Protein based diets | INFJ Forum

Protein based diets

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What do you think of protein heavy diets?

So, I've been wondering how to slowly cut some things out of my diet such as less breads or carbs. I love pasta but I don't have it too often. But our family tends to eat quite a bit of heavy carbs such as rice. And we eat quite a bit of bread. Lately, I've been wanting to stay away from eating so much breads, because it feels heavy. It often makes me feel as if I've stuffed myself. I want to lessen my portions but still feel full so I'm curious about protein based diets, which limit the amount of carbs but include more protein. I think this will be more filling. I also planning to add more fruit and possibly soups to my diet.

I eat like this. 85g/1lb lean body mass is ideal. I eat a LOT of fat, protein and very few carbs. When I say very few carbs, I mean net carbs. That comes predominantly from veggies.

I can write out what sample days look like.

The health benefits of getting more healthy fats in your diet, adequate protein and eliminating grains are astronomical.

Reactions: Gaze
Since your body's pH rises, requiring calcium to balance itself, which it gets from your bones, two things happen when you increase protein:

• Kidney stones
  • Osteoporosis

They're not immediate, but you create the "perfect storm" of events in your body for those things to happen in the long run.

Not that carbs are good, but us Westerners always think we need more protein than we really do. Cut the carbs, add more veggies and you're set. Still eat wheat? Have whole grain. Still eat rice? Use brown rice. Cut all the processed, white, filtered, bleached crap from your diet and replace it with the unprocessed form.

Reactions: muir
I think you should just dive in and try various things, easing in and out of any major changes and observing how you feel and seeing what fits around your existing lifestyle and responsibilities best.

Reactions: Gaze
A varied diet seems more appealing than sticking with any particular mix of nutrition types.

My main concern with food is that it be fresh - ie. Not packaged, processed, frozen, cold-stored for long periods, etc.

Variety is king - I groan at the thought of having a limited range of things to eat (not to be confused with varieties in how those things are prepared/flavoured).

Since your body's pH rises, requiring calcium to balance itself, which it gets from your bones, two things happen when you increase protein:

• Kidney stones
  • Osteoporosis

They're not immediate, but you create the "perfect storm" of events in your body for those things to happen in the long run.

Not that carbs are good, but us Westerners always think we need more protein than we really do. Cut the carbs, add more veggies and you're set. Still eat wheat? Have whole grain. Still eat rice? Use brown rice. Cut all the processed, white, filtered, bleached crap from your diet and replace it with the unprocessed form.

I don't think I could disagree more.

You'd have to eat a pretty extreme amount of protein to develop those things and have that kind of reaction.

Also, whole grains and brown rice are fucked. I say this as someone who has extensively read into diet and nutrition right down into the nitty gritty science and how food works on a cellular level.

Your point about eating whole foods is correct but I cannot say that I would ever, EVER recommend eating whole grains to someone unless they want to increase their chances of heart disease.

You'd have to eat a pretty extreme amount of protein to develop those things and have that kind of reaction.

Also, whole grains and brown rice are fucked. I say this as someone who has extensively read into diet and nutrition right down into the nitty gritty science and how food works on a cellular level.

Your point about eating whole foods is correct but I cannot say that I would ever, EVER recommend eating whole grains to someone unless they want to increase their chances of heart disease.

Whole wheat and heart disease? Besides the obvious connection between obesity and heart disease - and the connection between obesity and excessive energy consumption - and the over-consumption of wheat... is there a causal relationship between the consumption of wheat and heart disease?

There's actually no reason to really eat protein as a goal; it just happens with a normal diet. You can get potassium, magnesium, iron, fiber and B6 in addition to protein by eating a bowl of brown rice.

I haven't just studied this inside and out since the Atkins fad several years back, but I've lived every single hour of every day of my life since becoming vegan according to this. Being vegan, there aren't many options; you either thrive or you fail. When it comes to protein and nutrition, you want to ask a person whose health livelihood depends on it, not someone who read something about a new diet plan o_O

Whole wheat and heart disease? Besides the obvious connection between obesity and heart disease - and the connection between obesity and excessive energy consumption - and the over-consumption of wheat... is there a causal relationship between the consumption of wheat and heart disease?

When I get some time I will collect the info for you and can send it! There are many studies and such that link grains to heart disease. It has generally been accepted (based on flawed/bias data) that it's fats that cause the heart disease. Well, if you're talking vegetable/canola oil that is true. Grains also do this. This is why in the media now there is a bit of a revolution where we are now questioning whether or not a higher fat diet is really the cause of obesity and heart diseases. It's not. It's the grains/sugars.

There's actually no reason to really eat protein as a goal; it just happens with a normal diet. You can get potassium, magnesium, iron, fiber and B6 in addition to protein by eating a bowl of brown rice.

I haven't just studied this inside and out since the Atkins fad several years back, but I've lived every single hour of every day of my life since becoming vegan according to this. Being vegan, there aren't many options; you either thrive or you fail. When it comes to protein and nutrition, you want to ask a person whose health livelihood depends on it, not someone who read something about a new diet plan o_O

I think that depends on the kind of diet protocol you follow. Of course if you assume someone eats whole foods (veggies and meats) then their body should naturally gravitate towards getting their nutritional needs met. But in this day and age most people are creatures of convenience and go for pre-prepared foods, take out and whatever can be put in a microwave.

This also assumes that your metabolism is not broken from eating poorly, bad sleep and stress. It also assumes that your hormones are in check, that your gut lining hasn't been disrupted by poor diet and stress and that your digestion is optimal. I would say that a substantial portion of people (including myself up until a few years ago) are representative with what's wrong in the accepted nutritional guidance.

I had a funny feeling you were vegan.... I would very strongly recommend that you avoid the grains but if you are a vegan then I now understand that your perspective on nutrition will be filtered through that lens and will leave it at that.

Now, as for the Atkins diet, I don't have any issues with the macro profiles that it suggests. I do feel concerned for people who go into Atkins and meet their macros without focusing on quality of food. I myself follow a high fat, low carb diet but I do it with very clean foods and high quality meats. Now for me, my grocery bill is AT LEAST 500 dollars a month just for one person. I do empathize with people who do what to eat whole foods and struggle with it because of the financial cost. It also takes a lot of time and effort to make sure you prepare all of your meals and not rely on ordering in chicken and ribs (I do this because it's good lol).

I think when people stray from food quality they tend to run into a lot of issues. If you get all of your fat content from canola oil and nuts then you run into a big issue. If your body becomes out of balance because you can't get all of your micro nutrients that is also an issue which I have personally experienced when I switched over without appropriately researching and covering my bases.

Anyway. Veganism is absolutely not for me and not for a lot of people because it takes a lot of money and work to get the highest quality protein you can without eating dairy and meats, so A for effort. But protein is absolutely, 100% essential and if you're not getting at least .8g/lb of lean mass then your muscles will being to break down and you fuck up your metabolism. BAD.

Eat more of what you need to eat more of, and less of what you need to eat less of.

Just start doing it. Having an overall goal is fine, but if you don't start because you can't get it perfect right away then you'll never start. You'll always be "thinking about it".

When a choice presents itself, make it.

Everything-protein tastes great, and it's extremely important. However, be careful in only eating one thing. Fat and carbs have their place in a healthy diet. Variation and moderation are very effective at weight loss and overall health. Avoid the "if only we knew the consequences" crowd, like when fruitarians like Steve Jobs ended up with pancreatic cancer.

one thing you could try is food combining… i did this for a while and felt really great and did away with that ‘heavy' feeling… it forced me to eat a lot cleaner without giving up anything… it’s basically eating what you want but at specified times… like proteins with veggies only or grains with veggies only…no protein and carbs in the same meal… eating fruits alone

i’ve done high protein diets to lose weight and it worked great, but i couldn’t see it as a lifestyle for me personally…

here’s a chart, but you could google a bunch more info…
foodcombiningchart.pdf

Eat more vegetables and change your meat to better quality meats.

I think you should just dive in and try various things, easing in and out of any major changes and observing how you feel and seeing what fits around your existing lifestyle and responsibilities best.

This. A hundred times this.

Everybody's body is different. Not everyone fairs well on a high protein diet, just as not everyone fairs well on a vegan or low carb diet. Figure out the balance for yourself based on how you feel. Start with small changes and see to it from there.

Eat more of what you need to eat more of, and less of what you need to eat less of.

Just start doing it. Having an overall goal is fine, but if you don't start because you can't get it perfect right away then you'll never start. You'll always be "thinking about it".

