Sci-fi/fantasy Literature | INFJ Forum

Sci-fi/fantasy Literature

Chess

Community Member
Aug 11, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Feel free to drop in with some recommendations, ranting, or raving.

To kick things off, my favorite fantasy novel for years has been Kij Johnson's The Fox Woman. In a world of imitations and far too many elves, this woman decided she'd rewrite a short Japanese folk tale into a full-blown romance novel touching on things like what it means to be human and the place of gender in ancient Japan. Despite any complaints about terminology from Japanophiles, mad props.

9780312875596.jpg

I'm looking forward to reading Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Last edited:
The Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker

Metaphysics aside, one of the main characters, Kelhus Anassurimbor, is the most lucid example of the INFJ personality and Ni-Fe-Ti-Se processing style I have ever found. It was only after crawling around in his head for a while that I actually noticed the connection, which was blatantly obvious afterwards.

The Wise Man's Fear and The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Simply excellent storytelling. It's a bittersweet rendition of the Lord of the Rings, IMO.

To cite VERY few of my favorites -
"City of Thieves" by David Benioff - This book is sort of a melange of historical fiction (or is it?) and adventure...it is incredibly well written and would make an incredible movie if the right person were to pick it up. I usually don’t read historical fiction as I am also a sci-fi/fantasy buff, but this one more than worked for me.
city-of-thieves_l.jpg

In the Sci-fi category, the very top of my list has to be the "Hyperion Cantos" by Dan Simmons - Far too huge of a story for me to sum up in a few sentences, but I think anyone who has read it would agree that the series is a modern sci-fi classic. Dan Simmons is one of those writers...not unlike Frank Herbert, who had incredible amounts of details, information, sub-plots, etc....but, unlike Frank Herbert does it in a way that does not drag on or interrupt the plot....somehow at the very end of it all, everything is not only connected but concludes into my absolute favorite ending. Highly recommended!
cantos.jpg

I have to also include the “Imagica" books by Clive Barker
While he is pretty well known for his horror stories and movies...this two book series would fall under the fantasy section, although in true Clive Barker style there are some horrific and sexually perverse parts. Barker actually names it as his favourite of all his writings. Imagica chronicles the events surrounding the reconciliation of Earth, called the Fifth Dominion, with the other four Dominions, parallel worlds unknown to all but a select few of Earth's inhabitants.
If you haven’t read it, you should put it on your list.
imajicaush1.jpg

And I will leave you with one more from my HUGE list of favorite books...in the Sci-Fi category it would have to be “Snow Crash” by Neal Stephenson.
This is another that would most definitely be in the modern sci-fi classic category...I know a lot of people probably have read this one if they are into sci-fi, but I just had to add it as it is one I like to re-read every few years or so...it never seems to get old. The main character, Hiro Protagonist, discovers the name of a new pseudo-narcotic, "Snow Crash", being offered at an exclusive Metaverse (virtual reality world) nightclub. Hiro's friend and fellow hacker falls victim to Snow Crash's effects, which are apparently unique in that they are experienced in the Metaverse and also in the physical world. Hiro uses his computer hacking, sharp cognitive skills, and sword-fighting to uncover the mystery of "Snow Crash”.
snow-crash-cover.jpg

That’s all for now...I’ll post more if you like.

51Em1zWVV5L__SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg

Seriously seriously hard sci fi. It was a great read.

tyco.jpg

This is the book that got me hooked on sci fi at the age of 6 or so. I suspect it would be simple reading these days, none the less its burnt into my mind. I remember when they were do book shows at school. They would talk about several books and then at the end ask who wanted to check which book out. When they held this book up myself and another girl both said we wanted it. It wasnt tell later I found out she only wanted it because I did. Wow, the things we remember.

anything Ray Bradbury. close your eyes and choose one you wont be disappointed