Openness to people and new experiences | INFJ Forum

Openness to people and new experiences

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
How open are you to new experiences or people? What are the limits to your openness?

Reactions: PintoBean
I think I tend to come across as very open, but yet I don't think I'm actually that open. Like I'm open about things that I view as not very important, that other people may think is more important... and then the things that I actually find important, or really personal, I save for certain people.

I don't know about new things. It depends.

I'm generally pretty open as long as I can approach it in small steps and in my own way.

an example would be my friend a few years ago pushing Arabic culture and religion down my throat really turned me off learning more about that part of the world but now I've found my own interests in Persian language and culture I want to perhaps give it another go and approach it from my own standpoint.

On the other hand I'm not particularly open to sharing details about my personal life with others, does that affect my answer?

Depends.

People - I'm accepting about different lifestyles, political views, spirituality, cultures, deviance, sexuality, straying from norms, etc, as long as the action/philosophy doesn't *harm* others. (I'm not shy about tell people to bug off if they are cruel, bullies, abusers, white power, etc. LOL)

Religion - Believe whatever you want. Don't make me believe it, too. No, really, go away with your pamphlets! Be gone! (Edit: I am open to learning, listening, discussing, and enjoy this with friends, but don't like the "you must join or burn" pamphlet waving.)

Food - I'm very curious about unfamiliar foods and culinary practices, despite my limited diet.

Entertaining Experiences - As long as I'm not including in said entertainment, I want to see it!

Travel - Let's go!

Fun / harmless activities - Yay!
Unless it involve standing in a giant crowd for several hours - :/

Actions - If it involves being in the spotlight, or heights, NO.
I think I'm a wimp compared to many of my friends who do some death-defying feats, but they call me 'brave' because I do things they wouldn't do.

Last edited:
I think I am pretty open to people. I like to hear all different opinions and sides to an issue (and then argue about it). I am generally comfortable around people from different cultural or socioeconomic backgrounds. Maybe because I have had kind of a weird life with varied experiences and jobs where I met and worked closely with all different types of people.

Experiences, probably not so much. I used to really like traveling all over the place, but I am super homebody now. Basically, if my dog can't come, the experience usually doesn't have much of an allure for me. As far as other experiences go (foods, films, whatever), I guess you could say I know what I like now, so I am less experimental than I have been in the past.

I think I am pretty open to people. I like to hear all different opinions and sides to an issue (and then argue about it). I am generally comfortable around people from different cultural or socioeconomic backgrounds. Maybe because I have had kind of a weird life with varied experiences and jobs where I met and worked closely with all different types of people.

Experiences, probably not so much. I used to really like traveling all over the place, but I am super homebody now. Basically, if my dog can't come, the experience usually doesn't have much of an allure for me. As far as other experiences go (foods, films, whatever), I guess you could say I know what I like now, so I am less experimental than I have been in the past.

Ditto. By the way, I have a small request. Would you mind moving to Santa Monica this summer? That's it.

Reactions: PintoBean
I'm open to new people and somewhat to new experiences. I've am more culturally open, meaning I've always enjoyed meeting people from different backgrounds and experiences, and listen to them share what's it like to live differently, than I how I grew up. On the other hand, my openness has its limits in that I don't always agree or support every cultural custom, although I appreciate that there are differences. I'm more likely to step out of my concern zone, and extend a hand across borders so to speak, but I'm not going to put myself willingly into extreme situations alone, if I'm not sure what to expect and how to deal with it.

Religion: I'm not as knowledgeable as I would like to be about other belief systems but I'm not going to go out of my way to demean or avoid someone with a different belief system.

Food - Fan of some types, but others, not so much. It's a matter of taste. If it tastes good, I like it. However, there are certain foods or animals for example that are cooked in other cultures that I just can't imagine eating, simply because they were not considered "food" or part of one's diet early on. :D

Entertainment: I have a great deal of openness to different kinds of entertainment. I enjoy listening to music from different cultures, and love performances with different styles influenced from around the world. Not as many limits there.

Travel: Would love to visit other countries, especially Europe, more for the sight seeing, historical places, monuments, streets, etc. However, I'm probably more interested in learning about people than having long conversations with someone. Observation would be number 1 way to learn without actively participating.

Fun/Action: My limits to fun include any activity which requires risk to body. :) No extreme sports for me. I like dry land and won't put myself readily in harm's way. Not an adrenaline junkie.lol

Last edited:
I'm pretty open to everything and everyone but I don't do risky things or at least I try to minimize them. Not a fan of putting myself in harms way for the sake of an experience. There's plenty of other awesome stuff that will allow me to continue living awesomely.

Granted my life has already incidentally been pretty cray so I don't need to pile more on to it. Apparently somebody that knew El Chapo was in my home not long ago. So yea, sometimes I'm stupidly too open to things/people. Fuck it. YOLO.

i'm pretty open to new experiences, the biggest problem is letting go of what I already have, I feel like I'm too attached

It varies with my mood...it varies depending on who I am talking to/experiencing...it varies depending on what we are talking about or doing.
I like to think that I am open to new experiences and points of view, but I know I have my biases...I try to recognize and keep those in check but I know I fail sometimes.
There are some people who immediately turn me off (and vice versa), sometimes intuitively, sometimes after speaking to them, etc.
Any experience of the senses is fantastic...food, nature, good incense, sex, weed/wine, etc.
Remember to always have two vices so no single one becomes overdone.
I guess you could have none, but just because “none” rhymes with “fun” doesn’t make it so.
We are here on this Earth either as just the natural evolution of things and then our consciousness blinks out - so we should take advantage of the time we have - experiencing life.
Or, life continues on and there is/was some grand reason for us to live this physical life and so we should remember that we are physical beings meant to learn and experience whatever it is that life is all about - I happen to think that varies from person to person...but nonetheless, this is a physical existence for some reason, we shouldn’t forget to enjoy the physical experience of living.