reinventing the self | INFJ Forum

reinventing the self

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, have you gone through periods of reinventing yourself? How did you usually go about it? How did it change you or how did it change things for you?

Reactions: Quiet
I regenerate all the time, whenever I recognize I'm stagnating or in a crisis.

The Scorpio, supposedly, is the only sign to have three "totems" of evolution: the scorpion, the eagle, and the phoenix.
I imagine what I need to do and be to overcome and I become that. I do it after break ups when I feel utterly alone--I have to become my own partner and friend, I have to transform from self-pitying to self-healing..
I do it when I'm destitute, I become strong and industrious to lift myself back up.
I do it after set backs, I imagine myself positively and in a positive place and work towards that--I transform my thinking to become optimistic.
And other situations which aren't necessary to mention.

I sort of zero in on my weakness and how it is holding me back in those moments of crisis, and then work to overcome it, rather than accept it and be defeated.
It's not very easy to explain, I envision myself as the hero of my own story (cheesy, I know) and then I become that.
I think it works out because instead of getting down on myself and just wallowing in guilt and shame, I work to forgive myself and learn from mistakes--and look at failures as opportunities for new beginnings.
As a result, I feel like every set back and heart break makes me a stronger and more positive person.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how successful I've been at reinventing myself. I've tried over the years to do a change out. Meaning, to put aside or throw out old habits or attitudes which are preventing me from achieving some sense of peace. Usually happens at moments of emotional crisis where I realize that things are not progressing or gelling together or I'm not handling things as well as I think I should. At this point, I take some time off to separate myself from the world by withdrawing, introspecting or just thawing out, reenergize, rediscover me, and then figure out what that means in terms of dealing with the everyday world. When I have that time for myself, I often feel more comfortable taking new approaches to things, while learning how to get over hanging on to old perceptions which were paralyzing.

Last edited:
"The self is not something you find, it is something you create"
"It's not enough to be the author of who you are, you must be the editor"

..are mottoes I live by. I don't know about reinventing, because that means you'd have to erase the previous version and start over and I don't think that's entirely possible, but I do believe the Self is a constant work in progress. As long as you're alive, you're constantly changing, adapting, and growing.

I think there is a general "sketch" that you're born with and sets you apart from your peers, an essence of some sort, but as you advance in life and grow, you fill in the blanks over and over again as required.

I regenerate all the time, whenever I recognize I'm stagnating or in a crisis.

The Scorpio, supposedly, is the only sign to have three "totems" of evolution: the scorpion, the eagle, and the phoenix.
I imagine what I need to do and be to overcome and I become that. I do it after break ups when I feel utterly alone--I have to become my own partner and friend, I have to transform from self-pitying to self-healing..
I do it when I'm destitute, I become strong and industrious to lift myself back up.
I do it after set backs, I imagine myself positively and in a positive place and work towards that--I transform my thinking to become optimistic.
And other situations which aren't necessary to mention.

I sort of zero in on my weakness and how it is holding me back in those moments of crisis, and then work to overcome it, rather than accept it and be defeated.
It's not very easy to explain, I envision myself as the hero of my own story (cheesy, I know) and then I become that.
I think it works out because instead of getting down on myself and just wallowing in guilt and shame, I work to forgive myself and learn from mistakes--and look at failures as opportunities for new beginnings.
As a result, I feel like every set back and heart break makes me a stronger and more positive person.

This pretty much sums up this aspect of my life, minus the Scorpio bit.

I've changed so much I am quite literally unrecognizable in some respects.

I think that I constantly reinvent myself. From childhood I had plans for "improving" and growing. But more at inside.Yes, sometimes I feel as if I have luxury to constanly live change.

Last edited:
The first step for me is forgiving myself. I absolutely have to do this before I move on to anything else.

I work on realizing the past is just that and I can learn from it, but I don't have to dwell on it. Usually my need to reinvent myself result from a chain of mistakes I've made that have me looking at myself like "WTF did I just do?!"

I pray, meditate, chant a lot. I spend a lot of time alone and think about what it is I really want from myself, what I want to contribute to the world, what makes ME happy. I always look to an elder as a mentor, usually my father.

I'm kinda going through this now, and I went through a similar process when I first signed up here. This time around is a lot easier, and I think I will get better results.

Also, I know there is a template of me, my core self that wants to manifest itself, and it gets easier with time. I have to learn to remove the blocks that I am using to prevent myself from being that... and those blocks are usually a result of the people-pleasing part of myself. Work in progress....

I forgot where I heard this, but body and life changes every 7 years or something like that. Unconsciously you are reinventing yourself all the time, influenced by media, people, environment. We are adaptable creatures.

Conscious reinventing, I identify areas in my life that need changing and then through sheer willpower change them. This is very hard because we are also creatures of habit, and old habits die hard. Funny little story, I used to bite my nails a lot as a child, but was able to break that habit by staring at my hand before biting and going "NO!" and moving it away. Did that enough, haven't bit my nails since. Not sure if that's significant enough to be considered "reinventing," but it has changed a piece of me.