Parenting Style Test | INFJ Forum

Parenting Style Test

Perfect Parent Syndrome (Scale 0-100)
Score: 36

You scored fairly low on this scale. According to your responses, you have a hard time imagining why someone would strive to be a "perfect parent". You don't especially want to invite that kind of stress into your life, or into the lives of your kids, for that matter. You want your kids to be able to enjoy their childhood and look back fondly on it. You trust that even if you let them watch some TV, and even if you aren't always involved in all their activities, they'll still manage to become happy and functional people. People who want to be "perfect parents" risk stressing themselves out - in addition to the rest of their family - because of their constant struggle for perfection.

***This is absolutely my parenting style. I focus more on showing them ways to be more independent and to think for themselves. This will benefit them more in the long run. ***

You scored fairly low on this scale. According to your responses, you have a hard time imagining why someone would strive to be a "perfect parent". You don't especially want to invite that kind of stress into your life, or into the lives of your kids, for that matter. You want your kids to be able to enjoy their childhood and look back fondly on it. You trust that even if you let them watch some TV, and even if you aren't always involved in all their activities, they'll still manage to become happy and functional people. People who want to be "perfect parents" risk stressing themselves out - in addition to the rest of their family - because of their constant struggle for perfection.

spacer.gif
You scored fairly high on this scale. Although you're not quite on the complete extreme when it comes to the perfect parent syndrome, you are still rather intent on ensuring that your kids' childhood is as close to the ideal as possible. While your goal is admirable, you risk stressing yourself out - in addition to the rest of your family - by striving for perfection. No one is the "ideal" parent, so don't feel bad if you or your kids can't live up to the standards you've set. You'll have an especially difficult time if you have a partner who doesn't share your "perfect parent" (or nearly perfect) ambitions.

i would be very protective of any kids i had and i would find it extremely difficult to allow them to make their own mistakes.

favourite parenting phrase ever: "Shut up or I'll give you something to really cry about".

That;s a really awful phrase :/ Also, I think you should retake this test when you have kids and have had them a few years. Your answers will change :p

Reactions: invisible
That;s a really awful phrase :/ Also, I think you should retake this test when you have kids and have had them a few years. Your answers will change :p

i think its kinda cute.

i think that no matter how old they got, when they were out i would never sleep, and when they were in i would cry myself to sleep over their learning experiences. (i better never have them)

Really? I think it sounds like something an abusive 50s husband would say to his kids :D I said it to my kid once and I felt so guilty after. My dad used to say it to me all the time. It implies that what they are crying about is trivial and ridiculous and that if they don't stop a good slap is what they'll get.

Reactions: hush
Really? I think it sounds like something an abusive 50s husband would say to his kids :D I said it to my kid once and I felt so guilty after. My dad used to say it to me all the time. It implies that what they are crying about is trivial and ridiculous and that if they don't stop a good slap is what they'll get.

i was just kidding around - that phrase gives me the chills. i do understand how a very stressed out parent could say it, but i hope i never would say it. but you can never know what you would do until you are in the situation.

"If you don't stop a good slap is what you'll get", lol. classy.

oh yeah, its totally classy!

By the way, the one and only time I said it was after 10 minutes of my kid whining and screaming cause I said no she couldnt have a chocolate bar. One of the most painful things about being a parent is going into it thinking "I'll be nothing like MY parents. I'm so much better than that." and then in a weak moment or times of stress having your mother or father emerge. You really do copy what you learn, even in parenting techniques. It's been a lot of concious unlearning at times!

46. I'm the more laid back parent. Peanut butter sandwhiches it is, even after the "he needs more fruits and veggies" lectures I'm familiar with.

I'd rather parent as a partner, too.

25 - same description as the other parents on the low scale. :D

I like to think I'm raising adults. I want them to be prepared for life, and also have a happy childhood in the process.

50/100

You scored in the mid-range for this scale. According to your responses, while you may understand the urge to be a highly involved and nearly perfect parent, you know that trying to raise children in a faultless manner is next to impossible. You want your kids to be able to enjoy their childhood and look back fondly on it. You may read a few books on childrearing and be highly involved in your kid's activities, but you'll still let them be kids. You believe that they'll still manage to become happy and functional people regardless of what you do. People who want to be "perfect parents" risk stressing themselves out - in addition to the rest of their family - because of their constant struggle for perfection.

I'd probably be highly involved when they're little, but back off when they're adolescents unless they want me in their lives. I'd never be the parents that becomes a complete dictator, but when they're little I'd want to make sure I set them on the right track. I'd also want to make sure I lay out clear rules for whatever I'd be strict on. If they fall off of it when they're older, there's not much I can do about it. Pressuring them when they're teenagers would only severe the relationship between them and me. I think at that point the most important thing I could do is to make myself an approachable friend so they can talk to me about anything they desire. When they're teens, I'd only make sure that they don't get a girl pregnant, do any hard drugs, and at least pass their classes.

Really though, imo the best thing I think I could do for my unborn children is to not bring them into this hellhole of a world.

favourite parenting phrase ever: "Shut up or I'll give you something to really cry about".

Sounds like something I'd sarcastically say to my teenage children if they're complaining about something trivial. I would never really mean it.

Snapshot Report
Perfect Parent Syndrome

You scored in the mid-range for this scale. According to your responses, while you may understand the urge to be a highly involved and nearly perfect parent, you know that trying to raise children in a faultless manner is next to impossible. You want your kids to be able to enjoy their childhood and look back fondly on it. You may read a few books on childrearing and be highly involved in your kid's activities, but you'll still let them be kids. You believe that they'll still manage to become happy and functional people regardless of what you do. People who want to be "perfect parents" risk stressing themselves out - in addition to the rest of their family - because of their constant struggle for perfection.

53 - Perfect Parent syndrome

Lol, I've said that to Abby a couple of times I'm sure. Without the shut up of course.

More like "Alright, enough! Are you really going to act like this right now? Quit the crying now or I'll give you something to cry about."

Pry not the best thing to say, but I don't feel bad about it. It's not really a threat so much as putting things in perspective for her when she's throwing a teary foot stomping fit when she isn't getting what she wants when she wants. lol

I'm the kind of parent that reads every parenting book but becomes overwhelmed by all the styles and throws them all out the window and wings it. I don't know what's less stressful. *bites nails*

my kids are fucking awesome

Reactions: Siimplicity