Quiet quitting | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Quiet quitting

I’d like to state your definition of “quiet quitti

What you’re talking about isn’t quiet quitting. I don’t know where this “$16.00 an hr” barista came from but I’ll humor you. Does it matter that this person makes that much hourly?

Why do you believe you should restrict someone else’s income or what they believe they’re income should be. If they want more, they should get more. From what I’ve read thus far it seems you believe this barista is doing work that you don’t see fit for a livable wage.
Having the audacity to be receiving more income then you the person making $13.00 an hour going above and beyond your job duties. Maybe the issue isn’t with this imaginary $16.00 an hour barista but with your company.
They don’t respect you and you don’t respect your time and energy. But this $16.00 an hour barista is working for a corporation that respects they’re employees and is able to give them the wages they request. Good on them. Personally I would never want any of my employees to work “off the clock”. That’s insanity and I truly don’t believe you would do something so idiotic.
I've since been promoted and no longer name $13 an hour. I told the company I was expecting a specific range of money within 2 years of working there and the company is exceeding my ask in what I am now getting paid. It's great. Not to mention the additional pay like great insurance, time away, etc.

There isn't an infinite amount of money in the world. Everybody would love to be paid more, right? It would be cool to just pay everyone a million dollars for any work they do so everyone has the best living possible. Why don't we do that? Because there are limited resources in the world. Not everyone can have 17 lbs of chocolate, we would run out. People don't want to accept there are limitations in the world but there are. So I think it's a fair way to run the system that we reward people according to how demand the services they provide are. Not everyone has the capabilities to be a heart surgeon so a heart surgeon can demand very high pay because a hospital needs the heart surgeon to operate. Not the case with a barista. I could take a high schooler and teach them how to perform the duties of barista in less than a month. Can't do that with a heart surgeon. So as an employer, if somebody wants me to pay them a high amount to make coffee it's easy to say no because there are plenty of people qualified to make coffee who I can get to fill the position. Hopefully this makes sense, I'm not sure what the confusion is about why we can't pay everyone as much as they want and why we actually have to factor in how much somebodys labor is really worth.

I've since been promoted and no longer name $13 an hour. I told the company I was expecting a specific range of money within 2 years of working there and the company is exceeding my ask in what I am now getting paid. It's great. Not to mention the additional pay like great insurance, time away, etc.

There isn't an infinite amount of money in the world. Everybody would love to be paid more, right? It would be cool to just pay everyone a million dollars for any work they do so everyone has the best living possible. Why don't we do that? Because there are limited resources in the world. Not everyone can have 17 lbs of chocolate, we would run out. People don't want to accept there are limitations in the world but there are. So I think it's a fair way to run the system that we reward people according to how demand the services they provide are. Not everyone has the capabilities to be a heart surgeon so a heart surgeon can demand very high pay because a hospital needs the heart surgeon to operate. Not the case with a barista. I could take a high schooler and teach them how to perform the duties of barista in less than a month. Can't do that with a heart surgeon. So as an employer, if somebody wants me to pay them a high amount to make coffee it's easy to say no because there are plenty of people qualified to make coffee who I can get to fill the position. Hopefully this makes sense, I'm not sure what the confusion is about why we can't pay everyone as much as they want and why we actually have to factor in how much somebodys labor is really worth.

It makes perfect sense. I thought this was completely self-evident. Microeconomics 101.

If employers couldn’t afford it. Do you think they would give the raise?

If the person is receiving that hourly amount and they request more and if they’re employer sees that they deserve it they’ll give them the raise.

It doesn’t matter if you don’t view that position as a serious position to deserve a livable wage. Your classism is showing.

If employers couldn’t afford it. Do you think they would give the raise?

If the person is receiving that hourly amount and they request more and if they’re employer sees that they deserve it they’ll give them the raise.

It doesn’t matter if you don’t view that position as a serious position to deserve a livable wage. Your classism is showing.
I totally agree with this perspective and support it. A lot of the people quietly quitting are in this position- the employer has decided they will not pay somebody for more for doing minimum effort. If they did decide to pay more, it is their choice how they run their business. This is actually a business tactic for certain types of companies; take Costco, for example. They pay far beyond the wages that most in their industry do, can afford it, and benefit from it. I will say though, anybody putting in minimal effort at Costco is probably going to be replaced quickly.

I definitely think that if somebody doesn't feel they are being paid enough they should just outright quit the job they don't like a find a better job instead of stay and not really put their heart into it. I think you had mentioned earlier my definition of quiet quitting is different than the way you mean it and yes I think this is part of the communication gap in this thread. I've tried to clarify several times that there seem to be different definitions of the term and the one where people perform the expectations of their jobs but nothing more, that makes sense to me. You probably won't get promoted but I respect people who do their job. It's just been my experience that I've seen people "quiet quitting" who are actually only sliding by and sometimes not actually doing their jobs because they don't think they are getting paid enough for it or something. I think that's nuts and that's what I'm talking about. If you are actually doing your job then that's fine, no issue with it.

y3ojp6khofn91.png

Last edited:
I understand that my definition of quiet quitting is not what most people on this thread mean. I'm ok with the definition most of you use. When I'm talking about it, as I've said before, I have a certain slacker mentality in mind because that's how I've been it seen applied in my day to day life.

Of course if people only do their job that's not a real issue. It was a great point to bring up the perspective of the employer because employers can always fire underperforming employees. The system is pretty good at ironing these things out.

Thank you for this. The only thing I took issue with is your use of the term quiet quitting, because it seemed your assertion was based on a false premise.

I suspect my underlying passion on this issue is that I perceive some workers at my job as having 'given up' and they repeatedly make mistakes but due to my company not being cost enough money by these mistakes the employees stays. They make way less money than I do so it's really no skin off my back it's just annoying to work with people who don't like or care about their job.

It can be annoying to work with people like this, first because one’s own work can be impeded, made more difficult, and so on. Second because as they affect the company, you are inevitably affected, and third, the morale of staff and its effects upon individual employee mood and performance is a very real thing.

Work culture means a lot, both overall, and between and among coworkers.

But that's life, right? There is always going to be a wide variety of people and attitudes they have towards work and their job. I can have mine and my preferences but just statistically speaking I'm going to have to work with people who I don't really appreciate their mindset.

All other things being equal, yes, but as long as we are talking about one’s coworkers being engaged at a level equitable with one’s own, perhaps not. Different companies have different tolerances for and approaches toward heterogeneity among their employees engagement.

I do think for me, it's a moral issue, and I understand that seems to upset people but I would push back and say those who are doing the quiet quitting have moral convictions behind their decision, too.

I only took issue with the idea because the pejorative use of quiet quitting reframes what many consider unethical or immoral action on the part of employers as the demonstration of an unethical or immoral character or temperament of their employees.

The clash between these mindsets has been going on forever and I do appreciate the labor movement in terms of taking children out of the work force, 8 hour days, overtime pay, and all the other great benefits we have. I recognize that though the mindset doesn't resonate with me, we do need people to push against the standard set by employers to get better work conditions.

Surely we do. People died so we could have what we have today. Blood ran in the streets so children did not have to work in mines and so people did not have to work seven days a week.

Perhaps too, the way I was raised, I deal with tough times with getting tougher and adapting to my circumstances. Trying to get people to change never worked in my life, so I changed myself. And that's what these people are doing in a way ... It just seems sad, it seems like giving up. But that's only the way I view it, it seems these people are happy with their decisions.

Recognize that they too are adapting to their circumstances. They are changing something they have control over.

Sometimes they are not giving up, but instead are for the first time recognizing their right to set and enforce personal boundaries. Maybe they have reconsidered the extent of their abilities, the limit of their resources, the constraints of their situation, their needs and perhaps the needs of others, and recognized a redirection of their efforts was right for them. Some, in recognition of their limits, have less because of misfortune or a change of circumstance they must endure.

I feel like when we get into workers rights, too often the worker only looks at things from their own perspective, which is completely natural but it often leads to unrealistic expectations on the employer.

That is very fair, and I agree.

I suppose it's just my opinion but I think it's much harder to actually run a company than it is to be a clock in clock out worker who doesn't have to directly respond to stock holders.

It certainly requires different things, but whether or not it is harder depends on how that’s defined.

