[INFJ] - Orientation During Meditation | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Orientation During Meditation

ThomasJ79

Intertwined
Oct 10, 2012
MBTI
Ni
Enneagram
Do you tend to meditated outward or do you meditate inward?

inward......even when outward

For myself, it's intently inward focused, but with a tendency for outward projection. It's like trying to keep a helium balloon from trying to rise into the air; the slightest movement sends it around your hand and up into the air it goes.

I think I would tend toward outward when I'm outside. Something about being in an open space.
But oftentimes I feel like not drawing attention to the fact that I am meditating, since I often just go into that 'space', so then it is mostly inward.
I've not really considered it much though - I really should meditate more. I've known this for ages but I effectively meditate often but rarely dedicate time to it.

Can you elaborate on what you're talking about more though?

I don't understand the distinction between the two terms enough to give a proper answer.

But I can tell you that when I meditate, I focus on my breath and everything else glides around and away from that focus.

I practice non-doing meditation. My attention may be focused on an inner state or the external environment but more importantly I am simply aware of what is happening.

This cultivates understanding by allowing space between myself and the content of my experience which can then be seen more clearly and objectively with less attachment.

My main form is Shikantaza, which is a non-doing meditation like [MENTION=2263]bagelriffic[/MENTION] describes

I compare it to being an antenna - it's just there and receives everything. Out and in aren't really separate to begin with.

Can you elaborate on what you're talking about more though?

I'm not really sure... :/ Out of curiosity I was reading some books on meditation and happiness and realized that I could never meditate with the end goal of happiness in mind, which is more about inner transformation, which leads me to believe that one would have to focus on the self. I suppose mediatation is in itself more about inner transformation, but I think when I focus outward, I feel as if I'm connecting to something higher than myself, like to nature or a higher consciousness, which could lead to an inner transformation, only more indirectly. I think ultimately I like a balance between an inner and outer orientation, but just find in more difficult to turn inward. I don't know if that makes any more sense. It's difficult to articulate.

someone once described it to me in regards to your personal energy level... meditating outwards sends your extra chi out into to the universe... if you have low chi then you gather from the universe and send it inwards... and depending upon what you choose, you can push a pressure point on either side of the your thumbs (right next to the nail) with your pointer finger as you meditate to facilitate... i’m pretty sure pressing sides next to you pointer fingers send energy out and the opposite sides send energy in...

well this is interesting. I never considered there being a difference. Personally, I listen to music when I meditate and if I focus enough it seems like the music is my consciousness. So, everything considered, I guess that'd be an "internal" mediation?