Revisiting Feminism: INFJ (or other type) perspectives | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

Revisiting Feminism: INFJ (or other type) perspectives

I see what you're saying, but my opinion is that looking at it through a gender-inequality lens is narrow- issues of deprivation, injustice and inequalities go far beyond a gender issue. I personally don't think feminism today can effectively capture the issues society faces, particularly women. Being a woman today means I have far more rights and opportunities than I had 20 years ago...but being a woman today doesn't mean I don't face injustices.

What right specifically do you have now that you didn't 20 years ago?
[MENTION=10252]say what[/MENTION], I take it by your silence that you do not have many more rights.

Last edited:
I think we need to look closely at those who think there is not a severe gender bias if not out right oppression of women in the world. We need to look at who is behind those who are promulgating the idea that equal protection under the law for women is jeopardizing our christian capitalist system

Last edited:
POSTED: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 4:58pm
UPDATED: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 5:19pm

BATON ROUGE, LA (NBC33) — Thousands of people in Louisiana use Planned Parenthood’s services every year. A group of lawmakers are pushing a resolution to prevent state funds from being used for those services.
Today, advocates on both side of the issue defended their positions.
New Orleans-native Shawna Kimbrough maintains that one trip to Planned Parenthood as a teen changed her life forever.
"I was actually horrified to find out that at approximately 8 weeks it was not this blob of tissue, or whatever lie I had been told, but I could see his little hands and feet," described Kimbrough, accounting the abortion she chose to have at a clinic when she was 16.
That's why she and others are hoping to see all the state money the health care provider gets, taken away.
"Louisiana is giving, at this point, about a million dollars in state and federal money, to an organization that provides abortion," explained Dorinda Bordlee with the Louisiana Right to Life.
Planned Parenthood officials say none of that money goes to fund abortions. It is illegal under federal law to use state or federal money for abortion services. Planned Parenthood spokesperson Julie Mickleberry says those funds go for things like testing and preventative care for low-income patients.
"They (patients) come in because they trust us to provide quality healthcare. What just happened in that hearing is politically motivated," Mickleberry explained.
Though the resolution doesn't carry the weight of law, it would strongly recommend the defunding Planned Parenthood. A big mistake according to those working within the organization.
"What would happen if they do suspend funds is that people would not receive healthcare that they need," Mickelberry said.
Even though de-funding won't take place without several state agencies blessings, those like Shawna Kimbrough say the resolution is a victory.
"Any time abbey Johnson, or myself speaks truth, it's always a win," Kimbrough said.
A spokesperson for the Department of Health and Hospitals released this statement to NBC33 concerning the matter:
"We will review the resolution in its final form, and will determine if any additional measures are necessary in order to ensure that DHH licensed facilities comply with all state laws."
An identical resolution already passed through the Senate.
http://www.nbc33tv.com/news/louisiana-politics/planned-parenthood-under

[h=2]The Victims[/h]
  • One in 4 women will experience domestic violence during her lifetime.
  • Women experience more than 4 million physical assaults and rapes because of their partners, and men are victims of nearly 3 million physical assaults.
  • Women are more likely to be killed by an intimate partner than men
  • Women ages 20 to 24 are at greatest risk of becoming victims of domestic violence.
  • Every year, 1 in 3 women who is a victim of homicide is murdered by her current or former partner.
https://www.safehorizon.org/index/w.../domestic-violence-statistics--facts-195.html

The Defense Department estimates that 23 to 28 percent of women serving in the military will be sexually assaulted at least once over the course of their service. Appallingingly, 11 percent will be raped.
http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/05/08/military-rape-still-on-the-rise

Despite efforts to recruit and retain more women, a stark gender disparity persists within academic science. Abundant research has demonstrated gender bias in many demographic groups, but has yet to experimentally investigate whether science faculty exhibit a bias against female students that could contribute to the gender disparity in academic science. In a randomized double-blind study (n = 127), science faculty from research-intensive universities rated the application materials of a student—who was randomly assigned either a male or female name—for a laboratory manager position. Faculty participants rated the male applicant as significantly more competent and hireable than the (identical) female applicant. These participants also selected a higher starting salary and offered more career mentoring to the male applicant. The gender of the faculty participants did not affect responses, such that female and male faculty were equally likely to exhibit bias against the female student. Mediation analyses indicated that the female student was less likely to be hired because she was viewed as less competent. We also assessed faculty participants’ preexisting subtle bias against women using a standard instrument and found that preexisting subtle bias against women played a moderating role, such that subtle bias against women was associated with less support for the female student, but was unrelated to reactions to the male student. These results suggest that interventions addressing faculty gender bias might advance the goal of increasing the participation of women in science.
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/09/14/1211286109#aff-1

Reactions: invisible
I think we need to look closely at those who think there is not a severe gender bias if not out right oppression of women in the world. We need to look at who is behind those who are promulgating the idea that equal protection under the law for women is jeopardizing our christian capitalist system

I think equality for women is a good thing

I don't care much for the christian church and i don't care for capitalism either

But that doens't mean i'm going to let myself be tricked into a new form of oppression by a trojan horse either

What i'm trying to point out is that when people say 'this is what feminism is about' what they are really saying is what feminism means to them; but that is not what feminism actually is

'Feminism is just a word and everybody ascribes their own meaning to it. That is what you are doeing as well. I don't see why your definition of 'feminism' is any more valid than mine.

The basic definition is still to believe in equality for women and to fight for women's rights. Any other meaning added to it is very subjective.

'Feminism is just a word and everybody ascribes their own meaning to it. That is what you are doeing as well. I don't see why your definition of 'feminism' is any more valid than mine.

The basic definition is still to believe in equality for women and to fight for women's rights. Any other meaning added to it is very subjective.

Thats fine on the discussion level but on the action level then that's where we hit up against problems

So if someone self identifies as 'a feminist' then they may get swept along with certain actions which a certain group of people want them to do and thereby end up being a tool of those people

I think equality for women is a good thing

I don't care much for the christian church and i don't care for capitalism either

But that doens't mean i'm going to let myself be tricked into a new form of oppression by a trojan horse either

This isn't about you and your comfy, protected life, this is about the rights of billions world wide.

This isn't about you and your comfy, protected life, this is about the rights of billions world wide.

Well i had to say what my views were there becaue you had just placed a question mark over them by saying we should all ask more questions about those who are questioning feminism...so i then felt i needed to say ''woah...i'm not a christian or a capitalist and i am for equality for women''

You tried to simplify this down to a christian capitalists versus everyone else situation and i'm saying its not that simple

But global poverty is exactly why people should recognise that the same people who are behind the feminist movement are the same people behind the neoliberal movement that has spread poverty across the world, they are the same people who are behind the banking crisis, the same people behind all the wars, the same people behind the corporate dominance of governments (see their new global TPP Treaty), the same people behind the NSA spying, the same people behind most of the 'terror' attacks and so on

This is exactly why people need to recognise the methods by which we are all kept from seeing what the cause of the problems are

So what happens is that everyone fragments down into seperate and divided groups who all fight against different 'causes' whilst failing to recognise that those causes are all symptoms of the same problem

They have everyone running around fussing and fighting and expending their energies but getting nothing done because the same puppet masters at the top keep pulling all the strings

Do you honestly think that voting republican nexttime round will make any difference? Of course it won't because they own the republicans AND the democrats

Thats fine on the discussion level but on the action level then that's where we hit up against problems

So if someone self identifies as 'a feminist' then they may get swept along with certain actions which a certain group of people want them to do and thereby end up being a tool of those people

That could be true of anyone wether they choose to call themselves a feminist or not.

I do believe in not just discussing it but taking action. The group I belong to does the following: gives away scholarships to women who are the sole supporter of their family (can be supporting kids but can also be supporting a husband who can't work for health reasons) and are studying to be able to improve their earning capabilites, offers grants for women in post-graduate studies who are planning for a career helping women, gives grants to aboriginal women to study group and family mediation to help their communities, supports therapy groups for women and girls that have been sexually abused, supports a program that gives a makeover to women who are in shelters and trying to start a new life...and lots more.

I would consider this work 'feminist' but I don't believe we are 'swept away' to be tools for anybody. We are just doing our little bit of contribution to help women who could use a helping hand to have a better life. It's all about women empowering themselves and each other and nothing at all about criticizing men (we're too busy actually getting things done to bother with that sort of nonsense). I believe that is what feminism is because that's the version I live and the intentions of the women I work with are pretty pure and straightforward with no hidden agendas.

The word feminism has too many different meanings. I don't identify as feminist. I identify as a someone who wants women's rights to be respected and equality in opportunities for everyone, meaning no one should be told they can't do something just because of gender. Dictating that women or anyone who believes in equality must identify as feminist is a bit contradictory. Whatever the original intention, many today are just not comfortable with all the social and political associations with the word, and they have that right like anyone else not to identify with it if they choose not to. Not respecting that is more troubling because you are essentially saying a person must accept the word as the THE word to use to define and represent gender equality and women's rights and equality is quite narrow. So, it's saying we have no choice but to accept and support the use of that word as the only one to umbrella all these issues of gender. Hooray for choice! (facedesk)

Reactions: barbad0s and muir
If we go back far enough, we find inter dimensional reptilians are really behind the feminist movement, right?

That could be true of anyone wether they choose to call themselves a feminist or not.

I do believe in not just discussing it but taking action. The group I belong to does the following: gives away scholarships to women who are the sole supporter of their family (can be supporting kids but can also be supporting a husband who can't work for health reasons) and are studying to be able to improve their earning capabilites, offers grants for women in post-graduate studies who are planning for a career helping women, gives grants to aboriginal women to study group and family mediation to help their communities, supports therapy groups for women and girls that have been sexually abused, supports a program that gives a makeover to women who are in shelters and trying to start a new life...and lots more.

I would consider this work 'feminist' but I don't believe we are 'swept away' to be tools for anybody. We are just doing our little bit of contribution to help women who could use a helping hand to have a better life. It's all about women empowering themselves and each other and nothing at all about criticizing men (we're too busy actually getting things done to bother with that sort of nonsense). I believe that is what feminism is because that's the version I live and the intentions of the women I work with are pretty pure and straightforward with no hidden agendas.

I think by calling it 'feminism' you are creating a bias

You either believe in equality or you don't

If you believe in equality then you should want to see a better world for men as well as women

It sound slike you'r einvolved in good work but i people can tinker around the fringes of problems all the want but what they are going to find is that all the social problems that stem from poverty for example: drug abuse, domestic violence, crime and so on are only going to get worse as the economic situation gets worse....people involved in humanitarian work are going to get swamped

If people want to end all these social problems and work towards a more community based and gentler system but one that doesn' strip them of their freedoms then perhaps they need to think carefully about what different people out there stand for and who they want to give their support to

They need to ask if the corporate system is healthy, if our political system is working, if we want to be at war all the time etc

There is a need in the world for not only good female role models but also good male role models...so what are those?

If we go back far enough, we find inter dimensional reptilians are really behind the feminist movement, right?

lol

Well what are 'inter dimensional reptilians'?

Are they actual beings out there somewhere or are they something that lurks on the archetypal collective conscious level of the psyche?

Reactions: acd
The word feminism has too many different meanings. I don't identify as feminist. I identify as a someone who wants women's rights to be respected and equality in opportunities for everyone, meaning no one should be told they can't do something just because of gender. Dictating that women or anyone who believes in equality must identify as feminist is a bit contradictory. Whatever the original intention, many today are just not comfortable with all the social and political associations with the word, and they have that right like anyone else not to identify with it if they choose not to. Not respecting that is more troubling because you are essentially saying a person must accept the word as the THE word to use to define and represent gender equality and women's rights and equality is quite narrow. So, it's saying we have no choice but to accept and support the use of that word as the only one to umbrella all these issues of gender. Hooray for choice! (facedesk)

Absolutely!

