Relationship of the Functions | INFJ Forum

Relationship of the Functions

Paladin-X

Permanent Fixture
May 2, 2012
MBTI
XXXX
So I was reading a little more into the functions asa Jung had described them. The functions are not so independent of each other. The auxiliary function exists primarily to support the dominant function. It explains the difference between, for example, an INFJ and an ENFJ, moreso than just assuming one is more introverted/extraverted than the other; or that one uses more/less intuition, etc.

The resulting combinations present the familiar picture of, for instance, practical thinking allied with sensation, speculative thinking forging ahead with intuition, artistic intuition selecting and presenting its images with the help of feeling-values, philosophical intuition systematizing its vision into comprehensive thought by means of a powerful intellect, and son.

In an INFJ, Fe exists to support Ni's vision. In an ENFJ, Ni exists to support Fe's will to care for others.

Furthermore, the inferior function plays a supporting role for the tertiary.

I believe that an INFJ then switches between Ni+Fe (INFJ) primary mode and Ti+Se (ISTP) secondary mode, depending on whether they are in an irrational or rational mindset. Because Fe is assisting an irrational function, it is therefore not providing a completely rational decision making function, for it is bent to the will of the internal vision. This may create some internal dissonance when trying to resort to rational decision-making, relying upon practical thinking is available, but is far less developed than the primary function pair. The relationship between the pairs is that the secondary mode also exists, somewhat unconsciously to fulfill the needs of the primary pair. If Ni+Fe provides the vision and desire to fulfill it, the secondary pair provides the almost automated will to see it through to reality.

An INFP however, is very rational, with Ne playing a support role to Fi. Fi uses Ne to see the possibilities in making their values a reality. An INFP's irrational mode of operation is Si+Te (ISTJ). It uses external facts/logic/rules to make the familiar and experiential perceptions a reality. Fi uses Ne to see the possibilities to bring their values to reality and uses the experience and external drive of Si+Te to see them through.

IJs and EPs operate more passive/reactive; IPs and EJs operate more active/proactive.

Addendum:

Rational-A judgment oriented procedure in regards to acquisition of knowledge. Tantamount to judgment. Thinking and Feeling are considered Rational functions. One may think that only Thinking should be considered rational, and this is indeed the case from the colloquial linguistic perspective. Yet Jung considers Feeling to also be a rational function because Feeling is the conscious scrutiny of personal values and emotions. Essentially it is perfectly analogous to the kind of conscious scrutiny Thinking does to impersonal data.

Irrational-A perception oriented approach to knowledge, one that seeks to provide no rational. Irrational, in the Jungian sense of the word does not mean contrary to reason, but rather one that does not directly rely on 'judgment' for assessment of the situation. Thus hunches and impulses constitute such irrational faculties, despite that a rational explanation could be found for discoveries made by hunches and intuitions.

Last edited:
Reactions: grt$5vb
You are heading in a good direction. Always nice to see when people get to the core of it all :)
I must disagree with you that Ni is an irrational mindset, Ni is our worldview it is constructed out of pure natural law as we know it. What can but often isn't irrational, is one's natural law. Judgement however, if not based upon the right Perception is completely irrational, only Perceiving lead are actively conscious over perception (That, what it all turns around!) thus I would argue them to be rational. I would argue a well developed INFJ to be the most rational personality type (and I've done my research).

In the INFJ Ni-Fe is always directed by Ti and often so Ti is better developed than our Fe. This doesn't mean it is further developed, as our Ti judges our Ni-Fe, Fe by default is greater, but Fe can be dedicated in an non-usage fiction. This also can cause a suppressive relationship between the two, many INFJs suppress their Fe so immensely that they would feel more like an INTP.

I also note that you fully split Directive (In the INFJ this is NiFe) and Adaptive (In the INFJ this is TiSe) functional pairs. This distinction can be made for various reasons, but when we look how the functions work in the functional stack, that distinction can't be made as black and white. In the INFJ, the Ni and Fe combination can produce a lot such as it could work as a reality/Natural Law Simulator. While this Simulator is active though, Ti must be there for discernment. And Se must be active because if something sudden happens in reality, we have to be able to break out of this simulator. TiSe analyzes the Simulator if it is practically possible (The Simulator works on Natural Law, but doesn't take the current economic environment etc into account). So in fact, we use all our functions in 1 thought process.

