Love_Conquers_All

Community Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5, 415
I am realizing that I may have too high of standards when it comes to a romantic relationship. The problem is I have had these standards from the moment I became actively attracted to women. I have tried to lower my standards and ended up in relationships where I was with women that I was okay with but not happy. I ended them within a few weeks. I am really starting to believe that I may never find a woman that I can be happy with. Maybe I am meant to be alone.

Reactions: floatingbridge
My only standard which is super difficult is honesty. Even I withhold from fear though each experience is better. So long as communication is honest, I think that is the difference between a house made of bricks and one made of straw. Only, when it goes off track, putting it back on track is nothing short of honesty in the raw. I don't think my standards are high. Just maybe a little masochistic. which I'm afraid, I'm a little cerebrally masochistic so it works for me. :p

I don't know but I'd like to think that I'm too good for anyone, but really I feel like no one can possibly live with me. With my demanding ideals and high standards, that I'm pretty sure we INFJ tend to have, I think it's just a way to express our high walls that we surround ourselves. But I'm sure it's all going to be worth it, I think it takes patience and action. You just have to be at the right place at the right time with the right standards of people which you can associate with. It really won't work if you lower your standard and expect more from that.

I myself haven't dated anyone because I think I look scary to them. As in I have the 'bitchy resting face' condition. It doesn't matter anyway, if they can't handle strong women they don't deserve strong women, same for men. But I really am nice just like other infj's. I'm sure there's other types out there who are willing to reach those standards, just show interest and they're on their way.

I think it's important to have standards. You don't want to settle for someone you're not really going to be happy with- it's not fair to them. But it's important to know if the reason you're not finding someone is that you have too high standards or are just not open to someone.

I dated a guy once and I told him that his issue is that he puts an expiry date on all his relationships the instant he meets someone. Assuming someone won't meet your standards is different than having high standards. People can surprise you, and sometimes your standards change!

What are your standards anyways? I have a girl friend that I would say has unrealistic standards, but it's because they're all superficial (must be tall, handsome, have a 6 pack, athletic, kind, not self-involved, dress nice, nice teeth...it goes on.....these are silly standards!)...wanting someone to understand you or be compassionate are normal standards. Perhaps looking at what you want someone to be like will help you understand why you feel you're never meeting anyone.

For me, my friends tell me that I go for men that are way below any kind of standard (e.g., unemployed, pot smoking, poopy heads)- I then automatically am like "NOPE! Not going to work" ...so in my case, my lack of standards and belief that I can't attract half decent men is my issue!

Last edited:
I don't think there's any right or wrong way to approach relationships. It's perfectly okay to have high standards, as long as you're able to understand and accept the consequences of that.

I am realizing that I may have too high of standards when it comes to a romantic relationship. The problem is I have had these standards from the moment I became actively attracted to women. I have tried to lower my standards and ended up in relationships where I was with women that I was okay with but not happy. I ended them within a few weeks. I am really starting to believe that I may never find a woman that I can be happy with. Maybe I am meant to be alone.

Lol I second [MENTION=10252]say what[/MENTION], what are your standards? I'm sure we'll all tell you if we think they're too high or not lol.

I'm finding more often than not the highest standards you could have is wanting someone around you you enjoy and are safe with. There's a million girls in this world I find attractive and would have sex with, though more often than not I don't like who they are as people.

Well the main standard is personality and I have yet to meet a woman who I am attracted to based on personality, second would be intelligence because I can't stand stupid people. Third would be not lying ever! I don't lie to people and I expect the same. I have lied as a child but since I was taught and learned the harm in lying I haven't done so. Really that's it I mean obviously it won't work if there isn't a level of physical attraction, but I'm not seeking perfection in that area.

...so in my case, my lack of standards and belief that I can't attract half decent men is my issue!

I think I've found my twin! :m055:

Reactions: say what
It's perfectly okay to have high standards, as long as you're able to understand and accept the consequences of that.

this times 10,000 :)

And people need to watch for that "they need to meet my expectations thing." That can work against them. Many today are not walking around trying to meet anyone's expectations except their own. So, while some expect the other person to meet their standard, that person has their own high standard and may feel you don't meet theirs. Something's gotta give. And at the end of the day, are you dating a person or their standards?

Well the main standard is personality and I have yet to meet a woman who I am attracted to based on personality, second would be intelligence because I can't stand stupid people. Third would be not lying ever! I don't lie to people and I expect the same. I have lied as a child but since I was taught and learned the harm in lying I haven't done so. Really that's it I mean obviously it won't work if there isn't a level of physical attraction, but I'm not seeking perfection in that area.