I think this female author makes a good point that feminism can be split into 3 phases

The first phase was the suffragette movement and it is radically different to the movement that came in the 1960's and 1970's; i would put it to people that it is because some people hijaked things in the 1960's

I would also say that those people do not really care about the emancipation of people but rather the control of people

Women were making ground fine without the hijaking of the 'feminist' movement; a big shift was doing the mens jobs while they were away during WW2 for example...that had NOTHING to do with a certain part of the 'feminism' movement

[video=youtube;qH-mjGNqlHs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH-mjGNqlHs[/video]

Last edited:
I do not believe this is a discussion about feminism. This is more a platform to warn the unsuspecting masses of the oncoming new world order.
Have fun you all!

I think by calling it 'feminism' you are creating a bias

You either believe in equality or you don't

If you believe in equality then you should want to see a better world for men as well as women

It sound slike you'r einvolved in good work but i people can tinker around the fringes of problems all the want but what they are going to find is that all the social problems that stem from poverty for example: drug abuse, domestic violence, crime and so on are only going to get worse as the economic situation gets worse....people involved in humanitarian work are going to get swamped

If people want to end all these social problems and work towards a more community based and gentler system but one that doesn' strip them of their freedoms then perhaps they need to think carefully about what different people out there stand for and who they want to give their support to

They need to ask if the corporate system is healthy, if our political system is working, if we want to be at war all the time etc

There is a need in the world for not only good female role models but also good male role models...so what are those?

I do believe in equality for all, that is why I work to help women because I believe that is the best way that I can help reach that. I think a world where women are equal and self-empowered is a better world for everyone. Many of the women we help have sons and if we help their mother we help them as well. I would support a group that helps anybody who is in need but there is only so much that I can do and I picked this to put my energies into because I truly believe that helping a few women makes a difference. I leave the rest to others to do. I feel that I am doing my part as much as I can.

There is a need for good role models, period. I don't care what you call them. What makes them good role models is how they live their life and not what their title is.

I've mentioned this to you before but I truly believe that 'grassroots' work is where I can make a real tangible contribution, the other 'conspiracy' stuff I leave to you because I don't have the power or inclination to deal with that. When I see a young mother cry because she is so grateful for having received $1000 to help her or when I read a statement from a woman who says that the therapy she received helped her to feel that she deserves friends for the first time in her life, and I had a part in making that happen, I feel that I have made a difference in the world. I can relate to women better and I feel that they are more vulnerable than men so that is where I put my efforts. You are welcome to put your efforts wherever you feel there is some need and call yourself whatever you want to. I will not criticize you for it.

I do not believe this is a discussion about feminism. This is more a platform to warn the unsuspecting masses of the oncoming new world order.
Have fun you all!

The mistake is thinking that they are two seperate things

I do believe in equality for all, that is why I work to help women because I believe that is the best way that I can help reach that. I think a world where women are equal and self-empowered is a better world for everyone. Many of the women we help have sons and if we help their mother we help them as well. I would support a group that helps anybody who is in need but there is only so much that I can do and I picked this to put my energies into because I truly believe that helping a few women makes a difference. I leave the rest to others to do. I feel that I am doing my part as much as I can.

There is a need for good role models, period. I don't care what you call them. What makes them good role models is how they live their life and not what their title is.

I've mentioned this to you before but I truly believe that 'grassroots' work is where I can make a real tangible contribution, the other 'conspiracy' stuff I leave to you because I don't have the power or inclination to deal with that. When I see a young mother cry because she is so grateful for having received $1000 to help her or when I read a statement from a woman who says that the therapy she received helped her to feel that she deserves friends for the first time in her life, and I had a part in making that happen, I feel that I have made a difference in the world. I can relate to women better and I feel that they are more vulnerable than men so that is where I put my efforts. You are welcome to put your efforts wherever you feel there is some need and call yourself whatever you want to. I will not criticize you for it.

Thats fine

I think it's a mistake for women to make men the enemy and i think that their sons and daughters will pay the price for that kind of behaviour in the world they then have to grow up in

I also think that the gap between 'news' and what you call 'conspiracy' is now dissapearing as more and more people realise whats going on out there; this then means that people either wish to engage with reality to make informed choices or cling to manufactured perceptions (for a while anyway)

people cannot get to grips with a problem if they do not acknowledge it

This idea of female inequality usually disgusts me. I am not much more the movement of feminism, particularly not when it gets into radical territory.

Reactions: tfg345i4u5lw