Other living things out there | INFJ Forum

Other living things out there

Krumplenump

Community Member
May 29, 2009
MBTI
eftagawrg
I have never been one to think much about things beyond our planet. At first I think it was just dissinterest, then I noticed I had a sort of underlying fear of it, where thinking too much about other planets and the sheer endless vastness of the universe would make me feel so utterly trivial. Now, though, I have been grasping the topic differently and have focused on thoughts of life somewhere that is similar to ours. I mean we are all so subconsciously comforted by familiar things as seemingly bland as a chest or drawers or a matress or an alarm clock, and yet while we are slumbering amongst all these madmade nicknacks of familiarity, SOMEWHERE maybe billions upon billions of miles away there's another 'kid' or offspring of a some couple sleeping underneath different stars, several moons or nothing at all. The thought that someone or something not so dissimilar to us could be having similar thoughts or at least existing with similar nicknacks around them is something I can't satiate even if I can grapple it. There could be a planet somewhere full of foot-tall humanoids, and all their drawers would be a few inches high. Skin colour, size, body hair I mean why on earth have we evolved as uniform as we have?, adapting to surroundings of course, but why did those surroundings end up like that, what on earth made planet earth initiate the road to life and why us why now?

Beleiving in life out there with no solid proof is of course something that these days is still viewed as eccentric if not totally unrealistic, but thinking about it recently has really sort of numbed me to normal daily 'human' events' like driving or talking with some stranger. I can't help but be only semi aware due to thinking this is all so trivial. I must say though that it's not been a full day since I've started thinking like this, and I reckon after thinking and thinking some more i'll turn what i now see as a slightly bleak situation surrounding concepts I feel i can't satisfy in understanding, into something that'll make me more positive about my daily pursuits. That usually happens.

It would be so sobering I think if we humans established 'trade links' or some sort of contact with other worlds and species, I think that despite the apocalyptic hollywood drama side of communication with 'aliens', it would have an enlightening self-awareness-boosting effect if that happened. Things like the Israel-Palestine conflict would, for me at least (who has an ongoing interest in that sort of thing) just melt away into obscurity and unimportance. I think it would be refreshing to have contact with other worlds and ways, just like I used to sometimes look at a world map and curse it's familiarity, wishing the borders and coasts, mountains and seas were jumbled up into an entirely new order, a fresh start.

We have formulas for how many earth-like planets there are, then multiply our own likelihood of creation and evolution by that number. We get a fairly decent amount of planets with this number, about 100-1000 in our galaxy should be showing signs of life.

The only problem is, we listen and there is nobody out there. We sweep out the sky for light signals, and all is quiet. I personally think the problem is that we assume that the life out there, if any, is like us. We assume that we'll pick up an evening broadcast of their "I love Lucy", just reaching us via radio waves.
the_search.png

I think there is life out there, we just haven't figured out how to find it yet.

We have formulas for how many earth-like planets there are, then multiply our own likelihood of creation and evolution by that number. We get a fairly decent amount of planets with this number, about 100-1000 in our galaxy should be showing signs of life.

The only problem is, we listen and there is nobody out there. We sweep out the sky for light signals, and all is quiet. I personally think the problem is that we assume that the life out there, if any, is like us. We assume that we'll pick up an evening broadcast of their "I love Lucy", just reaching us via radio waves.
the_search.png

I think there is life out there, we just haven't figured out how to find it yet.

Well considering the same laws of chemistry, biology, and physics apply throughout the universe, the chances of sentient life sharing similarities to what we find on Earth is pretty high. If there is other life within our exploration capabilities, we'd find it.

The problem is there are around 400 billion stars in our galaxy. It takes 4.2 years for the speed of light to reach our nearest extra-solar star, and any signals we've sent out hasn't even reached it. The only thing we can currently do is sit and wait for something to contact us. I'm pretty sure whatever's out there, whether being more advanced or not, has the same problem.

the_search.png

Well if they advanced enough they may indeed use methods of communication that humans as far as can be discerned have been unable to employ or are even aware of. Imagine our human society beaming signals into the vast and expansive firmament that shrouds the Earth. These signals pass a planet with a society whose level of technology is relative to Europe during the dark ages. Members of this society may be searching for " others" but not see us; and likewise because they are not transmitting signals like us we are not aware of them.

Wikipedia said:
A tachyon (pronounced /ˈt