protective instincts | INFJ Forum

protective instincts

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
do you feel you have protective instincts towards family, partners, friends, community, etc.? Do you think your protective instincts are natural or were they guided by how you were raised or not raised? How do you see your protective instincts play out in your everyday life? How do you think it can help or hurt a relationship?

I am rarely in situations where the people I KNOW are being confronted. However there have been times in the past. I can absolutely say dont f with me and mine. I will bring you down and bring you down hard.

So thats how I feel about it.

do you feel you have protective instincts towards family, partners, friends, community, etc.?
I know i have protective instincts for family, partners, and friends. Community is completely dependent upon the situation.

Do you think your protective instincts are natural or were they guided by how you were raised or not raised?
Well I would call them natural because I was very protective of my friends and family at a very young age. As I continued growing older I know that my instinct was sort of guided by having my father have to take care of my mother, but at core my instincts are natural.

How do you see your protective instincts play out in your everyday life?
They are not very apparent until someone goes after someone who I care about and will protect. Some people talk about the "dark side" of an INFJ and what can happen if you hurt them and they come after you. If someone even insinuates something derogatory towards someone I would protect, they get me using every ounce of insight and intuition to bury them where they stand. I guess you could say my form of "protection" is to change the focus of the 'attacker' towards myself and then dissect them until they have no will left to engage. I do give fair warning before engaging in trench warfare with someone usually and I never do it unprovoked.

How do you think it can help or hurt a relationship?
It is hard to say in a general sense, but I know it can hurt a relationship from experience. However I do see it helping sometimes too.

I am protective of almost anyone- especially family and friends. But I will also be protective of people who remind me of family members or certain friends, or if I think that they are scared or upset. I'm not sure if they are how I was raised, a part of my personality, or just the 'mothering' instinct that is pretty fierce in me.

In everyday life I certainly will go out of my way to help people or make sure they are safe - so if an elderly person needs help crossing the road, I'll become a meat shield for them...but I also will go up to bat for students or peers that I think are getting duped....I think this sometimes leads me to over help a person, or not let them fend for themselves enough!

Oh boy,do I ever have the protective instinct in overdrive.

Not only have I always wanted to protect my loved ones, and everybody else, physically, but emotionally as well.

When I was little I would protect my brothers from each other, my parents from my brothers, my brothers from my parents, kids at school from other kids...

I wanted to keep the peace at all cost and keep everybody from getting hurt.

As an adult I've protected my kids from each other, my kids from their dad, my husband from the kids, everybody from themselves... anybody and any situation that I felt could cause harm would put me in overdrive to try to stop it.

If somebody did something that would cause hurt to somebody else I tried to find a way to mediate or stop it from happening or from the other person finding out...whatever I felt would work to smooth things over and stop somebody from being hurt.

It's an impossible task and I've learned that in some cases it causes more harm than good, which is definitely not what I ever wanted.

It's incredible how you can have the best intentions and have it turn out in such a dysfunctional way.

I didn't overprotect my kids from receiving proper punishment at school if they had done something wrong though, because I felt that was good for them to learn a lesson. But I did go into Mama Bear mode when teachers would tell me that my son needed to go on medication for him to sit still and do as he was told. They could punish him for doing something wrong but I wouldn't let them drug him. Over my dead body!

I see being protective as closely connected to being nurturing. They complement each other.

do you feel you have protective instincts towards family, partners, friends, community, etc.?

-I think I do. I've experienced this with friends and family. However, it's like a fierce mama bear thing. I can be very protective and defensive if I see someone being mocked or being demeaned.

Do you think your protective instincts are natural or were they guided by how you were raised or not raised?

-I was defensive and protective of myself growing up but didn't really become protective of others until I got older, around college. I think it stemmed from being teased/bullied as a child. My sympathetic instincts kicked in and I wanted defend those who were being picked on just as I was. My mom is very nurturing, dad very protective, in ways that go beyond what is normally expected. so, I've developed that trait fairly well.

How do you see your protective instincts play out in your everyday life? How do you think it can help or hurt a relationship?

-However, I sometimes overdo it and have to pull back in friendships or relationships. It's not the best trait when dealing with people who are "independent" and self sufficient. It can make them feel weak or feel defenseless. When someone is too nurturing/protective, it can be stifling and make them feel they have no rights to resist this kind of care.

I find people are always surprised at how protective I can be. I tend to be a mat, and don't stick up for myself, which makes them so surprised when they see me speak out for them!

do you guys get that at all?