Yup, the highest standards you could have and the only standards you should have. Psychical stuff is malleable. I don't know man, are you a man? *scrolls up* I don't know man, lol... I feel the same way though I still have sex with the women I find attractive while looking for the woman I actually want to be with. Helps me personally in the tedious process. And I always have an understanding with those I have sex with as involving their emotions make it all too messy. I know what I want in a woman, how crazy hard it is to find that in a lesbian... *smh* too damn hard. On the bright side I've had sex with a lot of women. On the not so bright side (the sad devastatingly dry desert side of a heat wave were there is no beginning and no end, your just there and your just lost) I have had sex with a lot of women that are completely clueless about sex. I'm gonna go to sleep now :/ today has drained me.

Reactions: tfg345i4u5lw

You're still young- think of all the woman you haven't met! You want your "one" to be unique and special, so that means she won't be ordinary or run of the mill! She's out there :)

....this is what I tell myself! It works......

sometimes!

Reactions: Gaze
Introspection. If the man is not intelligent to partake in honest introspection .. RUN!!!!! ...

that's probably my only requirement at this point in life for anyone in my life - as a friend or otherwise. Because .. most people chill at the reception area. but so few get past the receptionist. And I'm done letting peeps back there with a visitor pass to see if they've the capacity not to be a dumb ass. Something like that. :p

[MENTION=10303]NK278[/MENTION] – love your analogy re:most people chilling at the reception area. Perhaps we could also bring a security personnel into the story line….. ie "receptionist calls the security guard to eject the visitor who has no visitor pass but wants to be allowed in because of X, Y, Z!"

A friend once said to me (while discussing relationships etc) that she, "Would make her man have plastic surgery, if needed." I giggled only to realise she was being serious! Oops!

For me, of course there's got to be physical attraction ("woof woof" - this can also be translated as HOT!) but I know I judge or have higher expectations from men who are physically pleasing to the eye.

In my single days, I would unobtrusively observe the men I fancied (quietly and from a distance) to see if they had any depth to their personality. I wasn't aware of MBTI then and didn't know my type but the moment I picked up/sensed that the outside package didn’t match the inner - my interest would plummet.

My standards are very high BUT then IF I am prepared to give my ALL to that ONE person, then there's a HOPE and EXPECTATION that what you GIVE out is reflected back to you? YES? NO?

Do you think the poem by Oriah Mountain, "The Invitation" (below) could be the INFJ banner that represents the standard we would like in our relationships but more so with the ONE we hope to spend the rest of our lives with?

It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing.

It doesn’t interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn’t interest me what planets are squaring your moon. I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life’s betrayals or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain. I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it or fade it or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own, if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, to be realistic, to remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn’t interest me if the story you are telling me is true. I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul; if you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see beauty, even when it’s not pretty, every day, and if you can source your own life from its presence.

I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, "Yes!"

It doesn’t interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up, after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done to feed the children.

It doesn’t interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

It doesn’t interest me where or what or with whom you have studied. I want to know what sustains you, from the inside, when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.

Breathtakingly beautiful......always makes my spirit sigh with joy.

I think most of us feel like we're going to be alone forever, until we're not. A lot of people think it's their standards that prevent them from being in a relationship or finding the right person. I am here to tell you that's a stupid way of thinking about it. Allow me to be blunt:

This has nothing to do with standards and everything to do with YOUR personality. It has to do with ideals and expectations that you have built in your mind that very likely do not align with reality. It's nice to have ideas about things but when it comes to interactions with human beings you're doing not only yourself an injustice, but you are doing an injustice to other people. When you so closely adhere to ideals you have created in your head you can expect that no other human being will ever fulfill it because it goes against the nature of what it is to be a human being.

I don't think you are holding out for an ideal and you certainly aren't a better person than anyone else you date. What you're experiencing is just not being on the same wavelength. Maybe the people you have been dating don't share your ideals, your morals, your values. Maybe their personality doesn't complement your own. Maybe you are nitpicking on small things on purpose in order to not be with a person.

I went through a lot of people who I just didn't mesh with. I knew in my mind that the people who were interested in me were good, genuine men who had a lot to offer and a ton of great qualities to bring to the table but unfortunately there was a point that the CHEMISTRY wasn't there. It wasn't about their personality or their appearance, it was that spark that I wasn't feeling. I resigned myself to being single and I was happy with the choice. It never occurred to me to think that I was better than someone else, that these other men couldn't fulfill certain ideals (in some cases they actually did) or that I was just meant to be alone. It was simply because things didn't align in a way that we mutually wanted to pursue a romantic relationship.

It wasn't until I turned 28 that I found someone who I know I will be with for the rest of my life and oddly enough it was a friend I had briefly dated five years previous. He was one of the men who fulfilled all of my "ideals" and I fulfilled his. At that time, years ago, we would have been perfect together on paper but that spark wasn't there. We had to grow as people and come into our own as individuals and reconnected and hit it off. Oddly enough, both of us had changed fundamentally and what we had looked for in a partner and what we wanted romantically long term had drastically changed since we originally dated.

So you see, sometimes you have to grow the fuck up. Sometimes you have to wait until you are fully yourself and have established yourself in your own life and your own mind before you can ever let down your guard and let the right person in. I am fairly certain with 7 billion people on the planet that the chances of any of you being alone for ever are slim to none.

My advice is to stop putting yourself on a pedestal. Stop thinking that it's OTHER people who aren't fulfilling your needs. Stop clinging to the idea of what your relationship is supposed to look like and how it's supposed to feel. Just let yourself connect with others, learn what you need to learn and continue to move forward and constantly improving yourself. Eventually you will come into contact and it will just work. I have seen this over and over and over again in my younger self, in my friends and others that I have observed.

Be patient. Be open.

Reactions: barbad0s

Well that's the price you pay for being an intuitive libertine. lol The best thing to do is to accept it and not see it as a deficit. It also depends on how "high" your standards are; if they border on the obscene and does not fall into a common sense type behavior than you can re-evaluate your standards. But if your standards are more in line with expecting a higher standard of treating people and expecting good sense of morals and behavior than you have nothing to worry about.

Since we tend to attract that which our subconscious calls upon; there is probably a part of you that enjoys attracting an inferior partner. This can be conscious as in you feel good being a superior position and kinda look down on others standard of behavior or you are oblivious to the fact that you attract it. Bottom line is we attract what we love and hate at the same time and it is usually never about the person it is always within you. if you want to attract a more equal partner that shares similar standards than you most likely have to get rid of the belief that you have high standards and that others will not be able to meet your standards. That belief alone will set you up for failure. There should also be a certain amount of compassion and acceptance and tolerance needed and thats what makes relationships difficult because nobody will ever really fulfill you until you learn to fulfill your own needs and standards.

Reactions: Love_Conquers_All
I think most of us feel like we're going to be alone forever, until we're not. A lot of people think it's their standards that prevent them from being in a relationship or finding the right person. I am here to tell you that's a stupid way of thinking about it. Allow me to be blunt:

This has nothing to do with standards and everything to do with YOUR personality. It has to do with ideals and expectations that you have built in your mind that very likely do not align with reality. It's nice to have ideas about things but when it comes to interactions with human beings you're doing not only yourself an injustice, but you are doing an injustice to other people. When you so closely adhere to ideals you have created in your head you can expect that no other human being will ever fulfill it because it goes against the nature of what it is to be a human being.

I don't think you are holding out for an ideal and you certainly aren't a better person than anyone else you date. What you're experiencing is just not being on the same wavelength. Maybe the people you have been dating don't share your ideals, your morals, your values. Maybe their personality doesn't complement your own. Maybe you are nitpicking on small things on purpose in order to not be with a person.

I went through a lot of people who I just didn't mesh with. I knew in my mind that the people who were interested in me were good, genuine men who had a lot to offer and a ton of great qualities to bring to the table but unfortunately there was a point that the CHEMISTRY wasn't there. It wasn't about their personality or their appearance, it was that spark that I wasn't feeling. I resigned myself to being single and I was happy with the choice. It never occurred to me to think that I was better than someone else, that these other men couldn't fulfill certain ideals (in some cases they actually did) or that I was just meant to be alone. It was simply because things didn't align in a way that we mutually wanted to pursue a romantic relationship.

It wasn't until I turned 28 that I found someone who I know I will be with for the rest of my life and oddly enough it was a friend I had briefly dated five years previous. He was one of the men who fulfilled all of my "ideals" and I fulfilled his. At that time, years ago, we would have been perfect together on paper but that spark wasn't there. We had to grow as people and come into our own as individuals and reconnected and hit it off. Oddly enough, both of us had changed fundamentally and what we had looked for in a partner and what we wanted romantically long term had drastically changed since we originally dated.

So you see, sometimes you have to grow the fuck up. Sometimes you have to wait until you are fully yourself and have established yourself in your own life and your own mind before you can ever let down your guard and let the right person in. I am fairly certain with 7 billion people on the planet that the chances of any of you being alone for ever are slim to none.

