Prosecuting for cheating? | INFJ Forum

Prosecuting for cheating?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
We hold public figures to a higher standard but to what extent should we we hold them accountable publicly and legally for private or personal decisions which are questions of morality or ethics in their personal, not public lives?

After watching a story on the John Edward's trial, I think this case is really more about (indirectly) prosecuting a public figure for having an affair. The main charges of the case are the use of campaign funds to hide his affair with Riel Hunger. Although he should be held liable for misusing public funds, it appears that the case is more about prosecuting him for having an affair especially since his wife was ill at the time.

I don't believe in justifying his actions, but I think it would be difficult to prosecute this case fairly since the court of public opinion and media has so much impact on our perceptions, and our values affect our opinions or judgments.

What's your view?

Last edited:
Reactions: Quiet
Be prepared for the glare when you step in the spotlight. There are very pressing legal ramifications and millions of dollars in campaign funds that are being questioned. The laws are supposed to be strict on campaign funds and I believe his defense is that the money wasn't a contribution but gifts from this wealthy woman.

This brings to mind the whole thing with Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinski but this is obviously a different scenario.

I don't know much about the case mentioned but if we're talking large sums of money here and he's claiming it was a gift and yet he was romantically involved with the woman... well... I don't think they have a choice but to consider the affair.

I believe it involved paying her to work if I'm not mistaken and her room/board/gifts. Fellow campaign workers were asked to or did lie about the truth of the situation. After the fact they have been trying to claim the money was a personal gift and not meant for his campaign. Kinda like when the person holding the office lottery tickets claims that the winner was part of the ones they bought for themselves...

It's all just a bunch of drama that gets thrown in the media to make money out of the giant gossip machine. It's "scandalous" and "sexy" so it sells. Personally I don't really care one way or the other.

If this scandal wasnt in the news, none of the regular joe schmoes would even know this happened.

I was using the John Edwards trial just as an example. Again, my main question is should the private actions of public figures be a consideration when prosecuting a crime? And how much should personal actions affect what they should be held accountable for publicly?