Short term gratification for long term goals

tfg345i4u5lw

On Holiday
Apr 11, 2010
MBTI
????
Enneagram
None
We humans are not programmed to accomplish long term goals without any kind of gratification along the way. So when working towards a long term goal it is important to reward yourself along the way, that way you don't get burnt out and unhappy.

What are some simple things you guys do to help keep the fire going inside you? Simple things that I can do to reward myself? Sometimes I feel like a hamster on a wheel, like I'm working my ass off but I'm not getting anywhere. What do you do or can you do to eliminate this feeling?

Presuming you have to get to work by driving, get a sweet ride.

I virtually race out the door.

i don't really have the short term gratification - i just push harder, fall apart, glue myself back together and push harder

I have to feel like the work I'm doing is relevant through seeing the impact it's making and knowing I'm making important and decisive steps that are moving me forward in my life plans. My long term plans reflect what I really want to do in life, so when I'm doing things that are relevant, I can tell they are because I can directly see the connection and I really enjoy doing them. So basically, I do things that are as relevant and fun feeling as possible. If I don't, it's literally almost impossible for me to get through the task, I get really stubborn.

Last edited by a moderator:
definitely relate to this. Have had too many things where I'm working for long periods of time, years, and still feels as if you're not getting anywhere or progressing. Always being told that one day it will be worth it doesn't help. To resolve this, maybe setting smaller goals to achieve instead of thinking that success is only about the end result. Also, just treat yourself to a day out doing the things you love to do makes me remember not to lose myself in the process of striving to achieve the next thing. Also, realize life is not always about the race, although the world says otherwise. Go at your own pace as much as you are able, that way you won't feel as stressed trying to meet an unrealistic expectation that will never likely meet anyway.

i don't really have the short term gratification - i just push harder, fall apart, glue myself back together and push harder

Lol this is exactly what I've done in the past and what I'm trying to prevent in the future.

I have to feel like the work I'm doing is relevant through seeing the impact it's making and knowing I'm making important and decisive steps that are moving me forward in my life plans. My long term plans reflect what I really want to do in life, so when I'm doing things that are relevant, I can tell they are because I can directly see the connection and I really enjoy doing them. So basically, I do things that are as relevant and fun feeling as possible. If I don't, it's literally almost impossible for me to get through the task, I get really stubborn.

Learned about this in a health class, it's called self-efficacy. Self-efficacy is a measure of your confidence in your ability to acheive a goal. People with high levels of self-efficacy tend to be happier, less stressed, and ultimately more successful. Self-efficacy is easy at times, like when the path is clear. But what if you are trying to accomplish something extraordinary and the statistical chances of success are far out of your favor? How do you maintain a high level of self-efficacy in the face of adversity?

Learned about this in a health class, it's called self-efficacy. Self-efficacy is a measure of your confidence in your ability to acheive a goal. People with high levels of self-efficacy tend to be happier, less stressed, and ultimately more successful. Self-efficacy is easy at times, like when the path is clear. But what if you are trying to accomplish something extraordinary and the statistical chances of success are far out of your favor? How do you maintain a high level of self-efficacy in the face of adversity?

Idk, mine is pretty low when it comes to situations like that. But then I realize what I feel about it isn't as important as just trying hard anyway, since it's all I can do.

To avoid this feeling I have a series of mini goals that make up my large goals. Each is a step toward it and a checkpoint to see if I am moving toward my goal. When I hit my mini goal I might take a holiday for a few days or do something I've always wanted to do. Without this I would have no idea if I was achieving anything or just working for no real reason other than to feel like I am getting somewhere.

Follow a path but stop to sniff the air every now and then.

Reactions: Nixie
I don't know if the rewards I give myself, such as a trip or a shopping adventure, are as motivating and satisfying as when I feel someone's appreciated my hard work. When I know I've done a good job, and someone sees it (even if it's just a friend), it's like "YEEEEEEEEEEEAH! I'm awesome! I love this! I'm going to get it done!" and it sets a fire in me.