PETS OF ALL KINDS: WHICH PET WAS YOUR FAVORITE? | INFJ Forum

PETS OF ALL KINDS: WHICH PET WAS YOUR FAVORITE?

problemz

Community Member
Jun 6, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
SX 4 or 5
I was wondering what pets you have. I have had cats, and fish. I think I SHOULD like neon tetras or angelfish, but in fact my favorite fish was an albino catfish with bulbous eyes that just sat on the bottom of the tank when it wasn't cleaning algae off the sides. It wasn't a beautiful fish, nor did it have grace or charm. It was technically an ugly fish. It had no personality. But I liked it. I have had various kinds of pets (a frog, a cat, an ant farm) and enjoyed each one of them for a while and then tended to forget entirely about them. I have a few inanimate objects I've liked: stones, rocks, books, comic books, but after a while I usually just forget about them but might get attached to a writer that lived long ago or in another country without actually knowing them. I might also get attached to a character in a comic book series (Green Lantern fascinated me when I was a kid). I don't think inanimate objects or pets are a good substitute for people, but someone might fall in love with Black Beauty, I guess, or with the spider in Charlotte's Web. Not me much. I like some people who have been in my life the whole time. I really love my immediate family in which I grew up, my friends from childhood neighborhood, and my nuclear family now, and all (ok, most) of their friends. I also like my wife's family a LOT. Can pets or inanimate objects ever replace people for you? In general I like French speaking people as I like that language quite a bit. Can you name a pet or inanimate object that actually is like a person to you and that you would weep over for a year if they were to be lost, or died? I can't picture this. When the albino catfish died, and floated to the top, I just got another one. It didn't matter a lot. I hadn't even given it a name. Even when cats died on me, I only cared about disposing of it. I hadn't bonded at a tremendously deep level. I do that with people only, and only very few.

Last edited:
I've had cats, dogs, and fish.

I think dogs by far. Followed by cats. I actually dislike fish.

Reactions: rawr
kitties!

then dogs.

Cats ... then rats ... then fish. :D We had several Platies and it was always fun to watch the tank for baby Platies. Even though my husband was happy to get rid of the tank so he wouldn't have to clean it, he wants to try a salt water tank sometime. My answer is no! lol

Just wanted to pop in to say... I agree that this topic totally warrants full title caps. :m026:

I've had lots. Dogs, cats, fishes, lizards, spiders, mice, birds.

I have none. I tried to have a dog a few years ago (first since high school), and realized I had no time for a large and energetic dog. I had a couple of kittens last year and they were awesome, but it turns out I have cat allergies that fuck with my breathing. I was choking in my sleep.

I'm not big on pets anymore. The whole thing can be heartbreaking.

I've had three budgies Wally, Woody and Cuckoo, all who died. One, when left out of his cage flew into the fire. I've also had numerous goldfish. I lived with a group of people who adopted two dogs and while I didn't own them, I would still consider them as my pets.

I would love to have a dog but I don't have the room right now.

I love animals in general, and I've had a variety of pets...cats, dogs, fish, birds, etc. and I've loved them all. Over the years, cats have become my favorites, and I currently have two. I believe what I like so much about cats is that they think so much like humans. Dogs have really good short-term memory, which is why they learn by repetition. Cats, on the other hand, have really good long-term memory, so they learn in a similar way to humans...they experiment and remember. Plus, they are quite self-sufficient compared to dogs, who can't take care of themselves nearly as well and therefore rely on you for EVERYTHING. That's not to say that cats don't want and need attention and affection. The idea of the "independent" (ie "aloof") cat is a myth. A cat who is neglected will become aloof, but when treated with affection, they are every bit as affectionate as a dog.