My advice is to stop putting yourself on a pedestal. Stop thinking that it's OTHER people who aren't fulfilling your needs. Stop clinging to the idea of what your relationship is supposed to look like and how it's supposed to feel. Just let yourself connect with others, learn what you need to learn and continue to move forward and constantly improving yourself. Eventually you will come into contact and it will just work. I have seen this over and over and over again in my younger self, in my friends and others that I have observed.

Be patient. Be open.

I agree. With me though it's more of the fact that most women I have interacted with are just extremely ignorant or complete b******. I apologize I didn't take the time or effort to fully express my thoughts in the op. It was late and I was slightly drunk.All the decent women I have personally met were already in a relationship.

lol you're 24 years old. Most women AND men in your age bracket are ignorant and are bitches. BOTH men and women. I don't think I've ever seen one single example of anyone in their early 20's who had a solid head on their shoulders and who was all that wise or worldly. I remember being 24 and thinking I had everything figured out and I had all this intelligence and great skills and the whole bit. I was an idiot. In five years I guarantee you will think your 24 year old self was an idiot, too.

I wouldn't be so dismissive of most women. The problem with women is that they fall to social dynamics. It's their nature. Even if they aren't conditioned into certain behaviours the moment they become intertwined with groups of females that exhibit certain behaviours they'll take it on. Chances are that on an individual basis most women aren't all that bad or ignorant. Put them with a group of their girlfriends and their entire personality can change. Welcome to women before the age of 30.

I find that ignorance or bitchiness is more of a stress response that comes out of people when they have not yet learned to stand on their own two feet. I find men can go through the same things and I think it makes dating anyone seriously before the age of 30 to be very difficult. There's so much social pressure placed on both sexes that it can be hard to get past the exterior and sort out what the person is like on the inside. I can't say that I am all that fond of the hive mentality that both sexes tend to fall under but it's just something that happens. It's nature. It's how they're biologically wired. Don't ever assume that these people can't grow into self actualized people.

Maybe it's that you are one of the rare few who knows a thing or two at your age and you tend to operate on a different wavelength than most. You have your own shit with your personality that you have to sort out. Maybe most people won't be attracted to you because of that. It's just unfair to adhere so strongly to certain ideals and to ideas about who people are. Every person is a reflection of you and while you may not be romantically compatible you may find value in relationships/friendships with these people and can actually learn something.

Last edited:
Reactions: barbad0s and Rcs6r
lol you're 24 years old. Most women AND men in your age bracket are ignorant and are bitches. BOTH men and women. I don't think I've ever seen one single example of anyone in their early 20's who had a solid head on their shoulders and who was all that wise or worldly. I remember being 24 and thinking I had everything figured out and I had all this intelligence and great skills and the whole bit. I was an idiot. In five years I guarantee you will think your 24 year old self was an idiot, too.

I wouldn't be so dismissive of most women. The problem with women is that they fall to social dynamics. It's their nature. Even if they aren't conditioned into certain behaviours the moment they become intertwined with groups of females that exhibit certain behaviours they'll take it on. Chances are that on an individual basis most women aren't all that bad or ignorant. Put them with a group of their girlfriends and their entire personality can change. Welcome to women before the age of 30.

I find that ignorance or bitchiness is more of a stress response that comes out of people when they have not yet learned to stand on their own two feet. I find men can go through the same things and I think it makes dating anyone seriously before the age of 30 to be very difficult. There's so much social pressure placed on both sexes that it can be hard to get past the exterior and sort out what the person is like on the inside. I can't say that I am all that fond of the hive mentality that both sexes tend to fall under but it's just something that happens. It's nature. It's how they're biologically wired. Don't ever assume that these people can't grow into self actualized people.

Maybe it's that you are one of the rare few who knows a thing or two at your age and you tend to operate on a different wavelength than most. You have your own shit with your personality that you have to sort out. Maybe most people won't be attracted to you because of that. It's just unfair to adhere so strongly to certain ideals and to ideas about who people are. Every person is a reflection of you and while you may not be romantically compatible you may find value in relationships/friendships with these people and can actually learn something.

I agree 100%. But also those early attempted or failed relationships end up becoming the benchmark of lessons learned about relationships. They suck while you go through the ups and downs but the experience will always prove valuable down the road.

[MENTION=10303]NK278[/MENTION] [MENTION=9054]BrightWhiteHeart[/MENTION] [MENTION=10399]ODyssey[/MENTION] [MENTION=10252]say what[/MENTION] [MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION] [MENTION=10166]DonTaushMe[/MENTION] [MENTION=1669]Framed[/MENTION] [MENTION=10171]Isabella[/MENTION] [MENTION=7838]SpecialEdition[/MENTION] [MENTION=884]solongotgon[/MENTION]
Thank you all for your advice and encouragement! It is much appreciated and helped a lot. :)