they were. I don't judge any parent who chooses to use these methods, the correct way, I think it is up to the parents' discretion.

Why is it "discipline" to hit (assault, iow) smaller beings who don't see the world as we do because they are still developing perfectly okay?. "He would not listen" is code for "I was pissed and frustrated. I don't know if he was just being a brat, or he didn't get it. But either way, he was running the show."

Why can't I hit the fucking adults who do waaay more than "not listen," I mean, we are even the same size....oh, why is that assault?

Oh, I need to keep this non-PC thing going. It applies all around. Yes, Republicans...

Enhanced Interrogation techniques = torture
Spanking = striking repeatedly
Neutralized threat(s) = murder(s)

Last edited:
Why is it "discipline" to hit (assault, iow) smaller beings who don't see the world as we do because they are still developing perfectly okay?. "He would not listen" is code for "I was pissed and frustrated. I don't know if he was just being a brat, or he didn't get it. But either way, he was running the show."

Why can't I hit the fucking adults who do waaay more than "not listen," I mean, we are even the same size....oh, why is that assault?

19th century white Americans were puzzled and superior when they encountered Native American childrearing practices (they didn't hit their kids). They couldn't believe how 'unruly' they were, running around playing all the time...

This spanking thing, it's not really vested in 'nature'. It's a historical construct which has emerged in a lot of societies which practiced corporal punishment anyway.

Oh, I need to keep this non-PC thing going. It applies all around. Yes, Republicans...

Enhanced Interrogation techniques = torture
Spanking = striking repeatedly
Neutralized threat(s) = murder(s)

1. You calling it "assault" doesn't make it assault. There is a difference between discipline and assault. There is more nuance to this than you seem to be able to comprehend.
2. "He would not listen", is not code for anything. Your argument is your own visceral response and interpretation to it.
3. Adults are not your children, you do not discipline adults, and you do not discipline other peoples children, there is no argument here. It doesn't apply in any way. You also do not even spank your adult children, by that point it's futile, this is done early on in their childhood.

1. You calling it "assault" doesn't make it assault. There is a difference between discipline and assault. There is more nuance to this than you seem to be able to comprehend.
2. "He would not listen", is not code for anything. Your argument is your own visceral response and interpretation to it.
3. Adults are not your children, you do not discipline adults, and you do not discipline other peoples children, there is no argument here. It doesn't apply in any way. You also do not even spank your adult children, by that point it's futile, this is done early on in their childhood.

I'm not seeing an argument here.

Is it acceptable to strike a dog for discipline? A puppy? I'm just wondering why human children seem to be alone in this special category of 'okay to strike'.

I agree.

I'm not seeing an argument here.

Is it acceptable to strike a dog for discipline? A puppy? I'm just wondering why human children seem to be alone in this special category of 'okay to strike'.
@Deleted member 16771 You make it sound like people are beating their children. A pop on the hand or bottom is not the same a what you are describing. I think your opinion is a little extreme, but it is yours. If you feel that way, that is okay. But don't try to make people feel guilty for giving their child a pop when that is completely legal. Beating and abuse are far different and is not acceptable in the slightest and they that do that should go to jail.

Something else we disagree on! Lol. Still as I said it's not something you do at first impulse, not to be taken lightly. And I still respect that you feel that way.

You make it sound like people are beating their children. A pop on the hand or bottom is not the same a what you are describing. I think your opinion is a little extreme, but it is yours. If you feel that way, that is okay. But don't try to make people feel guilty for giving their child a pop when that is completely legal. Beating and abuse are far different and is not acceptable in the slightest and they that do that should go to jail.

It's not necessarily my opinion, I'm just trying to find where the logical argument is.

People seem to be making this arbitrary distinction between extreme violence and 'modest violence'.

'Spanking' - we call it 'smacking' here - is the infliction of pain in order to discipline by Pavlovian means.

It doesn't matter if the pain is very light, it's still being used as negative reinforcement. It is something they do not like; it is real pain, otherwise it would not be effective.