IJs and EPs operate more passive/reactive; IPs and EJs operate more active/proactive.
I would argue this to be false as well. Being perceiving lead, doesn't mean you are less active. Nor is your brain less active, Ni is the most heavy brain process there is. Ti can be observed by the subject itself to be more proactive because it often so is more conscious than for instance Ni, but that only is, because Ni contains our whole worldview, it is a to heavy process for our consciousness to handle.

What I'm going to say now is not as black and white as I portray it to be, but the difference is there.
Judgment lead make judgment before they understand it to then understand it, which IMO is very irrational.
Perceiving lead allow a certain perspective to develop and will allow a concept until it is understood, then it will judge it, which IMO is very if not utmost rational.

Furthermore, the inferior function plays a supporting role for the tertiary.
Sure it does, but it is not limited by that. For instance: The inferior function is a function the subject wants to 'ace'. "I don't use it, but when I do, I make sure I'm damn good at it."
Inferior function is necessary just like any other function is necessary, it is not that it is a supportive function. It is a function.
It is not defined to be supporting the tertiary function, it is like any other function which is to be supporting the dominant function (Period).

And no offense, but you ought to get more experience to be making calls on which type is most rational etc. Those are strong projections. It is like Hitler, saying a specific human is superior. You shouldn't do that :D
And don't fall in love with Jung, he was a Genius. But didn't quite know much about how the functions relate. His theories are incomplete.

I believe that an INFJ then switches between Ni+Fe (INFJ) primary mode and Ti+Se (ISTP) secondary mode, depending on whether they are in an irrational or rational mindset.
In your/Jung's definition of irrational and rational... Fe is not irrational, It is a rational function just like Ti. Irrational and Rational are meaningless words unless you fully explain the context of it.

If something is unclear or if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

-Jah

Last edited:
my reaction to this:
surprisedCat.jpg

that awkward moment when you don't understand where it's all leading. :redface: I'm Ada's feeling of confusion.

I agree. Often, I'll read a description of Te which I don't identify with at all. However, when I read a description of Ni-Te, it clicks with me immediately.

Reactions: Paladin-X
You are heading in a good direction. Always nice to see when people get to the core of it all :)
I must disagree with you that Ni is an irrational mindset, Ni is our worldview it is constructed out of pure natural law as we know it. What can but often isn't irrational, is one's natural law. Judgement however, if not based upon the right Perception is completely irrational, only Perceiving lead are actively conscious over perception (That, what it all turns around!) thus I would argue them to be rational. I would argue a well developed INFJ to be the most rational personality type (and I've done my research).

Perceiving functions have no reasoning ability and are thus irrational; ergo Ni is irrational. I think you are confusing my usage of the word as a simple adjective, with an over-arching personality trait or judgement of character.

In the INFJ Ni-Fe is always directed by Ti and often so Ti is better developed than our Fe. This doesn't mean it is further developed, as our Ti judges our Ni-Fe, Fe by default is greater, but Fe can be dedicated in an non-usage fiction. This also can cause a suppressive relationship between the two, many INFJs suppress their Fe so immensely that they would feel more like an INTP.

I am not sure I understand the point of this argument. Think of the image of Yin and Yang. White is Ni with a black Fe dot. Black is Ti with a white Se dot. This is how I see the function stack. If that makes any sense.

I also note that you fully split Directive (In the INFJ this is NiFe) and Adaptive (In the INFJ this is TiSe) functional pairs. This distinction can be made for various reasons, but when we look how the functions work in the functional stack, that distinction can't be made as black and white. In the INFJ, the Ni and Fe combination can produce a lot such as it could work as a reality/Natural Law Simulator. While this Simulator is active though, Ti must be there for discernment. And Se must be active because if something sudden happens in reality, we have to be able to break out of this simulator. TiSe analyzes the Simulator if it is practically possible (The Simulator works on Natural Law, but doesn't take the current economic environment etc into account). So in fact, we use all our functions in 1 thought process.

