racial privilege | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

racial privilege

In the south in general, minorities are still disproportionately excluded from jury duty, discounting objective qualifications -- I think exclusion of minorities from criminal justice is particularly bad. And there are all of the wage differences, regardless of qualifications, that i posted above, which is a national average.
* I'm pretty sure the stats were controlled by region also, so the gap couldn't be explained by demographics of regions and pay difference between those regions on average.

Sorry for all the typing errors.

I have heard about the most qualified students being denied acceptance to top schools because there are only so many seats and they have to accept so many applicants from various backgrounds and minorities. I am pretty sure this program was put in place a long time ago when outward racism was prevalent and no effort was taken to disguise or hide it. Sounds like it had its place but not sure how appropriate it is today. Being white and male I am privileged and maybe unaware of the consequences. I don't experience them.
But I'm under the impression there is a zero tolerance for racism and profiling.
I'm sure I'm wrong and there are cases of it, but I am suspect it's more the exception than the rule. And so I think the law is inappropriate, but politically who would be on record for getting rid of something that protects minorities. So the disadvantage are the advantaged and they become the privileged.

I'm curious what your thoughts are about racial privilege? for those of you who are familiar with the term "white privilege", do you agree with the idea?

for those unfamiliar, white privilege is the idea that white persons experience (often invisible to them) privilege based on their skin colour that persons of other racial groups do not, and oftentimes at the cost of persons of other racial groups. because this privilege is one that is systematically inferred rather than actively sought, it often remains invisible to those who benefit from it but its effects are experienced by those who are denied said privilege.

I didn't attach a prefix to the thread because I'm not sure I'm entirely familiar with the definition of PAX vs. PUG. I'd like this to be both a discussion with people chiming in, and a space of peaceful dialogue in good ol' NF style. :)

I think people generally have some deference to others of their same race.

This does not imply racial privilege. It simply implies racial preference. If your race enjoys some relative privilege, then this racial deference will be a precised by members of other races as a racial privilege. However, if your race bears some disadvantage, then the racial deference you enjoy from your own race will not be perceived as racial privilege by others.

In other words, to say that there is such a thing as racial privilege is to say that when comparing races, some have advantages and some have disadvantages - which seems a racist thing to say.

It has existed since the founding of the United States. Historically racial privilege occurred during times of mass immigration. The new group becoming the "bottom" most poor working class, bumping up the existing citizens for more success (merchant stores, etc.)

-Pre-1775: European founding fathers (Dutch, British, Scotch-Irish, French, German, Swedes, Finns, etc)
-1800s: German (skilled workers) vs. Irish (unskilled workers)
-Late 1800s: mass immigration of Germans, Eastern Europeans and Irish (potato famine)
-1970s: African Americans (not immigration but equal rights)
-Present: Latinos

I would think that in my lifetime this theory (which was used by one of my history professors) will dissolve because the more "mixed" the United States becomes, the more it focuses on individuals rather than racial groups. Each person has the chance for education and success ... it is still just a bit more complicated for the later two.

In the US we have affirmative action. I'm thinking you know this. But it's supposed to ameliorate the inequality in applications. Many feel it works I'm reverse and that it globally disqualifies in some cases tge must qualified. Sounds like you have a similar problem and racism is alive and well.

Affirmative action has slapped mass corporations in the face because of reverse discrimination. Most are ironing out by way of lawsuit. Here is a perfect example of a white male dominated profession in 2007. United Airlines upheld a standard to meet racial quotas: http://www.adversity.net/united/default.htm How? By lowering a minority's qualifications to get the job.

As an example, UALs (United Airlines) requirements for pilots were 350 hours of total flight time with no captain or turbine time required, compared to Delta and NWA who required 1500 hours Captain time in a multi-engine turbine aircraft.

350 hours of total flight time is the equivalent of having the candy striper in the hospital conducting triple bypass surgery on a patient. I know a UAL 747 Captain that bid out of that aircraft due to the experience level of minorities bidding into that aircraft.