Rip to .avi | INFJ Forum

Rip to .avi

S

Shai Gar

Hypotheticals...

It is completely illegal to rip movies from DVD to .avi format and neither I, nor the forums are suggesting this in any way.

However, does anyone know any programs that might hypothetically rip a DVD onto a .avi format?

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
I've never attempted to convert anything from DVD format (because that would be illegal!), but that program has yet to fail me.

However, I'm not sure it will read the file from the DVD, so you may have to figure out how to get the files onto your computer. Haven't tried it, and I don't have time to do so tonight.

Merry hypothetical pirating!

I once overheard a pixie (nefarious creatures) describing visiting a mystical place that sounded to my innocent ears like "Where's Bee Bee?". Apparently if you find this place and write within its magical searching box, it will provide treasures beyond your wildest imagining, related directly to the words you write. eg. 'DVD to AVI'. Whether you can trust a Pixie or not is entirely up to you.

I once overheard a pixie (nefarious creatures) describing visiting a mystical place that sounded to my innocent ears like "Where's Bee Bee?". Apparently if you find this place and write within its magical searching box, it will provide treasures beyond your wildest imagining, related directly to the words you write. eg. 'DVD to AVI'. Whether you can trust a Pixie or not is entirely up to you.

The following forms of fae are trustworthy:

Faeries

The following forms of fae are untrustworthy:

Pixies
Nymphs
Sirens
Sprites

The following forms of fae are trustworthy:

Faeries

The following forms of fae are untrustworthy:

Pixies
Nymphs
Sirens
Sprites
Goddess! you're so prejudiced! All of those you listed can lie, and can tell the truth. It entirely depends on the context. A Faery will lie to you if its for your boon, and a Siren will tell you the truth if its to her boon.

If you have a Linux box you can use the burning tool K3B which can do the job for you.

AutoGK for Windows, or Handbrake for everything else (including Windows). I haven't tried Handbrake in anything but OSX, but I'd imagine it would be fine if your computer is up to snuff.

DVDFab appears to work well...

It rips straight to .avi, and the only issue I'm having with it is that the volume comes out very VERY soft. I have to turn all the volumes up high.

Speakers (volume maximum)
Computer (volume maximum)
Windows Media Player (volume maximum)

Next video that I hypothetically rip, i'll check all options for sound.

play the DVD on your TV
record it with a camera that has a memory stick
use the memory stick to put the recorded DVD unto your computer

:D

Ahh, so you must have one of those handy cameras that records right to DVD, and wish to rip THAT. Which is perfectly legal to me.

AAAANYWAYS!

http://www.magic-video-software.com/magic_video_converter/index.html

This program is very versatile, and transcodes almost everything. I tried it and it works awesomely.

If you have a Linux box you can use the burning tool K3B which can do the job for you.
K3B is my favorite CD/DVD burning tool ever. Its like the Nero Burning ROM of linux, but only free and not bloated.

MVC transcodes virtually EVERYTHING, meaning you can convert MP3s to various different proprietary formats and DVDs to AVI, etc, it just so happens to have burning capability built in.

Nero can do this as well, its just that nero's interface is a bit more kludgy (not to mention the fact that it wants to install stupid things like nero scout and some lame sound editing program and a cheesy photo editing app among other things).

Last edited:
uh huh, but the key thing is, can it rip a dvd movie, and save it as .avi?

Burning is different to this.