I don't understand the point of this argument either.

I would argue this to be false as well. Being perceiving lead, doesn't mean you are less active. Nor is your brain less active, Ni is the most heavy brain process there is. Ti can be observed by the subject itself to be more proactive because it often so is more conscious than for instance Ni, but that only is, because Ni contains our whole worldview, it is a to heavy process for our consciousness to handle.

I can see how this could be interpreted differently than I intended. My bad. Let me clarify, I mean passive/active in the sense that you've mentioned of directive/adaptive. Ni+Fe in an INFJ does not actively seek, it passively absorbs/observes and Fe reacts to what it sees (adaptive) and Ti+Se is that it actively seeks based on a proactive decision (directive).

What I'm going to say now is not as black and white as I portray it to be, but the difference is there.
Judgment lead make judgment before they understand it to then understand it, which IMO is very irrational.
Perceiving lead allow a certain perspective to develop and will allow a concept until it is understood, then it will judge it, which IMO is very if not utmost rational.

I agree with this, to a degree. To achieve that rationality though requires balance of Ni+Fe with Ti+Se, in my perspective.

Sure it does, but it is not limited by that. For instance: The inferior function is a function the subject wants to 'ace'. "I don't use it, but when I do, I make sure I'm damn good at it."
Inferior function is necessary just like any other function is necessary, it is not that it is a supportive function. It is a function.
It is not defined to be supporting the tertiary function, it is like any other function which is to be supporting the dominant function (Period).

Well you said 'Period' you must be right. :p Can you please elaborate your reasoning behind this? I see the functional stack in a swirly ball. I see the functions, as all being connected.

And no offense, but you ought to get more experience to be making calls on which type is most rational etc. Those are strong projections. It is like Hitler, saying a specific human is superior. You shouldn't do that :D
And don't fall in love with Jung, he was a Genius. But didn't quite know much about how the functions relate. His theories are incomplete.

In your/Jung's definition of irrational and rational... Fe is not irrational, It is a rational function just like Ti. Irrational and Rational are meaningless words unless you fully explain the context of it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You are making some pretty wild jumps to conclusions. That sounds pretty irrational to me. NOTE: Now I'm making a judgement of character. :p

Neither I, nor Jung have said that Fe is irrational.

If something is unclear or if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

No offense bud, but you should heed your own suggestion here. If my use of rational/irrational was unclear, then you could have asked instead of making wild comparisons to Hitler.

Sigh. ... Well then, for your sake. Let me clarify every f#%king thing.
Perceiving functions have no reasoning ability and are thus irrational; ergo Ni is irrational.
Let's zoom in on Ni for an instance. Ni is completely build on natural law, it is, natural law itself! Ni is 1 HUGE ass reasoning machine... It asks itself:"What happens if this? What if this does that? How about this? What is the reasoning behind it? How will this be perceived by x? How was it done? Why was it done as it was done?" And it asks all those questions and more within a matter of 1 second. So the reasoning you gave this time for why Ni is irrational is invalid, you could go ahead and clarify to bend your perception to fit your own truth, but there is no truth in what you are saying. Sure you could come up with an argument as to why Ni is irrational and please do. I will be happy to defy you with EASE. (Yes it is arguable that Ni is irrational, but when you do, please make some sense. And even then, I will be glad to defy you.)

I think you are confusing my usage of the word as a simple adjective, with an over-arching personality trait or judgement of character.
Don't be so hypocritical and start making sense.

Ni+Fe in an INFJ does not actively seek, it passively absorbs/observes and Fe reacts to what it sees (adaptive) and Ti+Se is that it actively seeks based on a proactive decision (directive).
Dude... This is rather nonsense, as is quite much of what you think. But that's fine, you'll get there. Pi (Ni and Si) and Je (Fe and Te) are DIRECTIVE functions. Ji (Ti and Fi) and Pe (Se and Ne) are ADAPTIVE functions.

Well you said 'Period' you must be right. :p Can you please elaborate your reasoning behind this? I see the functional stack in a swirly ball. I see the functions, as all being connected.
This is basic knowledge, I can't elaborate as it will require me to write a book. If you have a more specific question, I'd be glad to answer.

Neither I, nor Jung have said that Fe is irrational.
This is what you've said: "depending on whether they are in an irrational or rational mindset."
Of course that upsets me, it makes no sense!

Oh and BTW. You could better lower yourself because I am one of the few that actually know the core, truth and applications of Typology. Your pride will get you nowhere.

-Jah

Last edited:
Hahaha! Ok well I can see that I seem to have struck a nerve. So we'll just have to agree to disagree... or not. I'm stepping away from our discussion. You should seriously, chill the fuck out. :p

[MENTION=5437]Paladin-X[/MENTION] Is this what you were saying?

Introverted Intuition alone manifests to the psyche in the form of amorphous hunches. Such a vision by itself is a phantasmagoria. Without order or due sequence or a sense of self-consciousness, but it is simply no more than amorphous, hunches that not even the INJ himself knows what are about. Application of Extroverted Feeling, the rational or conscious function to such visions leads to the objectification of the Intuition. This however is a much lesser step towards such an accomplishment than application of Extroverted Thinking to the visions. In this respect, the INFJ is left with much more work to do than the INTJ. That is the case because Extroverted Feeling only gives meaning to the stored hunches to the extent that they relate to their personal world and the world of people. However, in regards to dealing with most of the world, this faculty remains inadequate as impersonal judgment will be necessary for that. In order to achieve this, the INFJ shall go to the next best thing, the tertiary Introverted Thinking faculty. This is where the vision becomes a notion that the INFJ becomes clearly aware of. Without the support of Introverted Thinking, the INFJ will have a very strong hunch and a feeling in favor of their perceptions, but will not be able to certify that their ideas are sound as they’d lack the objective means to prove that. Once Introverted Thinking has been properly applied, the vision of the INFJ will not be an unintelligible flow of perceptions, but is an entity shaped in coherent and intelligible units of ideas. Introverted Thinking by and large is first and foremost used to support the vision of the Introverted Intuition and the Feeling oriented goals of the INFJ. The INFJ differs from the INTJ in the primary regard that establishment of objectivity of views is seen as more of means to the end of establishing sound values and less as an end in itself. Whereas for the INTJ the auxiliary faculty may hold autonomy in its own right, as it suffices to accurately depict the external world, for the INFJ, the Fe and Ti must be used interchangeably. Extroverted Feeling, most of all ties the INFJ to the convention or the external protocol of thought and action. Since the INFJ is primarily concerned with their inner vision, yet rely on Extroverted Feeling to make conscious assessments of their ideas, they tend to be most concerned with emending the external code of behavior. Their approach to Extroverted Feeling is not at all like that of SFJs who strive to preserve status quo. INFJs tend to have a highly innovative approach to ethic and on this account are not afraid to question the current set of mores and societal ethics. By contrast they take for it to be their primary task to influence the ethical convention to become as humane as possible. The INFJ much differs from the ENFJ in the regard that the former is much more individualistic than the latter. The ENFJ sees himself as part of the external ethical convention, yet the INFJ sees the ethical convention as means to the end of concocting the best vision possible. On this account, the INFJ strives to meet the external standard of ethic to the end of furthering his vision and will not feel gratified after having met the standard alone. Behaving as dominant Fe types would, or seeing the external standard of ethic as an end in itself goes against the grain of the INFJ, in this regard the INFJ holds more in common with the INFP.

