Peppermint

Feb 21, 2009
MBTI
uwot
Enneagram
_
well, of course.

jesus.

okay, well hopefully the story catches more and more attention.
even though it infuriates me that finding cures and treatments more often than not requires the public's money.

i hope big pharma has it coming to them.

Not surprised. There are tons of drugs that are illegal because they aren't patentable.

Researchers at the University of Uppsala in Sweden, have an adenovirus that can fight neuroendocrine tumours without great adverse effects on human health, but have it on ice for two years because big companies won't invest money needed to perform safety tests for human application as the virus is not patentable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...ncer-the-cure-thats-waiting-in-the-coldc.html

I think these researchers could easily get around the problem of lack of funding from drug companies if indeed the proposed cure was assessed and found to be truly viable.

On a separate note, I do not believe that a cure for cancer is a great idea at this moment in time. I think cancer has an important natural place in population control as it is one of the main causes of death in humans. I say this as an individual with a stong family history of cancer and one who is around cancer sufferers everyday. As cruel as it sounds, I hope a cure for cancer is only found when humans become more realistic about population control.

If we continue at our current rate of population growth then I fear we will have far bigger problems than cancer ever was in the future.

I think these researchers could easily get around the problem of lack of funding from drug companies if indeed the proposed cure was assessed and found to be truly viable.

On a separate note, I do not believe that a cure for cancer is a great idea at this moment in time. I think cancer has an important natural place in population control as it is one of the main causes of death in humans. I say this as an individual with a stong family history of cancer and one who is around cancer sufferers everyday. As cruel as it sounds, I hope a cure for cancer is only found when humans become more realistic about population control.

If we continue at our current rate of population growth then I fear we will have far bigger problems than cancer ever was in the future.

I want to agree with you, because I do belief in nature regulating itself and what are we but animals?
However, population control is really an issue of underdevelopment, it seems. Most of the rapid population growth continues to occur in places where survival is regularly under threat. The populations of many western nations are, in fact, under-reproducing. We're dying off quicker than we're bringing new ones into the world.
Isn't the western world faced with a much greater prevalance/incidence of cancer than the non-western, where much of the over-population growth occurs?
Also, how do we know that nature isn't in cahoots with the universe? Perhaps nature has been regulating us through cancer until now, and this discovery is its way of saying "Population's fine for a moment." (I realize it doesn't seem like it, but maybe reality is a mystery we've barely grazed with our fingertips.) I'm mostly joking with this last one, although I guess you never know. Anyhow, just a thought. I love your avatar. :)

..or people could just stop reproducing so much..and actually be educated and take advantage of contraceptives. I see your point, and agree that population is becoming a problem. If a cure is available, I would hope that we never have to live in a world where it is denied to people on this premise. Prevention seems like the most humane means.

Last edited:
..or people could just stop reproducing so much..and actually be educated and take advantage of contraceptives. I see your point, and agree that population is becoming a problem. If a cure is available, I would hope that we never have to live in a world where it is denied to people on this premise. Prevention seems like the most humane means.

The problem with contraceptive advice is that it is frquently not acted upon and even in societies with lower population growth there probably are still too many people already there.

If I had the power I most certainly would deny this cure at this present time, I think it would be almost irresponsible to cure this disease in the current social and environmental state that humans find themselves.

It is not an emotional issue for me... of course it is distrurbing to see poor little bald-headed children die of this dreadful disease it is rather a sustainability issue. Without cancer and heart disease you and I would probably not be having such a comfortable life as to be writing our opinions on an internet forum.

Nature will win eventually anyway by one means or another. We need to get our priorities right first before speaking of anything that would disasterously increase our numbers.