Reactions: Gaze
I find people are always surprised at how protective I can be. I tend to be a mat, and don't stick up for myself, which makes them so surprised when they see me speak out for them!

do you guys get that at all?

yep, sounds like me. It's easier for me to stand up for someone else than to stand up for myself.

yep, sounds like me. It's easier for me to stand up for someone else than to stand up for myself.

Same!

But...I wonder if we stood up more for ourselves, we wouldn't be so protective. In a way, I sometimes project my own timidness onto others, thinking that they'll need a protector - as I do when it comes to situations where I'm being walked all over.

I've noticed that one of my friends who is very much "in your face" if something happens to her- is not a protector at all. I can remember going through my masters with her, and I would get torn a strip from my supervisor and she would just say "you're being too sensitive". Whereas whenever it happened to hear, and she was upset - I stood up for her.

So I wonder if there's a correlation there!

I tend to be aggressive (protective not just towards others, but for myself as well) when I believe someone is 'breaking rules,' 'cheating,' 'being unfair or unjust,' or otherwise deserving of reprimand and I can back up such claims.

Otherwise if someone is 'playing fair,' and the other side appears to be suffering for it then I believe that is just and 'tough love' that they should learn and grow from.

do you feel you have protective instincts towards family, partners, friends, community, etc.? Do you think your protective instincts are natural or were they guided by how you were raised or not raised? How do you see your protective instincts play out in your everyday life? How do you think it can help or hurt a relationship?

I definitely have protective instincts. I don't have them toward my community in general, in that I don't immediately think in the collective, but I do feel a connection to others and when I physically see someone struggling or being treated unfairly, I'm usually the first to stand up and say something. But as far as cutting out a slice of my life to dedicate to the community via volunteering or getting involved because I feel like there's something that needs my involvement, that's not me at this time. It used to be when I was still in school (high school especially, I volunteered a lot) but I honestly don't feel that pull anymore. Maybe I'm acting out most of my instincts here, on the forums, when I stop on by and I see a complete stranger/acquaintance having a bad time of it and I can give them some kind of comfort or at least put a smile on their face. But I don't actually pay attention to it.

As for my friends and family, I'm a bit of a lioness in that respect. I kind of get over-involved and step in. When someone's grieving or having a hard time due to illness, I take some serious charge. I'm not exactly a shy person, but I'm never more confident than when I'm doing something on someone's behalf. Bitching out a phone company for talking my mom into agreeing to a sneaky contract. Accompanying a friend to the hospital for a consultation she's worried about. Talking a friend's girlfriend down off a ledge because she's being absolutely fucking unreasonable. I usually don't step in unless I'm asked, but sometimes, I'm rather impatient to be let off my choke chain when I see something that I know is not right.

I think my protective instincts came from my family. My parents, though dysfunctional as fuck to one another, always had a united front when it came to protecting the kids and helping out in the community. My dad, especially, was a papa bear. He's always been pushed into positions of authority, and almost never by design or ambition. He's always had teeth and when he talks, people listen. Since I can remember, he's always been sensitive to injustices against the people he deals with and he never stayed quiet about it (sometimes to his own detriment; he's made a lot of enemies that way).

I'm completely my father's daughter... though my edges are considerably less rougher and I lack his intensity. Meanwhile, my brother... well, he literally does not give a shit about anyone or anything unless it's the family that's in obvious trouble or when someone asks him. He's not in the habit of scanning the environment and looking for the chance to play the hero. It's not that he's selfish, it's just that he's literally oblivious to most things. He's an incredibly intelligent guy and a brilliant strategist, but when it comes to relationships or social situations, you have to point things out to him... or explain them. Everyone else in the room can be having the most intense, non-verbal conversation and his default answer will be 'Really? I never noticed."

I think to have protective instincts you need to have shades and colors of being a nurturer to begin with and being attentive to others. It requires having a certain level of emotional sensitivity and imagination that allows you to put yourself in other people's shoes. Or, at the very least, feel strongly enough about your social ideals that you'd be willing to stand up for them when you see them violated. If you don't have that, you don't really have a reason to be protective (of others).

In fact, it's been my personal experience that the most timid, sensitive of people who would never actually stand up for themselves turn out to have the biggest teeth and claws if you threaten people or ideals that are important to them.

Can protective instincts harm relationships? Yes, they definitely can. There is such a thing as being over-protective (my father *cough*) where you literally put a muzzle on the other person and prevent them from developing a healthy sense of independence. Or, in the romantic context, protectiveness can also leak into jealousy and control issues. I think a balance is needed, when you are able to recognize when a person needs your help and when they can handle things themselves. The key is let them know you're close by if you need them without holding their hand the whole time.

Last edited: