Protests over alleged corruption and rising prices spread to Tehran | INFJ Forum

Protests over alleged corruption and rising prices spread to Tehran

SarahBS

Permanent Fixture
Apr 10, 2015
MBTI
INFJ

Kermanshah was hit by a powerful earthquake that killed more than 600 people in November. Photograph: Pouria Pakizeh/EPA

Demonstrators chanted anti-government slogans in several cities across Iran on Friday, as protests against alleged corruption and rising prices turned into the largest wave of demonstrations since nationwide pro-reform unrest in 2009.

Police dispersed protesters in the western city of Kermanshah as spontaneous rallies spread to Tehran and apparently several other cities, a day after demonstrations in the north-east, the semi-official news agency Fars said.

The outbreak of unrest reflects growing discontent over rising prices and alleged corruption, as well as concern over the country’s costly involvement in regional conflicts such as Syria and Iraq.

An official said a few protesters had been arrested in Tehran, and videos posted on social media showed a heavy police presence and demonstrations in a number of othercities.

The US State Department said it “strongly condemns” the arrests and was monitoring the protests. Spokeswoman Heather Nauert said in a statement the US urged “all nations to publicly support the Iranian people and their demands for basic rights and an end to corruption.”

“Iran’s leaders have turned a wealthy country with a rich history and culture into an economically depleted rogue state whose chief exports are violence, bloodshed, and chaos,” she said. “As President Trump has said, the longest-suffering victims of Iran’s leaders are Iran’s own people.”

read and watch more :
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/29/iranian-police-disperse-anti-government-protests
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/30/middleeast/iran-protests-intl/index.html
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/12/protests-reported-kermanshah-mashhad-iran-171229142706874.html

I dont live there but here in America we are led to believe that Irans goverment is at least as corrupt as our own bas been in the past. Our goverments corruption changes mainly via political party with one believing it's normal to lie, cheat, steal and even murder in some cases and that it's expected by their own supporters. It's not how things are done only that they are.
I think most Americans see Iran's people as regular people just trying.to make a life for themselves with their goverment being oppressive.
I am hopeful that Trump fuels the protests and that the people of Iran can live free one day. Hopefully sooner than later.

Reactions: SarahBS
@Eventhorizon that is true. Our government is not only corrupt, but also irriposnbile. I mean yours is corrupt as well, but you're AMERICA. you know what I mean? Your country is way better than our in many aspects. At least in my case, you don't have to wait an hour for a stamp on your certificate. (These days I'm dealing with my certificates approval problems. I need to get them translated for embassies). You don't have to suffer working at a school with no plan at all where you are told that you will be responsible for one post but there's no place for you to sit! or no computer to use! and you have to find a place for yourself like shit. or When the supervisor ) You know where I'm going with this?

We are a country rich in oil. yet the poorest! What does that say? a super corrupt government!

I mean yes, sure. We do need to change a lot of things. I'm just not sure if we are ready now! We are suffering from lack of knowledge/ culture in so many aspects. besides, we don't have any leader at the moment. Nobody we know is qualified to lead this crusade. The first thing that can happen is a civil war!

Last edited:
Change can be scary especially when lives are in fact on the line. The people have to decide what they want and how bad they want it. Then they have to follow through.

Hopefully you have visionaries who see how things can be and are given a voice and not just people who want power. America was very lucky in having people like this when we rebelled against England. I've not seen the like in the world since.

I hope the best for your people and would love to see you free from oppression.