Roommates . . . | INFJ Forum

Roommates . . .

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Can't live with them, can't pay rent without them.

What are the pros and cons of living with a roommate?

What makes that relationship work?

What can make it not work so well?

For introvert the pros if any don't out weight the cons.

If you can afford it skip the roommates.

My lease picks up in three weeks, and I'll be moving in with 3 old buddies from high school. Outside of a situation that has hindered my relationship with one of them, I'm looking forward to it. I have my own bedroom and bathroom, and my lease is individual and separate from theirs so I don't have to worry about picking up their rent. I lived with one of them my freshman year of college, and it was a good experience. His messiness got on my nerves, but otherwise the year went without a hitch. I lived alone last year, and that had its ups and down. My own place was great, but I also got lonely in the winter when it was -10 outside and I didn't want to sludge a mile across town to hang out.

I'll let you know what it's like living with three other people in a couple of months.

Living with a roommate is extremely easy as long as you keep similar(ish) hours, communicate well and consistently, discuss (not dictate) mutual rules, and occasionally feed them.

It is like having a pet, except waaaaay easier.

**NOTE***
It helps if both participants are reasonably sane, and of the human persuasion (mer-people, aliens, and robots look good on paper but BEWARE).
It also helps if both people are willing to forgive small mistake/foibles in the other, and gives the other person space.
Your roommate-ship will be fantastic if both people are good at engineering excuses to sleep elsewhere on occasion. Or have a partner(s) who don't mind volunteering their place.

Living with a roommate is extremely easy as long as you keep similar(ish) hours, communicate well and consistently, discuss (not dictate) mutual rules, and occasionally feed them.

It is like having a pet, except waaaaay easier.

**NOTE***
It helps if both participants are reasonably sane, and of the human persuasion (mer-people, aliens, and robots look good on paper but BEWARE).
It also helps if both people are willing to forgive small mistake/foibles in the other, and gives the other person space.
Your roommate-ship will be fantastic if both people are good at engineering excuses to sleep elsewhere on occasion. Or have a partner(s) who don't mind volunteering their place.

This is true when you have reasonable roommates and not super extroverted, bossy and controlling roommates .

I routinely wish to rip the vocal chords out of her throat and strangle her with them.
However I refrain. Not that she pays her bills anyway.

Make sure whomever you're living with has the same taste in music as you, you're both on the same page about loud sex, they are financially stable and they can respect the cleanliness of your shared spaces.

For introvert the pros if any don't out weight the cons.

If you really feel this way then I'd seriously start getting new friends if I were you.

Me and my roomate respected each other's privacy.

This is true when you have reasonable roommates and not super extroverted, bossy and controlling roommates .

Er - I AM that super extroverted, bossy roommate.. although not controlling. I mostly like to make plans and rope my roommates into them. XD
But no one has ever described me as controlling.

If you really feel this way then I'd seriously start getting new friends if I were you.

Mine stole my identity.

No joke.

I routinely wish to rip the vocal chords out of her throat and strangle her with them.
However I refrain. Not that she pays her bills anyway.

Make sure whomever you're living with has the same taste in music as you, you're both on the same page about loud sex, they are financially stable and they can respect the cleanliness of your shared spaces.

Like I said, no mer-people.

Living with roommates for me is difficult. I like things to be a very particular way. I expect cleanliness, quiet and a mutual respect for privacy. When I am at home I like to be left alone for the most part.

My roommate now and my last roommate are both very extroverted people and neither of them seem to know when to stop talking. For the most part I try to be patient with them because without them I'd never be able to make rent on my own.

I have a habit of being a little bit controlling but I find that someone in the house needs to take charge and make sure things are being done... but it's kind of my personality to take charge I guess.

I'd prefer living alone, but I'm not willing to give up my location and my apartment for that. I'll wait until I can afford it alone and then hopefully live alone after that.

Pretty much everything my roommate does pisses me off nowadays.

He insists on having all his conversations on speakerphone at full volume, right now he is in the living room, I am in my room, and I can hear his whole conversation.

Last Monday he insisted on making a ton of racket at 11pm at night working on his flooring, music blaring, when I was completely stressed and trying to sleep. This wasn't hardly the first time he pulled this. He about got knocked out, seriously, and that would be a first for me.

The weekend before that, he painted sealer on the floor without opening any windows for ventilation. I came out and asked him to open some windows, and he cracked the front and back door, nothing more.

All of this work on the floor is because his cats keep pissing on the carpet, I told him over 6 months ago to take them to the vet, but instead he goes and spends all this money on new carpet, new flooring, etc, etc. I doubt he has any plans to take them to the vet, I will be laughing at him when they continue to pee on his new carpet.

I can't walk out of my room without him starting to ramble to me about something completely irrelevant to anything. If I tell him I had a stressful day he goes in and starts blurbing about each detail in his day that was stressful. I can literally speak about 5 seconds before her takes over the conversation and just... does... not... stop...

I don't watch movies with him anymore because he insists on talking about things during the movie that he might happen to think of.

I am just sick of him, completely.

This doesn't bring into account some other more serious issues I have with him which I don't want to talk about on here.

Definitely going back to living by myself after I get out of this town.

Reactions: 894tt3h9

What makes you think I'm friends with them. I'm only friends with one of them. That leaves two others I don't like.

Last edited:
I did the roommate thing. I will never do it again if I can help it. The good times only last for so long. And if your friends it tends too kill the friendship in the end. When I was younger and liked too party and drink on the weekends it was nice to have a drinking buddies. I don't drink much anymore and I am not friends with any of my old roommates either. Go figure lol

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I did the roommate thing. I will never do it again if I can help it. The good times only last for so long. And if your friends it tends too kill the friendship in the end. When I was younger and liked too party and drink on the weekends it was nice to have a drinking buddies. I don't drink much anymore and I am not friends with any of my old roommates either. Go figure lol

Agreed. My last roommate and I were and are great friends, but after living with him for a couple of years it really started to become taxing on the friendship. Fortunately he sensed this and made the decision to move out so I wouldn't have to re-locate.

So I guess the plus side was that while he never stopped talking and was very very messy, he respected me and the friendship enough to know when it was just time to part ways.

Different tastes in furniture
Different values on books
Houses generally only have one space for a fridge, not several
Drinking habits and parties.

i'm living with 2 roommates now, pros are it's cheaper, feels safer and there's always someone to talk to and help out with chores etc. cons are, unless you're good friends with them you're going to get into arguments about getting in each others way, playing music too loud for example, or messing around with each other's personal stuff. little things about their personalities will start to grate on you after a while~! but it's not that bad. better than living alone imo