Parents? | INFJ Forum

Parents?

Jan 14, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Unknown
I was just wondering what determines someones personality type. I know we are born with it, but which personality types are more inclined to price a particular personality type... If that's even how it works.

So, what types are your parents and how do you on with both of them?

My mother is an ISFJ and my father is an INTJ. I get on much much better with my dad, we share the same sense of humour, we have deep conversations and life's mysteries and he's much easier to communicate with.
My mum, on the other hand, is very sweet and kind at her core. I do find it difficult to communicate with her and we frequently argue. I think she's a lot more sensitive than me, and that is saying something.

Any contributions appreciated :)

I get along quite well with both my parents, my father more though. My dad's an INFJ, we share the same sense of humor and find the some of same subjects interesting. The main difference between my father and I is that he's extremely religious, but in a hidden personal way that he's never shared with me. With the exception of the love he daily shows to me and my mother, he's entirely focused on Roman Catholicism and God. Now in his 60's, his other interests are almost nonexistent. He tells me that he lives in his mind. Regardless, I can always talk to him about life's problems, and he's shown nothing but love for me.

I get along well with my mother, but we don't have the same deep mutual understanding that I have with my father. Also she exhibits extroverted behaviors like mirroring the emotions of whoever she's dealing with, (even nosy taxi drivers) wheras, I only mirror people I genuinely like.

I disagree that we are born with it, I think it's a combination of both nature and nurture. As to the actual question it's a bit hard for me to know on a biological basis since I was adopted as a baby but my father is ENTJ and my mother is ISFJ.

Reactions: endersgone
My father was an ISTJ and my mom is an ENFJ; I am an INFJ that got along relatively well with both parents. I appreciated my father's sound and practical logic, and my mother's sheer determination and superhuman care/warmth.

I think personality is genetic, somehow, but we learn to use our preferred cognitive functions differently depending on our environment. For example, my father had underdeveloped tertiary Fi and abused my fledgling Fe with his brutal, emotionless Te. So, I began using weak tertiary Ti (It can only be as good as the function above it) to support a damaged Fe. What this turns into is over-clarification and horrible social skills, among other things.