The central goal of Introverted Intuition is to concoct one’s personal vision out of which the inner life of the subject shall spring and guide the external behavior of the individual representing the type. As before we have noticed, the central focus is on the individual, yet the Extroverted Judgment aspect of the INFJ’s psyche is primarily focused on society and externalization of the vision. This appears to be an inconsistency. To resolve this, we should maintain that the INFJ seeks to pass down the vision to the individual, and the vision itself is about how one should deal with the external realm. Yet, despite the external focus, the external behavior for the INFJ, stems from the inner motives and hunches. Even though the External standard may be the only way for the INFJ to properly assess his actions, the decisions made by virtue of the external standard will not be acceptable to the INFJ unless they align with the voice of Introverted Intuition and hunches.
Clearly, the INFJ sees the satisfaction of the external standard as only means to the end and not an end in itself as it is for the typical Judging types. The true end for the INTJ is emendation of the vision to the point of a satisfactory hunch. Paradoxically, such an end is not possible. This, however, is indeed possible for the Extroverted perceivers who oriented around practical goals in the external world, as the famous ENTP Walt Disney once uttered–if you can imagine it you can do it, as indeed most of the visions of the ENTP do come true. Yet the INFJ would likely attribute such a possibility to the poverty of the imagination of the ENTP, as their visions are much more complex and more original than those of the Extroverted perceivers. As a faculty of introversion, Introverted Intuition needs much less external stimuli and the visions it conjures are much less relevant to the external world than those produced by the ENPs. Because of the extremely abstract nature of the Introverted Intuition, properly assessing such a vision as it is possible for the ENPs is out of the question for INJs. This leads to further internal conflict for the INFJ as their Judgment oriented mindset vehemently insists on meeting concrete external agenda which is ostensible to all–one that has a beginning and an end. This is manifestly impossible for the INFJ because the vision in itself takes on the other world, continuously flowing aura. It certainly does not appear to have a beginning nor an end and a sober thinker must deem the mere idea of pigeonholing such a grandiose vision into simplistic conventional moulds that the Extroverted Judgment insists on employing inadequate. Accomplishing this for the INFJ is even more difficult than for the INTJ as the INFJ is not exactly sure what the external standard must be like due to the lack of objectivity of their auxiliary faculty.

Incidentally, Introverted Intuition reaches for the heavens that not a word of ours could describe, yet Extroverted Judgment of the INJ refuses to recognize any notion that cannot be properly depicted in conventional terms as substantial. Thus, the Feeling of the INFJ promptly declines the vision, and to make matters worse, the negative Ti sends them down the loop of self-denigration and dismissal of their lofty visions. This is the nature of the INFJs, negative, self-critical Introverted Thinking faculty. Because this function is aimed inwards, it is particularly focused on dissecting the visions propounded by the Introverted Intuition. When not properly handled the Introverted Thinking could appear to be nearly an anathema to the primary faculty of the INFJ, the Introverted Intuition.

The Extroverted Judgment would insist on repudiation of such ideas, yet the Introverted Intuition is far from complying and as a rule demonstrates its preponderous superiority over its Externally judicious proponent. Even though Extroverted Feeling of the INFJ would have long asserted the vision should be dismissed because it is not relevant to a clear-cut external agenda, the vision continues to be the primary driving force of the INJ, and rarely hesitates to do different or the opposite from what the Extroverted Judgment prescribes. The INTJ may maintain a cool and unperturbed demeanor despite the inner chaos, yet all the INFJ has for consolations is their orderly and systematic approach to the external world offered by their Extroverted Judgment. However, this does not provide the INFJ with the consolation of objective and rational thought that the INTJ relies on heavily. This only exacerbates many problems the INFJ is forced to deal with as a result of their chaotic inner vision. Clearly, the INFJ is in need of a savior, there needs to be a higher purpose, yet even this is not accessible to this type because of the negative and self-critical nature of Introverted Thinking. The vision of the INFJ insists on depth and authenticity, yet the standard of Extroverted Judgment is inadequate for this as it is much too rigid and superficial. Introverted Judgment is necessary in order for the INFJ to find the inner peace and stability introverted Intuition longs for. Moreover, since Extroverted Feeling could also go corrupt very easily if the INFJ is to be unbalanced, in such a case this type will be almost wholly without judgment and rely on extremely abstract, amorphous hunches that are nearly impossible for one to make sense of. Introverted Perception is primarily concerned with how the environment relates to the self as before mentioned, yet unlike Extroverted perception confronts immense difficulty in interacting with the world. Extroverted Feeling does well to interact with the personal and interpersonal in the world, yet unlike Extroverted Thinking comes up less than adequate when dealing with impersonal matters. When the INFJ is out of tune with the auxiliary faculty, he may be stuck deeply within his head with no sound way of engaging the external world. Moreover, the nature of Introverted Intuition tends to have a hostile approach to the external world, in a fashion much similar to how Introverted attitudes tend to see the external world in a negative light. Incidentally, the INFJ applies such an attitude to external perception, this often leads to conspiracy theories as such an attitude prompts one to believe that the external environment antagonizes the subject. The fearful and negative attitude stemming from the under-developed Thinking also contributes to this stern outlook on life. Such a perspective was best embodied in Arthur Schopenhauer’s misanthropic worldview where the Will to live is deemed to be the root of all evil. What other problems befall our protagonist here? Cultivation of Extroverted Feeling is necessary for the INFJ to be balanced and sound. However, in order to engage Extroverted Feeling the INFJ must engage the external world. This is anathema to such a type as interacting with the external environment tends to be difficult and painful due to lack of attunement with the inferior Extroverted Perception. Because the INFJ is unable to interact with the external environment, he is not able to properly access Extroverted Feeling and receive the much needed emotional support and ingredients for balance. The more cut off the INFJ becomes from the External world and Extroverted Feeling, the more he looses touch with conscious judgment and is swept away by the amorphous perceptions that overwhelm him. He lives in reality of his own, almost wholly bereft of that outside of him. The anthropomorphic and mythological tendencies here are reinforced by the malfunctioning Extroverted Feeling which now merely caters to the whims of the INFJ’S Introverted Intuition.

“His language is not the one currently spoken---it has become too subjective. His arguments lack the convincing power of reason. He can only profess of proclaim His is “the voice of one crying in the wilderness.”

What ought to be done about this dilemma? Clearly, emendation of Extroversion and most notably Extroverted Judgment is necessary. We know that in order for the INFJ to properly reach Introverted Thinking, Extroverted Feeling must be accessed.

In order to find contentment with his inner life, the INFJ must learn to let go off the External world and the External benchmarks that he is tied down to. Yet this he cannot do because in order to do any kind of conscious Thinking, he must rely on the Extroverted Judgment which insists on doing just the opposite of this. Or adapting the external standard as the primary method of self-assessment. In order for the INFJ to master Introverted Judgment or learn to be devoid of external standard, paradoxically, he must first master Extroverted Judgment.

The Introverted nature of perception of the INFJ insists on the fundamentality of the environment to the inner being of the INFJ. Hence, the INFJ is unlikely to be able to imagine his inner life without any relation to the external environment. There must be an environment for the INFJ to envision and very often it is one of make belief, where the INFJ has conjured a world of its own. Such an egocentric attitude is often implicit in the mindsets of unhealthy and unbalanced INFJs–this, without a doubt, in combination with Extroverted Judgment that is notorious for such behavior–compels them to control the external world by all means necessary. Yet, unlike their ENFJ cousins, the INFJs often lack the external resources to be successful at such an endeavor and resign themselves to the mercy of their blind and restless internal vision. In this position they likely have convinced themselves that the world is as chaotic as their inner life because of their inability to control it. Moreover, the projective nature of Extroverted Feeling easily leads the INFJ to succumb to such tendencies of thought. Yet, they must learn that in order to overcome their problem of dissatisfaction with their inner life, they must stop seeking for external accomplishments that shall satisfy them, but instead aim for the inner, perennial pursuits that could go side by side with their vision that requires no beginning and no end. If the INFJ does not accomplish this, the only consolation he will have is simply being understood and approved of by others. Yet he cannot be fulfilled in this regard as the vision is much too lofty to befit the Fe standards imposed upon him. There needs to be an unended quest to remedy this dilemma!

This noble truth was fully realized in Camus’ Myth of Sisyphus where the protagonist, much antagonistically to the INFJ over-achieving spirit, finds satisfaction not in rolling the boulder up the hill and ensuring that it stays there, but in the activity itself of rolling the boulder up and down the hill. Hence, he has found meaning in life because he has elected a perennial task, one that could truly satisfy the agenda of the vision of his inner intuition. This process once again is rendered difficult to achieve due to the concrete and externally focused of their primary conscious function–the Extroverted Feeling. The INFJ for this reason, despite his radically individualistic mindset, unlike the INP does not subscribe to the attitude of concocting his worldview strictly for himself with no wish to impose it on any other individual. Instead, he deems for his radically subjective and individualistic vision to be one that others should embrace, and often deems for the vision to be a failure because it has not succeeded by the external standards. Despite how much the hunches of the Introverted Intuition may remonstrate, this is indeed the case with the Extroverted Feeling. Unlike the Extroverted Thinking and the INTJ, the INFJ will be disinclined to impose the vision by brute force, yet very much will wish for others to embrace their ideas. The INFJ will try to coax others into embracing their vision instead. The INFJ would render himself a service by reminding himself that the acquisition of success by external standards is never an end in itself but means to the end. Essentially, this is only part and parcel of coming to terms with the vision of the Introverted Intuition which insists on concrete, external manifestations. However, in the beginning of his quest, the INFJ will be forced to pursue success by external standards in order to make his introverted judgment accessible. But after he has accomplished this, he will be on his way to attunement with his inner interests and will see them as an end in themselves. At that point he will have a coherent sense of self which is founded not upon mystical and amorphous hunches, but on a clearly outlined perspective. How this shall happen and what the INFJ must accomplish in order to make this happen shall be the subject matter for our next discussion in the next section.

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/235-MBTI-SolitaryWalker-s-NF-Profiles

This is what I am referring to:

The Principal and Auxiliary Functions

In the foregoing descriptions I have no desire to give my readers the impression that these types occur at all frequently in such pure form in actual life. They are, as it were, only Galtonesque family portraits, which single out the common and therefore typical features, stressing them disproportionately, while the individual features are just as disproportionately effaced. Closer investigation shows with great regularity that, besides the most differentiated function, another, less differentiated function of secondary importance is invariably present in consciousness and exerts a co-determining influence.

To recapitulate for the sake of clarity: the products of all functions can be conscious, but we speak of the "consciousness" of a function only when its use is under the control of the will and, at the same time, its governing principle is the decisive one for the orientation of consciousness. This is true when, for instance, thinking is not a mere afterthought, or rumination, and when its conclusions possess an absolute validity, so that the logical result holds good both as a motive and as a guarantee of practical action without the backing of any further evidence. This absolute sovereignty always belongs, empirically, to one function alone, and can belong only to one function, because the equally independent intervention of another function would necessarily produce a different orientation which, partially at least, would contradict the first. But since it is a vital condition for the conscious process of adaptation always to have clear and unambiguous aims, the presence of a second function of equal power is naturally ruled out. This other function, therefore, can have only a secondary importance, as has been found to be the case in practice. Its secondary importance is due to the fact that it is not, like the primary function valid in its own right as an absolutely reliable and decisive factor, but comes into play more as an auxiliary or complementary function. Naturally only those functions can appear as auxiliary whose nature is not opposed to the dominant function. For instance, feeling can never act as the second function alongside thinking, because it is by its very nature too strongly opposed to thinking. Thinking, if it is to be real thinking and true to its own principle, must rigorously exclude feeling. This, of course, does not do away with the fact that there are individuals whose thinking and feeling are on the same level, both being of equal motive power for consciousness. But in these cases there is also no question of a differentiated type, but merely of relatively undeveloped thinking and feeling. The uniformly conscious or uniformly unconscious state of the functions is, therefore, the mark of a primitive mentality.

Experience shows that the secondary function is always one whose nature is different from, though not antagonistic to, the primary function. Thus, thinking as the primary function can readily pair with intuition as the auxiliary, or indeed equally well with sensation, but, as already observed, never with feeling. Neither intuition nor sensation is antagonistic to thinking; they need not be absolutely excluded, for they are not of a nature equal and opposite to thinking, as feeling is--which, as a judging function, successfully competes with thinking--but are functions of perception, affording welcome assistance to thought. But as soon as they reached the same level of differentiation as thinking, they would bring about a change of attitude which would contradict the whole trend of thinking. They would change the judging attitude into a perceiving one; whereupon the principle of rationality indispensable to thought would be suppressed in favour of the irrationality of perception. Hence the auxiliary function is possible and useful only in so far as it serves the dominant function, without making any claim to the autonomy of its own principle.

For all the types met with in practice, the rule holds good that besides the conscious, primary function there is a relatively unconscious, auxiliary function which is in every respect different from the nature of the primary function. The resulting combinations present the familiar picture of, for instance, practical thinking allied with sensation, speculative thinking forging ahead with intuition, artistic intuition selecting and presenting its images with the help of feeling-values, philosophical intuition systematizing its vision into comprehensible thought by means of a powerful intellect, and so on.

The unconscious functions likewise group themselves in patterns correlated with the conscious ones. Thus, the correlative of conscious, practical thinking may be an unconscious, intuitive-feeling attitude, with feeling under a stronger inhibition than intuition. These peculiarities are of interest only for one who is concerned with the practical treatment of such cases, but it is important that he should know about them. I have frequently observed how an analyst, confronted with a terrific thinking type, for instance, will do his utmost to develop the feeling function directly out of the unconscious. Such as an attempt is foredoomed to failure, because it involves too great a violation of the conscious standpoint. Should the violation nevertheless be successful, a really compulsive dependence of the patient on the analyst ensues, a transference that can only be brutally terminated, because, having been left without a standpoint, the patient has made his standpoint the analyst. But the approach to the unconscious and to the most repressed function is disclosed, as it were, of its own accord, and with adequate protection of the conscious standpoint, when the way of development proceeds via the auxiliary function--in the case of a rational type via one of the irrational functions. This gives the patient a broader view of what is happening, and of what is possible, so that his consciousness is sufficiently protected against the inroads of the unconscious. Conversely, in order to cushion the impact of the unconscious, an irrational type needs a stronger development of the rational auxiliary function present in consciousness.

The unconscious functions exist in an archaic, animal state. Hence their symbolic appearance in dreams and fantasies is usually represented as the battle or encounter between two animals or monsters.

--Carl Jung, Portable Jung, edited by Joseph Campbell, p266-269.

I'm going to have to read through that more carefully later, [MENTION=5821]Kessler[/MENTION]. It looks intriguing. Thanks!!

Sigh. ... Well then, for your sake. Let me clarify every f#%king thing.

Let's zoom in on Ni for an instance. Ni is completely build on natural law, it is, natural law itself! Ni is 1 HUGE ass reasoning machine... It asks itself:"What happens if this? What if this does that? How about this? What is the reasoning behind it? How will this be perceived by x? How was it done? Why was it done as it was done?" And it asks all those questions and more within a matter of 1 second. So the reasoning you gave this time for why Ni is irrational is invalid, you could go ahead and clarify to bend your perception to fit your own truth, but there is no truth in what you are saying. Sure you could come up with an argument as to why Ni is irrational and please do. I will be happy to defy you with EASE. (Yes it is arguable that Ni is irrational, but when you do, please make some sense. And even then, I will be glad to defy you.)

Don't be so hypocritical and start making sense.

Dude... This is rather nonsense, as is quite much of what you think. But that's fine, you'll get there. Pi (Ni and Si) and Je (Fe and Te) are DIRECTIVE functions. Ji (Ti and Fi) and Pe (Se and Ne) are ADAPTIVE functions.

This is basic knowledge, I can't elaborate as it will require me to write a book. If you have a more specific question, I'd be glad to answer.

This is what you've said: "depending on whether they are in an irrational or rational mindset."
Of course that upsets me, it makes no sense!

Oh and BTW. You could better lower yourself because I am one of the few that actually know the core, truth and applications of Typology. Your pride will get you nowhere.

-Jah

psycho alert