Business is delicate and until somebody has had to have the responsibility of being in charge, it is too easy to have your hand out asking for more and assuming it's easy to just give everyone more.

Of course. It can be easy to see people like baby birds in the nest, all with gaping maw, desperate for a little more.

At the same time if somebody has only ever been in charge and running a business they might have wrong assumptions about the workers.

Or if they have been in charge for some time, they may forget, or fall under the spell of confirmation bias, survivorship bias, etc., and for sure, humans love to recast their choices made in serendipitous moments as insightful, planned, and intentional when the results of those choices are valued and beneficial, especially when that’s easily appreciated by those well outside the situation.

It goes both ways and maybe I'm harping more from the employer perspective because it's not being defended, because there is little regard for it in a lot of the responses.

Here’s a graph of the relative wages of various employees from a company I once worked for, a company where people loved to work because of the culture, and a company with the smallest level of income disparity for its type of industry in its regional area.

Note: Sales is the only position where working harder could result in additional wages. Labor 1, 2, 3, computer, and driver could earn additional income only by working additional hours, if and when available. Labor 1, 2, driver, and office were single-income households. Of those, only driver lived with other family. Office was computer and driver in the past. Office worked hard, but eventually almost died because of inability to afford necessary medications, rendering him disabled and unable to work. Livable wage included for reference.

R8LzC1p.png

I admittedly wanted just a little more. But fair enough, that would have required other(s) to be paid less. Because I discovered that when I was creative, and found a way to work smarter, be more productive, save money, automate, and so on, it only made the red, blue, orange, and green bars longer.

I continued to do those things, because that’s who I am. Until I no longer could, of course.

I will simply say it was the best place I ever worked, full stop. I remember my coworkers fondly, and some I still consider friends. The situation was what it was. If (any of) you want to assign it a value, or judge it one way or the other, go right ahead.

Cheers,
Ian

t certainly requires different things, but whether or not it is harder depends on how that’s defined.
It's not easy to do this because our gifts differ, and even given the same level of opportunity what's very easy for one person can be very hard for another. I'd never have been a ballet dancer no matter what my training for example, though a guy in my family did just that. I think that something managers are capable of that many people are unwilling or unable to do is to be accountable. They are the folks who have to sort things out if their staff cannot achieve an essential goal or provide an essential service. If you are in a front-line job and call in sick, it's not you but your manager who has to find someone to cover the spot till you return. If the supply chain that you need to do your work breaks down, it's the managers who have to sort things out. If the manager is off sick, very often they will have to carry on working if there is a crisis because the buck stops with them. I've seen people hungry for manager positions who didn't realise that accountability is 24x7 and detested it, or underperformed once the situation they were in hit home.

Does this make management worth more financially than the jobs of the guys working for them? We certainly pay a high premium for people who are able and willing to put their souls into these jobs - and this has been true even in command economies with a communist structure rather than a capitalist one. Does it make the management job harder than many others? This isn't black and white because your surgeon is certainly as gifted as the managers of the hospital he works for - probably a lot more. But it is harder than many jobs, and that's as much to do with the stress it places on you as for the skill you employ - open ended accountability is always there with you wherever you are and whenever.

In life, these issues are more nuanced than I've put it here of course, and there is much overlap between more junior supervisors and the general staff. There are good and bad managers too, just as people differ in their ability to do any job.

Willingness and ability to take on accountability will always command a premium because it is the oil that lubricates the wheels of an organisation - without it the system binds and locks up.

Just one other observation. There can be a mismatch between the culture of an organisation and its lower tier of supervisors - this can happen for example when corporate policy changes fundamentally, or goes through a management restructuring. This can lead to the lower-level supervisors quiet quitting or its equivalent, but their staff don't see what is happening, get messed about, and as a result the whole morale of the organisation goes down the pan. I find that the idea of a polarisation between staff and management can be misleading in many cases - almost as though they are two different species. But in larger organisations the lower-level managers themselves are staff caught up in the same net as the people who work for them - they are managers to some but just staff to their own supervisors. Oh the joys of corporate management politics! There is no financial compensation big enough to compensate for that!

Not what is happening here.

"Ryder was examined by a veterinarian after being brought back to the stable by the NYPD’s mounted unit following his collapse — and the diagnosis was Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis, a neurological disease caused by possum droppings, Hansen said.

Hansen said it was unlikely the horse would be put back to work immediately because he’ll need treatment for EPM."

Source: https://nypost.com/2022/08/11/nyc-carriage-horse-on-the-mend-after-scary-collapse-stable-worker/

A good thing to post though because it highlights the major issue of misinformation and assumptions in our society

Had to laugh a little as it is true of society today. Most employers are just sink holes one way or another between some being worked to death while the favorites get to slack off and differ tasks onto everyone else.

Reactions: Jexocuha and aeon
I'm probably the least qualified person in the world to judge "quiet quitting" because I've essentially almost never worked a day in my life as far as things I actually get paid for. Not to say I haven't ever helped someone else out with a job they get paid for and expected a favor, but I've never been able to get myself into a position where I get paid for doing work.

I would say it's not ideal, for sure. I think if someone is at that point, they probably should find another job. That said, as long as they actually do the minimum, then that was what they agreed to. I wouldn't do that myself because it seems like something they might catch onto eventually.

What I do know a little about is something that's kind of like the opposite of quiet quitting... basically, I have a lot of online friends that don't really like doing their job or are trying to go to school at the same time, and sometimes they dump some of their responsibilities on me, and I do their work for them while pretending to be them after I've gotten to know them. Then in return, maybe a used Thinkpad that their organization was going to retire and replace somehow shows up at my address. You know what I mean?

Basically, I'm in the unique position of being good at convincing people I know very well to trust me enough to do one-off favors for them like this, but I look so bad on paper that no one would actually want to vouch for me or talk me up to an employer because I seem like the kind of slacker people would be embarrassed to know.

So what I do is "quiet working." I pretty much sneak around and do parts of other people's jobs for them when I'm not supposed to, in an attempt to get some kind of favor or strengthen my relationship with them. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side... if you are tired of a soulless 9-to-5 office job, it might seem like a horrible existence you want to escape from. If you're sitting at home all day feeling sorry for yourself because you aren't qualified to work at an office job and find blue-collar work horrifying, you might find yourself fantasizing about that kind of job and feel weirdly honored by the opportunity to do actual office work just like employed people who are way more qualified and better at networking than you are.

Reactions: slant
I'm probably the least qualified person in the world to judge "quiet quitting" because I've essentially almost never worked a day in my life as far as things I actually get paid for. Not to say I haven't ever helped someone else out with a job they get paid for and expected a favor, but I've never been able to get myself into a position where I get paid for doing work.

I would say it's not ideal, for sure. I think if someone is at that point, they probably should find another job. That said, as long as they actually do the minimum, then that was what they agreed to. I wouldn't do that myself because it seems like something they might catch onto eventually.

What I do know a little about is something that's kind of like the opposite of quiet quitting... basically, I have a lot of online friends that don't really like doing their job or are trying to go to school at the same time, and sometimes they dump some of their responsibilities on me, and I do their work for them while pretending to be them after I've gotten to know them. Then in return, maybe a used Thinkpad that their organization was going to retire and replace somehow shows up at my address. You know what I mean?

Basically, I'm in the unique position of being good at convincing people I know very well to trust me enough to do one-off favors for them like this, but I look so bad on paper that no one would actually want to vouch for me or talk me up to an employer because I seem like the kind of slacker people would be embarrassed to know.

So what I do is "quiet working." I pretty much sneak around and do parts of other people's jobs for them when I'm not supposed to, in an attempt to get some kind of favor or strengthen my relationship with them. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side... if you are tired of a soulless 9-to-5 office job, it might seem like a horrible existence you want to escape from. If you're sitting at home all day feeling sorry for yourself because you aren't qualified to work at an office job and find blue-collar work horrifying, you might find yourself fantasizing about that kind of job and feel weirdly honored by the opportunity to do actual office work just like employed people who are way more qualified and better at networking than you are.
When I first read this I thought you were giving a sarcastic reply to my thread like,

"Oh yeah, you don't like quiet quitting? Well what about QUIET WORKING" lol

It is a really ironic twist to the topic though.