When a choice presents itself, make it.

agree, and it's especially good advice because I'm one of those who often won't start things until I feel I have it down perfectly. So, you're right. I can make small changes and gradually build up from there.

Everything-protein tastes great, and it's extremely important. However, be careful in only eating one thing. Fat and carbs have their place in a healthy diet. Variation and moderation are very effective at weight loss and overall health. Avoid the "if only we knew the consequences" crowd, like when fruitarians like Steve Jobs ended up with pancreatic cancer.

Yeah, I don't believe in the protein only kind of diets or overdoing the protein either. I do want a balance. I think my mindset is focused on lessening carbs, and eating more filling protein based meals. I my trying to get away from this feeling I must eat a heavy meal to feel full. I don't like feeling stuffed.

one thing you could try is food combining… i did this for a while and felt really great and did away with that ‘heavy' feeling… it forced me to eat a lot cleaner without giving up anything… it’s basically eating what you want but at specified times… like proteins with veggies only or grains with veggies only…no protein and carbs in the same meal… eating fruits alone

i’ve done high protein diets to lose weight and it worked great, but i couldn’t see it as a lifestyle for me personally…

here’s a chart, but you could google a bunch more info…
foodcombiningchart.pdf

Makes sense. Maybe I can be more selective of the foods I eat together. Never thought about this before. I could be mixing the wrong foods. I know there's too much fat in my diet. I agree with the protein and carbs in same diet, because that's my current diet and it's definitely not working.

True, the type of meat eaten is important, maybe I should consider leaner meats and possibly more fish in my diet.

This. A hundred times this.

Everybody's body is different. Not everyone fairs well on a high protein diet, just as not everyone fairs well on a vegan or low carb diet. Figure out the balance for yourself based on how you feel. Start with small changes and see to it from there.

Agree, it's probably better to start small than to make major changes.

Good advice. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: j654dgj7
I think they're crap. I don't get the point of putting yourself on a fad diet that cannot be sustained long-term. I've lost over 70lbs by being gluten free (I have an intolerance, wheat caused major weight gain and vitamin deficiencies for me) but making sure I have a BALANCED diet is the key to staying fit and healthy despite being gluten free. Every nutritionist I've been to has talked about eating balanced (I've been to like 3). The point is having a protein and carb at every meal along with non-starchy veggies to fill yourself up so you don't over eat at the next meal (or you can substitute with some fruit at breakfast). Carbs aren't just breads, pasta, rice, etc. They are yogurt, starchy veggies (avocados, beets, etc), legumes, quinoa, peas, corn, etc. Fats and dairy is even important too and should be added if possible. Proteins are mainly derived from animals (lean grass fed meat is great) but it can be peanut butter, legumes, quinoa, poultry, eggs, etc. So it's 25% carbs, 25% protein, and 50% non-starchy veggies.

The point is to have 3 meals a day like this so you're feeling full and satiated throughout the day and don't get into the overeating/undereating cycle. Also, you're getting nutrients from all the core food groups so your energy is sustained throughout the day as well. So you're not on a high protein diet and missing carbs that you need for energy.... you're getting it ALL and it's lasting you throughout the day until your next balanced meal. Since I'm gluten free, my carbs can be gluten free items but I mainly stick to starchy veggies, rice, and corn since it's less processed. I make healthy substitutions.

An example of this for dinner would be: A cut of grilled salmon over 1/2 cup of brown rice with grilled broccoli, yellow peppers, and onions. Then sprinkle some colby cheese on top and maybe cut up a few olives for additional fat. Have a glass of water... and voila, you have a balanced dinner meal.

What do I eat for breakfast? Well, I'll have Greek yogurt (about 1/2 cup or a bit more) with blueberries, strawberries, and sometimes some peaches. Then I take gf granola or even gf chex cereal and sprinkle some all over. Yogurt is one of those weird things that are a carb AND a protein so it's great for energy. Then the fruits give me the vitamins and minerals I need.

I've eaten this way for the past year and a half and have never paleatu'd or felt the need to overindulge. I do have a lot of self-control though. I also don't work out every week like I used to (I was a barefoot runner). I run around NYC mostly and thats my exercise but it's very true when they say 80% is what you eat and 20% is working out.
balancedplate.jpg

And always get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day.

What is a "normal" diet?