Political roles in charities? | INFJ Forum

Political roles in charities?

justeccentricnotinsane

Community Member
Oct 7, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Hi
I have wanted to write comedy professionally for a while and it is not until recently that I found another career path I think I'd find rewarding. Since realising that there are options, I'm actually writing better and more frequently because I'm putting less pressure on myself, which is great!

But we all know it's extremely hard to make a career out of writing so I do want to get myself a day job that I find rewarding.

So far, I have only ever found one other rewarding. I was volunteering as a press officer for a charity, which meant talking to people about their experiences, writing about the values of the charity and going on radio to promote the charity's work. I loved it because I believed in the cause and I felt like what I was doing could actually help someone. The cause was basically just volunteering. Students, graduates and NEETs can all benefit massively from free work experiences, because nowadays internships and apprentices are far and few between. Taking time while still in eduction or unemployed to work for free could set you up for life.

So I've applied to be an employability officer at my old uni. I know graduates aren't exactly a vulnerable group, but I remember how depressing it was to come out of uni with no direction, no job and no idea of how to get a job that I would feel comfortable in. If I get this role, I will help students find something before they leave university, I will give them advice on how to prepare and hopefully stop them going through a time of disappointment and confusion following three or four years of hard work - only to go nowhere at all.

But this is a stepping stone. I want to work in the third sector but I'm not particularly interested in ground level stuff. I would fine case working with the truly vulnerable stressful and would prefer being behind the scenes where I can use my skills to make a difference - my skills being communication, promotion and the art of persuasion! When I'm enthusiastic about something, I know I can infect everybody with it. It's one of the skills I'm most proud of that I am somehow (I don't know what I'm doing exactly) very convincing. Or so I've been told. I think it really just lies in my enthusiasm. I am also good at public speaking and presenting information, teaching, explaining things etc. I had at first thought about being a lecturer, and this is something I have been advised to do because my skills match, but I don't have the money to do a PHD!

I am also very interested in politics and when things come up in the news I am itching to something about it but I know I can't. So what I want to do is some kind of campaigning role. There are press and communication roles in charities but I know this doesn't include the bits I most want to do. I eventually want to be the person that meets up with officials, speaks to MPs, liases with people who make things happen and persuade them, as best I can, to really make a difference. I want to be involved in left wing politics to bring about meaningful change but, due to my uncompetitive nature (Competition makes me feel very uneasy, because I just want SOMEONE to win and it all be over and would gladly self-sabotage to make that come true!) I don't actually want to be a politician. I just want to talk to politicians about what can be done and feel like I might be persuading someone to make a meaningful change in my country. I want to be involved with identifying actions and policies that could make that change and then I want to negotiate terms - see how far we can get through discussion and debate and try to encourage others to put things into action.

The only thing is, I don't know what this job's called! I don't know what I'm aiming for here! Does this position even exist? How do I get there? I haven't got time for free work at the moment but if I had more time I would certainly put the hours in.

Anybody got advice on how I get to this point? I have media experience, I work as a professional writer at the moment, I have PR experience for charities and I have a first-class degree.

I AM NOT GOOD at organising things on a practical level. I am good at analysis, coming up with meaningful actions, debating and getting people on board. But I can only think up actions, I cannot follow through, because I lack common sense.

EDIT: I just want to add that I am a TERRIBLE schmoozer. I cannot network at all! I am not good at self promotion, I find it embarrassing and rude (unless I'm in a job interview or explaining my skills in this post where it is necessary). I am not good at small talk or making instant connections with people. I am good at talking about specific subjects and bringing people round to think about things differently, but I am not good with just general blather. The other thing holding me back is that I'm quite socially anxious and I find it very difficult to feel comfortable around people I don't know and because I'm so uncomfortable, it makes them uncomfortable. I can make myself do this, though, I've learned a few tricks. It sounds cheesy, but if I visualise myself being master schmoozer and give myself a bit of a peptalk, I can put it on. I can just walk through a party and speak to everyone with a big smile and seems like "life and soul" but inside I feel very uneasy and all I want to do is get out of there! I feel like this is REALLY going to hold me back on what I want to do. I can't keep up the act for that long, you see, I get tired and then the discomfort starts showing through. I want to be able to present information, speak about specific topics, promote, but I don't want to network or be in charge of charming people - I can charm if I put my mind to it, but like I said, I find it very taxing and uncomfortable. Does this mean I can't do the kind of work I want to, do you think?

Last edited:
Test.

Check out the Chamber of Commerce.
Child Advocate? CASA is what it's called here.
There are people here who volunteer as Ombudsmen. They don't get paid, though.

You sound as if you'd do well on a team.

The only thing is, I don't know what this job's called! I don't know what I'm aiming for here! Does this position even exist? How do I get there? I haven't got time for free work at the moment but if I had more time I would certainly put the hours in. Anybody got advice on how I get to this point? I have media experience, I work as a professional writer at the moment, I have PR experience for charities and I have a first-class degree.

The profession is called political strategist or political consultant. There are the more technical guys who identify problems in the system and come up with solutions. These people usually work for think tanks and most of them have studied political science. Then there are the media guys who help politicians win elections. People like David Axelrod. Most of them have also studied political science, but a lot of people from the media/PR sector as well.

And there's a third job that fits your description: a lobbyist. Most of them are lawyers.

The profession is called political strategist or political consultant. There are the more technical guys who identify problems in the system and come up with solutions. These people usually work for think tanks and most of them have studied political science. Then there are the media guys who help politicians win elections. People like David Axelrod. Most of them have also studied political science, but a lot of people from the media/PR sector as well.

And there's a third job that fits your description: a lobbyist. Most of them are lawyers.

Thank you. My worry is that this sounds a little competitive, I really want to be in an atmosphere where I will be very sure I am doing something for the greater good and not just to help someone win. A think tank sounds like a good idea, actually, but I only have a BA and I believe you really need to be an expert to get on a think tank! I would need a PHD and experience in a particular profession. Perhaps a thought for the future but where to begin?! Thanks though, great points.

[MENTION=2578]K-gal[/MENTION] You're post's showing up now! Thank you :-D Chambers of Commerce is about entrepreneurialism isn't it? Well it is over here, perhaps it means something different where you're from. Both of you are going toward politics more than charity and maybe I need to look at that option. It would need to be something left-wing though (I couldn't act on behalf of the private sector because a lot of private sector values offend me) and there definitely couldn't be any sense of winning or losing or any competitiveness. I would enjoy being an advocate but only about what I believe in. I couldn't deal with feeling I was in any kind of game, if you see what I mean.

If you want to "bring about change" you will have to compete. Either you win and then you initiate the change, or the other does. There's this macho line that says "Lead, follow, or get ouf of the way".

I think you haven't thought about your problem well enough. If you can't network, can't follow through, don't have common sense, not good at self-promotion etc. then you will have to work first on yourself before you can effectively help other people.

Also your text is quite a muddle which left the impression that you don't know yourself or haven't sorted your priorities, skills and weaknesses. As long you haven't done that you won't make progress.

If you want to "bring about change" you will have to compete. Either you win and then you initiate the change, or the other does. There's this macho line that says "Lead, follow, or get ouf of the way".

I think you haven't thought about your problem well enough. If you can't network, can't follow through, don't have common sense, not good at self-promotion etc. then you will have to work first on yourself before you can effectively help other people.

Also your text is quite a muddle which left the impression that you don't know yourself or haven't sorted your priorities, skills and weaknesses. As long you haven't done that you won't make progress.

Good point. I think I wrote this off the back of: I hate my job+Scriptwriting is hard to get into+I enjoyed helping people through that charity.

If I was to make it really basic: here is strengths, weaknesses, interests.

Strengths
Written and verbal communication

Comfortable with people of authority

Enjoy public speaking

Presenting data in a clear and interesting way both written and verbal.

"Stage presence" - I'm not entirely sure what this means, it's just something people keep saying about me.

High intelligence, so catch on quickly

Good at big picture thinking and troubleshooting

Good at seeing the implications/consequences of courses of action.

Weaknesses

Very few practical strengths - I know what we should do but I couldn't even tell you the first step of how we do it.

Difficulty doing that extraverted "immediate bond" thing - comms people seem to be those types that can meet someone and five minutes later it'll look like they've been best friends all their lives. I can speak to people face to face but I am uncomfortable with small talk so I normally speak professionally and formally (though I am very polite and friendly).

Not very good at multi-tasking. I can organise information very well and work in a structured, routinised manner, but I find it difficult to organise a business trip at the same time as organising several meetings at the same time as organising lunch - I used to be a PA which is how I know I can't multitask!

Work in a structured, routinised manner! - Not sure how good I'd be at adapting to a quickly changing environment.

Strong dislike of competition or dealing with competitive personality types. Prefer structured and calm debate over topics than slanging matches or people getting too stubborn and childish.

Prone to stress.

Interests

Communication is right at the top - every job I've ever considered since I was 10 has something to do with the written or spoken word.

Helping people through political change (rather than hands on or individualised helping)

Entertaining people.

Project based work. NO CHURNING! I know this is what most jobs are like, but the worst thing about being an adult is that you never learn anything or complete anything. You just go in and maintain processes. This is boring and I find it irritating!

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I SHOULD DO?!?!

Applying to be an employability officer is a good start as most projects that the government is currently pushing are to do with employability, training and business development. In England at least. Do you live in England?

There are a few options. First of all you aren't going to walk into a job like that straight away so you should consider this a process. Find out about any local groups ion your area where people from a community meet up to discuss local issues. In England they are called TARA's which stands for Tenants And Residents Association. Make yourself a member and start going to meetings. To operate TARA's need a Chair, a Vice-Chair, a Secretary and a Treasurer. All of these are volunteer positions. You should be hoping to become one of these at some point.

You will meet lots of like minded people there as well as local councellors and community leaders. Start building contacts and becoming known in your community.

A good place to work for is Development Trusts. If you live in england (i'm just going to assume you do) go in this site http://www.dta.org.uk/ and find your local Development Trust. There may be several close by.

The type of job you're looking for to start with is usually called Engagement Officer.

Here is a few of job descriptions for you to look at

http://www.goodmoves.org.uk/jobs/8766

http://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/Asse...ns and engagement officer job description.pdf

http://www.aidsmap.com/files/file1004411.pdf

you could them move up to something like a Project Development Officer and start making a name for yourself in the community. By this time you will probably see how to move into the role you want (if it exists) and will have met a lot of people.

Am I in the ball park?

Also, here is the website for all the volunteer opportunities in England

http://www.do-it.org.uk/

Hopefully you do live in England or most of what I just said is meaningless

Let me know if this helps

Reactions: Nixie
Applying to be an employability officer is a good start as most projects that the government is currently pushing are to do with employability, training and business development. In England at least. Do you live in England?

There are a few options. First of all you aren't going to walk into a job like that straight away so you should consider this a process. Find out about any local groups ion your area where people from a community meet up to discuss local issues. In England they are called TARA's which stands for Tenants And Residents Association. Make yourself a member and start going to meetings. To operate TARA's need a Chair, a Vice-Chair, a Secretary and a Treasurer. All of these are volunteer positions. You should be hoping to become one of these at some point.

You will meet lots of like minded people there as well as local councellors and community leaders. Start building contacts and becoming known in your community.

A good place to work for is Development Trusts. If you live in england (i'm just going to assume you do) go in this site http://www.dta.org.uk/ and find your local Development Trust. There may be several close by.

The type of job you're looking for to start with is usually called Engagement Officer.

Here is a few of job descriptions for you to look at

http://www.goodmoves.org.uk/jobs/8766

http://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/Asse...ns and engagement officer job description.pdf

http://www.aidsmap.com/files/file1004411.pdf

you could them move up to something like a Project Development Officer and start making a name for yourself in the community. By this time you will probably see how to move into the role you want (if it exists) and will have met a lot of people.

Am I in the ball park?

Also, here is the website for all the volunteer opportunities in England

http://www.do-it.org.uk/

Hopefully you do live in England or most of what I just said is meaningless

Let me know if this helps

Spot on! And I am in England. I'll check all this stuff out, it really looks like what I'm going for. Thank you very much!

Spot on! And I am in England. I'll check all this stuff out, it really looks like what I'm going for. Thank you very much!

Nice one. Hope it works out for you.

A good qualification to have in this area is Information Advice and Guidance (IAG). You'll want at least level 3. You will have to already be in a role where you are dealing with clients in order to complete the qualification. A volunteer position is fine.

Good luck

Nice one. Hope it works out for you.

A good qualification to have in this area is Information Advice and Guidance (IAG). You'll want at least level 3. You will have to already be in a role where you are dealing with clients in order to complete the qualification. A volunteer position is fine.

Good luck

Thank you! The qualification - is it an NVQ? I have a friend in a charity and have asked if she has anything I can do there as well.

Thank you! The qualification - is it an NVQ? I have a friend in a charity and have asked if she has anything I can do there as well.

Yes it is an NVQ. That is why you need to be in a role where you can demonstrate the knowledge and skills to pass the course. All NVQ's are evidence based so it's kind of a catch 22. You often need this qualification to get an advisor type job but you can't complete the course without already being in such a role.

The way to get around this is to volunteer. Another benefit to this is that charities often have funding set aside to train their volunteers. They may pay for the course for you

Something else that would help is some sort of admin type qualification to show that you have computer skills. CLAIT or ECDL is what you want. Luckily you may be able to get one of these for as little as

Last edited: