PCs vs. Macs: A Cultured Smackdown | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

PCs vs. Macs: A Cultured Smackdown

I think the point he might have been going for, but of course I could be wrong, is that macbook pros (and that one generation of macbooks, I recall) have a better external build. The aluminum, I would think, can take a little more abuse than the plastic found on most laptops. I also don't get the warnings about HDDs. When I upgraded my PS3 HDD, my dad accidentally knocked the new HDD off a table (about 5 ft off the ground) onto solid tile, and it's never had any problems. My former coworker spilled water onto his macbook's keyboard. He was freaking out, but after letting it air dry for a couple of hours, it powered up just fine. I've never heard a story like this regarding an HP/Dell/Asus/whatever non-apple brand.
You have a point, and I should've clarified. The drive is much less likely to be damaged if it's not powered on.

Which could've been avoided if you had the original boot disk (or even a retail boot disk) handy. Not a problem with the computer, but rather a user error. This anecdote comes from someone who worked in a windows/linux/OSX repair shop for just a little under a year.
This also needs more clarification: the disc drive was physically damaged and wouldn't take any disc. Using the original disc (or even a copy) was out of the question.

That's not entirely true regarding the RAM. If you don't use Apple RAM, you have an extremely high chance of the system not properly recognizing the RAM or using it at the appropriate clocking speed, as some RAM needs a little tweaking via the MoBo bios to get the clock speeds to work as advertised. You can't get to the BIOS on a Mac, at least not easily. I also find that the thermal compound in apple laptops (never opened an iMac or Mac Pro to check) is usually correctly applied, whereas I usually had to reapply the thermal compound in HP and Dell laptops because it was smeared on way too thick (and sometimes a hardened mess by the time I got to it). That's a subtle difference I've noticed between the two.
I used aftermarket RAM and the Apple guys I worked with did, as well. This might've been true in older Macs, but anything 2007/2008+ doesn't seem to mind aftermarket RAM. You also might've been lucky with the thermal compound, or my coworker was unlucky, because he was cursing the people who applied it to his CPU. He removed/reapplied and his temperature went down 5C.

Also, Macs use UEFI, not a traditional BIOS.

Also, and this is just a rumor asaik, apparently the new all-in-one iMacs won't recognize a lot of after market internal drives.
That sucks.

The same can be said regarding the confusion as to why people insist on berating people who own Macs (or any Apple product), either it's A) the cool thing to do, or B) a result of envy because others can't afford or simply don't own that particular piece of equipment. These days, you could argue that the newer computers are worth the premium price. After all, there aren't any other machines with the thunderbolt port currently on the market. What's to come of that venture, I honestly couldn't say; history could repeat itself and the lesser format can snuff out the powerhouse port, or we could see a shift in power, like what happened when blu-ray overtook HD-DVD.

For the record, before I get called an Apple fanboy, I use a linux box and an iBook as my main computers (when I need computers).
My original post wasn't meant to berate Apple users, so I apologize if anyone took it that way. It's just frustrating when I hear someone say "I'm going to get a Mac because I'm just tired of my computer breaking!", and then a few months later I start getting questions about why their Mac has a virus or a sad face at bootup.

I don't care what people use. I just don't like misinformation to be spread around, but I guess whoever doesn't research something before they buy deserves whatever they have coming to them.

I would also say that I liked my Mac, quite a bit. I bought it because of the engineering quality of the Aluminum Unibody (I loathe the white/black Macbooks), but I got tired of being locked down to OSX, and Windows 7 boot camp drivers were pretty awful at the time (I've been told they have improved since then). I switched back to a Thinkpad and haven't looked back. OSX was fun for awhile, but I get more out of using Linux. It's all down to personal preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: ~jet
If I can get a device that does the same thing as Apple's product for lot less money, there's no reason for me to consider Apple.

Well, there is... two couches do the same thing for you... you sit on them. One, however, lasts decades while the other starts falling apart right way. The same tends to be discernible when you hit consumer testing services such as consumer reports. While apple isn't even IN every single category of product tested, every single category of product tested that DOES have apple in it is absolutely dominated in quality, reliability, customer satisfaction, performance, et cetera. They're the mercedes benz of the computer product industry for a reason. =3 Doesn't mean they're perfect, or that a savvy pc-er can't egg similar benefit from a lesser priced product like a pc (just like an auto mechanic could elicit better performance from his cheap car than a non-mechanic can)... but they are good, and denying that can really only be based on bias rather than actual statistics.

Of course, I'm also biased... through 25-odd years of using pc's and macs.

Most people who are anti-mac are
  • poor
  • haven't used mac
  • have bias against it based on incorrect assumptions about it
  • don't like things that are different from what they're used to

Granted, my experience could potentially be unique (probably not) but I've just not every had a bad experience with a mac product. My couches are falling apart, my pc's have become decorations, my kitchen appliances have a really short lifespan, I can't even buy a shoes anymore that lasts more than a few months, even from those that USED to make quality products, aka LLBEAN, etc... but my macs keep right on trucking. I just wish they didn't make their stuff at foxconn. It puts a damper on my wanting to upgrade to a new imac or iphone.

This thread just won't die........

Well sure, a provocative title directed at people who know better; kinda hard to pass up

Well sure, a provocative title directed at people who know better; kinda hard to pass up

Not my fault. This thread is a split from my Firefox 4 thread....

The horror the horror.... :m169:

Reactions: ~jet
Not my fault. This thread is a split from my Firefox 4 thread....

The horror the horror.... :m169:

See, you shouldn't have snapped at me back in that last thread :p haha

I'm guessing you haven't seen Pirates of Silicon Valley. It's a decent (and accurate) docudrama about the beginnings of Apple and Windows. From how they portrayed Jobs in the early years, I can believe the whole religious connection people have found regarding the company. Very fascinating.

2 things, first Macs are PCs, secondly this
why-not-to-buy-mac.jpg

Linux. (served!)

no, but seriously. linux.

okay, anyway.

Macs if and only if you are in a creative/artistic field (CS Suite, and other Adobe suites, composition software, etc.)
PC (Windows) for businesses and all other things.
Security and some Comp. Sci. things though, Linux might be the way to go.

So, my vote is PC.

(I dual boot Ubuntu Lynx and Win7)

Don't get me wrong, Macs are sleek and sexy, but PC is much more pragmatic.

Linux. (served!)

no, but seriously. linux.

okay, anyway.

Macs if and only if you are in a creative/artistic field (CS Suite, and other Adobe suites, composition software, etc.)
PC (Windows) for businesses and all other things.
Security and some Comp. Sci. things though, Linux might be the way to go.

So, my vote is PC.

(I dual boot Ubuntu Lynx and Win7)

Don't get me wrong, Macs are sleek and sexy, but PC is much more pragmatic.

There is no reason not to buy a mac for things business related, basically the reason to buy a Windows based machine over an OSX based machine is purely gaming reasons. I'd still rather have the mac for business applications because it's less likely to have security/virus issues. From what I've heard about Linux it's not exactly user friendly.

Also, interestingly OSX is UNIX certified, Linux is not, it's rather a clone.

Last edited:
fair enough, though Windows based are much more commonly accepted in the business world. Also, find a comprehensive security solution. Though i do see what you are saying.

you're right about the UNIX certification.

Linux is generally not that user-friendly, because it's just quite a transition from either Win or OSX. Depending on the distro though, the learning curve isn't too bad.

There is no reason not to buy a mac for things business related, basically the reason to buy a Windows based machine over an OSX based machine is purely gaming reasons.
Or compatibility issues(If you're going to buy a mac just to run windows...you might as well buy a pc), price-to-performance, better computer management. Though in a few years all this virtualization is going to make this whole pc vs mac thing moot.

Try something like knoppix and mess around a bit. It doesn't require an install on your HD so it's pretty neat as an introduction to linux.

Holy Shit here we go again, never seen this type f thread before...
1297547773971.jpg