Quiet: The Power of Introverts - Ep1 | INFJ Forum

Quiet: The Power of Introverts - Ep1

Solongo

Mar 18, 2009
MBTI
INFJ all day
Below is a video montage of Quiet: The Power of Introverts by Susan Cain. It depicts the stereotypical view of introverts in an extroverted society. There are some good points that are accurate but I disagree with some notions; such as being a thinker makes you slow to react and make decisions, etc.

Discuss if the video is an accurate depiction of society's view of introverts and as introverts how we can dispel some of the myths that are seen as weaknesses in an extroverted society. Please refrain from deviating from the topic.

[video=youtube_share;Ar1kEN_ZPNM]http://youtu.be/Ar1kEN_ZPNM[/video]

Reactions: Motor Jax and muir
I read the book, I enjoyed it. My eldest girl is introverted and extra bright. I routinely lecture her teachers during parent teacher conferences that expecting all kids to behave as extraverts is unfair and unhealthy.

Reactions: Norton and muir
I read the book, I enjoyed it. My eldest girl is introverted and extra bright. I routinely lecture her teachers during parent teacher conferences that expecting all kids to behave as extraverts is unfair and unhealthy.

I can see myself doing the same thing for my kids :) So you are already fighting for the introverts!:m105:

I agree totally that society has created the 'extrovert ideal'

I used to drink to extrovert when i was younger to try and fit into that ideal. I wasn't being authentic and was never really happy during those times

As we get older it becomes easier to break free from peer pressure and to develop the self confidence to follow your own heart instead of trying to conform to the norms that are being rammed down your throat by society. learning about cognitive functions is a huge help also

I have no doubts about the existence of the phenomena of the extrovert ideal mentioned in the video. Its real and i've experienced it.

The big question is WHY the ideal exists.....its when asking that, that things start getting really interesting, imo

Reactions: Norton
I really don't care. I think it's kind of annoying to suggest that introverts are persecuted in an extrovert world..
If anything, the poor-me introvert whining just perpetuates the notion that extroverts dominate the world.... so all this huddling over the computer making youtube slide shows isn't helping the cause lol.

I don't think I have to be loud to be bold. I had an a creative writing teacher in school tell me I was, "Spunky in a quiet way." It's true.
There's a lot going on under the surface. I like to surprise! I am a total introvert...yet, I'm comfortable in the spot light--and I can give a speech or presentation with confidence--because at that point, it's not about me, it's about the material and I'm just a vessel conveying information.

If someone wants to think I'm weak because I'm quiet, that's their problem, and I guess they'll figure it out one way or another.

There is a difference between having social anxiety and not being able to leave the house or achieve goals and live a full life--that's a real problem...

Last edited:
Reactions: hush
I think that in order to function properly in this world, introverts are going to have to come to terms with the fact that they are going to need to share themselves and their thoughts when the situation calls for it, in the same way that extroverts must come to terms with the necessity of self-reflection and working on their own sometimes. Everybody has to learn to adjust a little bit.

I don't think there is necessarily a bias or extrovert ideal, except for the fact that extroverts are more likely to be bullies for it because they are usually more outgoing. The fact that it looks that way on the surface is a reflection of the fact that extroversion is an outside thing. There is just as much introverted power and presence going on in the world on its less obvious or less stimulating plane.

I really don't care. I think it's kind of annoying to suggest that introverts are persecuted in an extrovert world..
If anything, the poor-me introvert whining just perpetuates the notion that extroverts dominate the world.... so all this huddling over the computer making youtube slide shows isn't helping the cause lol.

I don't think I have to be loud to be bold. I had an a creative writing teacher in school tell me I was, "Spunky in a quiet way." It's true.
There's a lot going on under the surface. I like to surprise! I am a total introvert...yet, I'm comfortable in the spot light--and I can give a speech or presentation with confidence--because at that point, it's not about me, it's about the material and I'm just a vessel conveying information.

If someone wants to think I'm weak because I'm quiet, that's their problem, and I guess they'll figure it out one way or another.

There is a difference between having social anxiety and not being able to leave the house or achieve goals and live a full life--that's a real problem...

Love this whole post and totally agree with it as it applies to me personally, except for the spotlight thing. Also, I have an introvert child who, to the best of my knowledge, has never (yet) and hopefully never will experience teachers telling him he needs to come out of his shell more.

If they did, I probably would do exactly what Stu did and start lecturing them, or else I'd change teachers one way or another. But that hasn't happened, rather, his teachers praise him for the fact he is a voracious reader and has a good imagination and a passionate interest in rocks, greek mythology, knights, or whatever else he is intensely interested in. They really seem to love him despite his quietness. My little extrovert is also doing well, but he sometimes gets in trouble for talking too much or invading people's personal space. Therefore, I really am not sure I can agree 100% with the idea there is a huge bias against introversion. Some bias, maybe, in some fields, but not to the level of persecution, IMO.

Sadly there is a void of understanding in our society due to engineered ignorance

There most certainly IS a bias agaisnt introversion

Further to this it is part of a coherent policy formulated by people in power due to the influence of pervasive schools of thought such as the Frankfurt School

This group came out of nazi germany across to the US and was studying the psychology of society and of authority

After the second world war our leaders conducted the biggest psychological study the world had seen due to their concerns over a number of things. One concern was over how the vast majority of troops coming home unfit for service where not coming back due to physical injury but mental injury.

Of course the elites denied the various psychological effects of warfare on people for example denying 'shell shock' during WWI even going as far as shooting young lads (who had lied about their age to join up) for desertion

In the second wiorld war they denied the existence of post traumatic stress disorder and in the recent gulf war (the first one) they denied the existence of gulf war syndrome (caused by injections they gave to their troops)

So this psychological study was conducted and the elites tried to figure out the best way to keep control of society. They believed due to the work of Sigmund Freud that beneath the veneer of civilisation was a boiling mess of violence just waiting to burst out (on them in revolutionary form)

If you are interested in this please don't take my opinion on it. A very good documentary by BBC journalist Adam Curtis covers this; its called 'The Century of the Self' and you can watch it here:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-century-of-the-self/

The result of this huge study was the creation of a categorisation system called the DSM which lists whatever the elites deem to be a 'disorder'

The importantn thing to bare in mind is that the agenda of the elites is not to keep everyone healthy and happy (cos if it were they would share the wealth around) the agenda of the elite is to keep everyone down and themselves on top.

So if they see behaviours which they deem a threat to their control for example they see people protesting for better safety conditions at work then they can deem the behavioural traits of that person(s) a 'disorder' and this gives them the ability under their own laws to then lock up that person and medicate them to shut them up

An example of this occuring was when the authorities locked up the writer Ezra Pound because he was speaking out against the elite that is running the banking system. Whilst incarcerated Pound (who edited and assisted with the works of famous writers such as T.S.Eliot and Ernst Hemingway) commissioned a man called Eustice Mullins to look into who runs the Federal reserve bank and therefore who is exerting massive influence over the US economy

Mullins can be heard speaking on youtube

The people who are running the Federal Reserve are also controlling the education system and the psychiatric system as well. They created the DSM system of categorisation. if you doubt this then use the incredible resource that is the internet and research it for yourself. A good place to start would be the Rockefeller family (eg Rockefeller foundation, Rockefeller university, london school of economics, standard oil, chase manhatten bank etc etc)

One trait that the elites have found occurs often in the people (and leaders of movements) who challenge the system is INTROVERSION

They are deeply threatened by introversion

This is why they have sought to make introversion and the behavioural traits associated with it as negative or as 'disorders'. They recently tried to expand the DSM categorisation to count shyness as a mental illness: http://www.bps.org.uk/news/dsm-5-shyness-mental-illness

So why is this a problem?

The problem is that they are creating a system in which many introverts don't feel they can be themselves (it becomes easier with age to resists that)

Further to that it gives them wide powers to suppress dissent to their rule

Why changes to the law that undermine civil liberties are dangerous for freedom lovers is because even if there isn't a problem initially then there might be one as the situation changes. An example of this would be:

The recent NDAA which authorised the detention without trial and torture of US citiznes by the military. That might be ok at the moment but what happens if the elites then change labour laws and insist on a 14 hour working day without holidays (like they did in the industrial revolution)? When people protest against that they can be called 'terrorists' and locked up or they can be deemed to have a 'mental disorder' and can be silenced with detention and medication

The NDAA has been opposed in court by the US journalist and INTROVERT Chris Hedges, among others. It has been blocked by Judge Forrest otherwie it would have come into being

So when people say things like 'there's no bias against introverts' or 'that's just introvert whining' then ask them if they have ever heard of the Frankfurt School and what they are about.

Last edited:
Reactions: barbad0s
Hello Muir. Glad to see you are enjoying yourself today.

I'm always happy to help dispell ignorance and i'm very glad that you are now able to see what is really going on

i trust that in the light of this new evidence you won't try and keep humanity in the dark?

That's great that you found your comfort level as an INFJ. The same can't be said for younger INFJs who had just discovered their typology and trying to figure out how to cope with their functions. Most INFJs come from a whiny and insecure setting to begin with and come to journey into more developed understanding of themselves and their typology as they start to interact with other INFJs and participating in the forums such as this.

The video was created for awareness; not to support persecution and is necessary for non INFJs to understand the social context in which INFJs suffer or thrive in. Maybe next time an INFJ teen complains of not fitting in and not being recognized for their "quiet" talents to tell him to stop whining and to stop contributing to the persecution of introverts?

Reactions: Norton and muir
I'm always happy to help dispell ignorance and i'm very glad that you are now able to see what is really going on

i trust that in the light of this new evidence you won't try and keep humanity in the dark?

Have you been able to convince those close to you?

What's really going on. Have you been able to convince them to walk away, or to see what you're seeing

Walk away from what?

See what?

Please explain what it is you think i'm seeing

Also i noticed that you were involved in a pretty messy situation over there in the dear so and so thread

My view on that is that the debates usually run ok as long as people stick to the issues. When they turn sour is when people move off the issues and start getting personal

I noticed that you were getting pretty personal in that debate and i suggest to you that might be the cause of some of the friction

The discussions and debates on the forum can be a way for people and especially INFJ's (for who this forum primarily exists) to learn more. However they usually veer out of the realms of constructive growth when people get personal

What is less offensive and more constructive is when people discuss the issues unless of course the person has requested a view on their personal life

So Cindy is there anything you'd like to say about the thread we are in and about whether or not society has created an introvert ideal?

Walk away from what?

See what?

Please explain what it is you think i'm seeing

Also i noticed that you were involved in a pretty messy situation over there in the dear so and so thread

My view on that is that the debates usually run ok as long as people stick to the issues. When they turn sour is when people move off the issues and start getting personal

I noticed that you were getting pretty personal in that debate and i suggest to you that might be the cause of some of the friction

The discussions and debates on the forum can be a way for people and especially INFJ's (for who this forum primarily exists) to learn more. However they usually veer out of the realms of constructive growth when people get personal

What is less offensive and more constructive is when people discuss the issues unless of course the person has requested a view on their personal life

So Cindy is there anything you'd like to say about the thread we are in and about whether or not society has created an introvert ideal?

Quit playing dumb.

She is asking you if you have been able to convince anyone in your real life, who is a close relation or close friend, of the things you have posted in this thread.

Quit playing dumb.

She is asking you if you have been able to convince anyone in your real life, who is a close relation or close friend, of the things you have posted in this thread.

The post i've just posted applies to you as well

Is my thread getting hijacked?!:m075::m119::m080:

Reactions: CindyLou

You seem to want to draw me into some sort of dispute?

To try and keep the discussion relevant to the thread: how do you feel about the introversion issue?

There seems to be a view that i've encountered that INFJ's should just shut up and fall in line; have you ever noticed anyone pushing that agenda?