Question for other INFJ/INTJ's | INFJ Forum

Question for other INFJ/INTJ's

Jul 20, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
I, myself, am an INFJ, but my F is not expressed that strongly, and therefore I tend to identify both with the INFJ mode of functioning and the INTJ mode of functioning (albeit to a lesser degree).

My question is whether any other person who is an INFJ/INTJ has difficulty understanding themselves through the reason/emotion dichotomy. My reasoning process on my account is rational and logical, but not detached and disengaged or analogous to science. Emotions will usually be involved in reasoning, because reasoning is usually about human concerns, and one cannot make humans intelligible without reference to emotions. Therefore, to be rational one must take into consideration emotions, and the only way to take emotions into consideration is through looking at events through the inside (through the eyes of other's).

In myer-briggs terminology my question relates to the difficulties of an INFJ/INTJ to understand their own cognitive functions through the lens of either Te or Fe. For me the two are completely interconnected, and integrated, and thus non-antagonistic with each other, but mutually supportive. This is not to say that Fe or Te are not logically separable, but that in my own experience of my own thought process I can only make sense of my thinking as an integration of the two. It is because (a) I care for others and do not want to hurt them and (b) it is not prudent to upset others that I seek social connectedness and harmonious conflict free interactions.

Somebody who knows far more about Myers-Briggs could probably help me with regards to the issue I brought up with the concrete interconnectedness

I donno man, I am pretty solidly INFJ and I am Te-retarded. I don't think about things in a logical way on the outside world, it's all feely-gut instinct lol.

Joking aside though, I think a Te/Fe connection makes sense. Also, the more developed each of those functions is, I can see them each working better, for each other. When I really do try to look at and organize occurances outwardly, I can utilize Fe in a much better way.

Last edited:
Well, it is possible for an INFJ to have a strong T, but it's usually not Te.

Have you taken a function test to determine if the T tendencies emanate from Te or Ti? If it's Ti, you're just a very analytical INFJ. If it's Te, you're more of an INFJ/INTJ hybrid.

INTJs and INFJs do often confuse themselves for each other at first, mostly because the biggest difference between them is actually being Ti/Fe or Fi/Te, not being T or F on its own.

Last edited:
I think you are referring to feeling in general from a Ti standpoint. While Fe and Fi strive towards similar goals, their methods are different and sometimes mutually exclusive. Fe strives more towards group cohesion in order to accomplish its ends whereas Fi is more individual oriented.

At your age (profile says 22), it is highly likely that you are developing your Ti. The ballpark ages of the most active development in any function for any type is primary function ages 0-14, secondary function 7-21, tertiary function 14-28, inferior function 21-35. This means that for an INFJ, the ages where you are most like to be extremely focused on any given function would be Ni ages 0-14, Fe 7-21, Ti 14-28, Se 21-35. If you are 22, then you're likely at the deepest point of your Ti development, which means you're going to be focusing on that function the most. Therefore your self assessment tests are going to reflect that by leaning toward T. It's not uncommon at all. When you get later into your 20s you'll start to wonder if you're an extrovert.

If you are wondering about the distinction between INFJ and INTJ, there is a simple way to tell..

INFJs care more about the people involved, helping them, and doing what they feel they should (Fe) while also focusing on the logical details of how things work (Ti). This also means that INFJs have trouble saying no or upsetting people (Fe), and difficulty seeing how things relate on a logical 'big picture' level (Ti).

INTJs are the opposite. They focus on the logical big picture of how things relate and how to maximize the efficiency of these things (Te), and have little trouble detaching themselves from the expectations of others emotionally if need be - they know who they are and have little trouble saying no (Fi). This also means that INTJs tend to have trouble with logical details and how things work on a small scale (Te) and truly connecting with others to develop a sense of oneness (Fi).

Edit: Additionally, I've seen time and again that when INFJs go through this phase and their Ti begins to expand into a larger scale and work in tandem with their Fe, the end result is almost always an assumption of Te development. This is almost never the case, as INFJs tend to not develop Te until their later 30s, and when you do, trust me it is a complete paradigm shift. Just because your Ti is growing larger and larger perspective does not mean you have Te. It is still micro scale reasoning applied to larger systems. When the difference between Te and Ti finally starts to hit home, it's a real eye opener.

Last edited:
Reactions: jyrffw54
VH, that is a great analysis, and I think you are dead on! Glass, I think you should consider yourself very lucky to have such understanding of yourself at such a young age. Many have great difficulty in integrating these functions.

VH, that is a great analysis, and I think you are dead on! Glass, I think you should consider yourself very lucky to have such understanding of yourself at such a young age. Many have great difficulty in integrating these functions.

Thanks, and very much agreed. That degree of self awareness is very uncommon. Kudos to you, Glass.

I'm not too sure myself. I mean, I'm accused more often than not of being 'cold' and 'unemotional' (their words, not mine). But it's strange, because I think of myself as being a very emotional person, than I let on. I guess you could say I savor emotions and believe that too much dulls the effect. But I also have moments when I feel 'drunk' on emotions and wax poetic about almost everything. I'm usually at my happiest then, so I don't know if this means I should try and be more open with my feelings or whether my plan to distill enjoyment out of feelings is working.

Anyways, if you want an overly simplified question to ask yourself, ask 'Do I care more about individuals or institutions? Do I prefer justice or do I prefer mercy? Am I more partial to making decisions based on feelings when all things are equal, or am I stuck and require more input?' I find this helps a lot in a pinch (like when you have suspicions about someone's MBTI that you haven't confirmed just yet). Hmm I guess that's actually three questions, but you get my drift.

I hope this helps.

I'm not too sure myself. I mean, I'm accused more often than not of being 'cold' and 'unemotional' (their words, not mine). But it's strange, because I think of myself as being a very emotional person, than I let on. I guess you could say I savor emotions and believe that too much dulls the effect. But I also have moments when I feel 'drunk' on emotions and wax poetic about almost everything. I'm usually at my happiest then, so I don't know if this means I should try and be more open with my feelings or whether my plan to distill enjoyment out of feelings is working.

This describes me perfectly. People are constantly telling me I'm very difficult to read, and yet I am a very passionate person and care deeply for others. I think it's the Ni dominance.

Athenian200- No, I have not done a function test. And after reading VH's post I think that I was conflating Te with a combination of Fe and Ti.

VH- Your analysis is very helpful. It really cleared up quite a few things. Thanks!